Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congratulations to @skankdelvar , a popular one with the voters and duly collected the reward of being the Honourable Picture Provider

By way of introduction ... 

"This month's pic is Forge Valley, Scarborough by John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836 - 1893). No great significance, it's just a picture I like."

image.png.d3a6e2a6b5dcd37014cf3a5a1d1ff6e3.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the Platinum Jubilee day truce didn't materialise . panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on Thursday 23rd June

good luck everyone 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NickD said:

Got to love a bit of Grimshaw, We have his 'Two figures in a moonlit lane' on our bedroom wall. It'll be at least mid-month until I get to sit down with this though... fingers crossed!

Oh, is he quite well known?

If I knew he was popular I wouldn't have liked it 😉!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Oh, is he quite well known?

If I knew he was popular I wouldn't have liked it 😉!

I'm not sure.

We saw a picture of his years ago while touring in Germany. Looked him up when we got back to find he was a fellow Yorkshireman. I don't think he was lauded at the time, as he was completely self-taught, and I get the impression the establishment looked down on that and his relatively humble roots

• Like 1

Here is my contribution to the June 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous  winner: Skank Del Var.
The yellowing sky gave me the impression ofa storm brewing. A bucolic scene, but could be deceptive.Some heavy raindrops, a brief shower..? Maybe it'll turn out fine after all...
Another collage of bits'n'bobs, with a Superior Drummer 'Tracker' experiment which seems to have worked. No treatment, other than my standard Reaper NY Glue on the Master tracks, as usual.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 5

I had heard of John Atkinson Grimshaw, I could claim that's because of my great knowledge of art and artists but I think it's because my ex wife's mum used to live on the same road as his blue plaque in Leeds. We weren't that far away either,  and I do like a bit of art, so somewhere in all that his name got logded in my head. And a good Yorkshire name it is too.

Sadly I'm still effectively working two jobs at the mo, but in any case that picture wasn't going to get the AC/DC juices flowing really. :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

'D'oh..!' begins with a 'D'

And Doldrums... Dong, dachshund and dreier  also begin with a "d" but they're probably not musical styles.

So it could be disco or  drum'n'bass, dubstep  or dunk, dock or da druben...

Or possibly just Dub.

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

And Doldrums... Dong, dachshund and dreier  also begin with a "d" but they're probably not musical styles.

So it could be disco or  drum'n'bass, dubstep  or dunk, dock or da druben...

Or possibly just Dub.

Or Dinner Music...

:D

Being laid up with a broken leg has some advantages (arguably!) - I had time to produce a fine example (arguably again!) of "Doh" music (*). I suggest either headphone, or a big hifi to listen as it's dribbling with big 'ol stereo stuff.

* Who knows what that means? Ask Doug!

There's 4 Basslines, a basket full of keyboard and drum VSTs and more echo/delay/phase/reverb plug-ins than you can shake a stick at. Found the vocal sample at Loopmasters, plus various other places for some sound FX. Most keys by me, bass by me, most drums programmed by me (had particular fun with cymbals!). Don't think my old laptop could have coped with all the fx, plus 2 or more instances of Neutron/Ozone/ShadowHills on every track. Got up to 50% of the 48Gb of RAM!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Being laid up with a broken leg has some advantages (arguably!) - I had time to produce a fine example (arguably again!) of "Doh" music (*). I suggest either headphone, or a big hifi to listen as it's dribbling with big 'ol stereo stuff.

* Who knows what that means? Ask Doug!

This 👇 is D'oh..! music...