Why become a member? ×

The most versatile 5 String £2k budget

AJC08

After making the transition from 4 to 5 strings, and having had a chance to play a bunch of other 5’s, I would say that neck feel and balance are the most important considerations. After that, a lot of 5’s just don’t have a good low B string. Some sound bad below the 5th fret, and some get fuzzy above the 7th. These things will drive you crazy if they are not right.

Think about what you can live with. My fretless Spector is wonderful, strung with low tension flats. However, the B sounds very tubby below the fifth fret. I work around it. I am not sure you can find a perfect bass for all styles in your price range, but certainly, don’t buy anything based on someone’s recommendation alone.You have to play them.

If you can wait until October, take a day out and head down the M5 to the Southwest Bass Bash, there will be all manner of 5 string instruments for you to try out. There's a thread on here somewhere from last years event which should give an idea what to expect. Other bashes are probably available, maybe even a midlands one. You won't find a better showroom! 

• Like 2

On 15/08/2022 at 16:12, thodrik said:

I didn't get a gig in a Black Sabbath/Deep Purple cover band because apparently my bass didn't look right and they wanted something that looked like a Fender, despite the fact that Roger Glover has played a Vigier Excess for decades and the bass that I brought to the initial rehearsal was...my Vigier Excess. 

This made me laugh. 

Because Geezer never endorsed Vigier, nor played an Excess, did he? 🤣

• Confused 1

On 16/08/2022 at 20:32, garyt said:

If you’re going to spend £2k on a 5-string, you have to try a load out.  Worth a day in a shop if you’re near to one.

Stingray V is my favourite.

I’ll have to edit this - I was trying out a load of basses a couple of years back, and the Stingray was still my favourite, although nothing beat the low B on the Dingwalls.  If I was considering another 5, it would be a Dingwall. 

And with that budget they'll probably be very happy to help you out, that's very tidy sum of cash right that.

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

This made me laugh. 

Because Geezer never endorsed Vigier, nor played an Excess, did he? 🤣

Nope, never happened. I totally imagined seeing him use one on the 97 reunion show I saw on video when I was 12 which inspired me to eventually buy one six years later. 

Of course, some retro bands really want to focus on vintage gear, so want people to use instruments the band used in the 1970s rather than what they used in the 1990s. 

• Like 2

Sorry to derail this thread but does anyone know how the Sandberg JM (older shape) compares to a Lakland 55-02. This one I mean.?Im aware sonically they might be different, or will they sound the same... Is an MM J an MM J. Ive never payed a Sandberg before. I really dig the  MM J setup for its fatness on the MM switchable coils. The LH3 on the Lakland is obviously what they use on the USA Lakland and I can't see anything sounding better.  But looks wise I dig a jazz bass. 

sandberg-jm5-ts-hg.jpg

Edited by bubinga5

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Sorry to derail this thread but does anyone know how the Sandberg JM (older shape) compares to a Lakland 55-02. This one I mean.?Im aware sonically they might be different, or will they sound the same... Is an MM J an MM J. Ive never payed a Sandberg before. I really dig the  MM J setup for its fatness on the MM switchable coils. The LH3 on the Lakland is obviously what they use on the USA Lakland and I can't see anything sounding better.  But looks wise I dig a jazz bass. 

sandberg-jm5-ts-hg.jpg

This is going back a few years, but when I A/B a Skyline to a Sandberg I much preferred the Sandberg in terms of playability. However I am very much a Fender-design fan so I am at home with anything in that style.

In terms of pickups and preamp, it really comes to personal taste. To me the Sandberg MM pickup in the JM position doesn't give a proper MM type feel (to me it is more like a really powerful jazz bass pickup, which I really like). So if you want pickup that can more accurately copy a single classic MM sound then Lakland might be a better shout for pure versatility. The Sandberg MM pickup though to me really blends well with the front pickup. 

In the end I bought a Sadowsky Metro, back when you could buy one for £1600. The Sandberg JM was a close second. 

My nephew actually has the Sandberg MM, which essentially to MM pickups. It is a beast of a bass. 

• 1 month later...

+1 for the Sandberg vm5.  A real versatile work horse of a bass.  Well made too. And they do a gorgeous black one too.  I tried a load of 5s a few years back and found most ( including an expensive Pedulla and a £2k+ zon) couldn't really hack the low B.  The Sandberg did and had loads of sound options too.

Not played a g&l 2500 mind.

No I didn't buy one. Got a Wal instead, just before prices leapt to stupid.  That's a great 5 string, but just silly money now.