Why become a member? ×

Fender Player Series Bass

Davee

5 minutes ago, lidl e said:

So you lads would rate the necks on these highly?

Im about to buy a player replacement neck for a project bass.

Yes, nothing wrong with the necks at all. My Player Precision and my 2012 US Standard look very similar and I have often played one thinking it is the other.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lidl e said:

They are really nice necks with a lovely satin finish on the back. For those interested in numbers, these are the front to back thickness measurements of mine as measured with digital calipers:

Black Player:

1st fret: 0.825”

12th fret: 0.905”

White Player:

1st fret: 0.800”

12th fret: 0.911”

For some context, the last USA P I had (2008) measured:

1st fret: 0.850”

12th fret: 0.955”

So the black player neck is far from what I’d call chunky, and is really comfy (and measures similar to a 2013 MIM P I had briefly), but the neck on the white one is a little slimmer, I guess almost as much so as the 2010-2014 American Specials. I guess there’s a chance the previous owner of the black one had the fretboard edges rolled, as it feels nice and rounded on the edges, near identical to the neck of the 2004 American Series P I had for years.

The neck on the white bass feels nice and slim but doesn’t feel as good on the edges. Both feel very fast with the satin finish on the backs. 

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

They are really nice necks with a lovely satin finish on the back. For those interested in numbers, these are the front to back thickness measurements of mine as measured with digital calipers:

Black Player:

1st fret: 0.825”

12th fret: 0.905”

White Player:

1st fret: 0.800”

12th fret: 0.911”

For some context, the last USA P I had (2008) measured:

1st fret: 0.850”

12th fret: 0.955”

So the black player neck is far from what I’d call chunky, and is really comfy (and measures similar to a 2013 MIM P I had briefly), but the neck on the white one is a little slimmer, I guess almost as much so as the 2010-2014 American Specials. I guess there’s a chance the previous owner of the black one had the fretboard edges rolled, as it feels nice and rounded on the edges, near identical to the neck of the 2004 American Series P I had for years.

The neck on the white bass feels nice and slim but doesn’t feel as good on the edges. Both feel very fast with the satin finish on the backs. 

Woukd you know is it 2.5"/63.3mm heel?

39 minutes ago, lidl e said:

They’re a very comfortable Pbass neck, think Fender put a lot of thought into these as they feel just right.

• Like 2

Fender high mass bridges for £21 at Richtone music 

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/Fender-HiMass-4-String-Bass-Bridge-Assembly-with-Zinc-Saddles/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_bieBhDSARIsADU4zLfIOpRldhsA7D0xnRgcc9JM-raWfhsQl0kT6I-uQyvWBpDtOx0oymAaAgGlEALw_wcB

I paid £40 for one for a project which didn't happen. 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Factor in the cost of the correct screws (Fender P/N 002-1422-049) and that's still only 30 quid. A bargain indeed.

28 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Sorry forgot to reply, I will see when I'm home, as long as that's something I can measure without removing the neck! 

I went ahead and ordered one so i can measure when it gets here!

Cheers, bud

• Like 1

On 28/01/2023 at 15:13, dmc79 said:

Sorry forgot to reply, I will see when I'm home, as long as that's something I can measure without removing the neck! 

If you get a chance, can you measure the top of the neck pocket like here. How long across:

Screenshot_20230129_190554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ee37709a892e382d42e1a920643f35e.jpg

On 28/01/2023 at 23:04, Mickyk said:

I was thinking of getting one of these,? could the old screws not be used to refit the Bridge.

Yep I used original screws when I swopped mine. Huge improvement and stopped the enjoying grubscrew unwinding 

Plus they look good too 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Sorry I never got back to you. I presume your neck has arrived by now anyway?

No worries, my man!

It has arrived and looks great. Body should be arriving this week.

I started a build thread for it even!

I suppose it will be a souped up player bass

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who've swapped out the stock pickguard on the Player P bass, which one did you use? As far as I can see, all models (apart from the latest FSR, see below) come with a 3-ply Parchment guard. If I want a B/W/B 13 hole guard, where am I best to look? Asking because I know the plate holes on non Fender plates don't always line up perfectly with the holes in the bass. But if you've found one that does, where was it from?

Also for anyone interested in a stealth black P, I just saw that a FSR black with black headstock and ebony board is up for pre-order now:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-fsr-player-precision-bass-ebony-fretboard-black/952503?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49ekhqvH_QIVtWDmCh1FLg_kEAQYAiABEgJv-_D_BwE

Edited by dmc79

5 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Thanks. Holes big enough for USA Spec CTS pots? 

Yes I generally put a KiOgon loom & CS62 pickups in my Mex basses and the looms have the US spec CTS pots, no problem with these pickguards.

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes I generally put a KiOgon loom & CS62 pickups in my Mex basses and the looms have the US spec CTS pots, no problem with these pickguards.

Awesome, exactly what I use. Thanks for clarifying

• 3 weeks later...

My white player has moved to a new home, so I’m left with this black beauty as my sole remaining bass. Modded with CS62 pickups, KiOgon wiring loom, Fender P / Tele knobs, and a 3-ply black plate. Black, black & maple: OOF!

AB1D6811-EB6D-4DB2-9FFC-0EDA9E4FFA71.thumb.jpeg.75904cd8f5317d8abb0fac3b7dc29658.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I recently modified my Fender Player P bass with a high-mass Kickass bridge and some Geezer Butler EMG pickups...  It's sounding pretty massive.  This one has an Ebony fingerboard.

343425502_1257590061557797_2020751626900865949_n.jpg

• Like 4