Why become a member? ×

Those D'oh moments.

Maude

Last night if an eight show panto at a theatre in a town 1/2 hour from home. I'd been in the pit band so when the last show ended I dragged my amp out of the pit, gathered up my kit and headed for the stage door. Rather than carry the heavy amp across the car park I left it by the door , went back in for my bass and lead bag, came out got in the car a drive home to put my feet up and have nice glass of something.

Thankfully I didn't take the lazy option and leave my amp in the car until the morning and realized my mistake.

Luckily it wasn't raining and my amp was still there when I eventually returned.

• Haha 1

Recently did a gig where someone else was using my amp (combo and ext cab). 

Horrible farting noise coming from the combo, ‘crap, it’s blown the speaker’ we think, unplug that and just use the ext, ‘oh no, awful farting sound still, head is knackered, what can we do?’

Turns out the guy just hadn’t properly pushed his jack into his bass.  

Second set after someone else had used it, first chap back again - ‘oh no, no sound, head is fecked, check all the connections, it’s borked’ - he hadn’t pushed the amp end of the jack properly into the amp.

🙄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Intermittent noise, drove me crszy trying to track it down, finally traced to my phone under the head. Luckily rehearsal not gig...

Ah, they make that wierd staccato noise when near amps. 

Your phone related tale reminds me of another, not so much a D'oh moment but embarrassing oversight. 

In a now defunct band we used to open the second set with 'Blockbuster'. I'd found the correct siren noise online and looped it into a five minute mp3 file, and put it on my phone.

I used a Line6 X3 Live and I'd plug the phone in the line in and route it through the volume pedal, I could then just leave it running and fade in and out as needed. 

Start of the second set we'd get the fog going and had old school red and blue police lights either side of the stage, I'd then fade the siren in and folks would wonder what's going on, until the guitar riff kicked in. I'm smiling just remembering it. 

Anyway half way through the song at one gig my wife phones me to leave a message about something or other, only problem is the phone is routed through the PA and the whole place was treated to my answer phone and her message. 

I put it in flight mode from then on at gigs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Waaay back in 1987, our extremely good rock-pop band played a gig at a now-long-dead venue in Reading (the Majestic, for anyone who remembers it/cares) one evening - afterwards all the stuff gets loaded into the van ready for the next gig in London a few days later. We get to the London venue (the fabulous Red Lion in Brentford, RIP), all the stuff comes off the van... except for the long black case with 'Wal' on it... frantic phone calls all round, eventually in desperation I called the Majestic... "Ah yes, it's sitting in the manager's office...". A mate goes to pick it up, races up the M4 and puts it into my hands 5 mins before we go on...
From then on, my bass ALWAYS came home with me.

As a side note, that was the night I first met my ex-wife.

Edited by Rich

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Waaay back in 1987, our extremely good rock-pop band played a gig at a now-long-dead venue in Reading (the Majestic, for anyone who remembers it/cares) one evening - afterwards all the stuff gets loaded into the van ready for the next gig in London a few days later. We get to the London venue (the fabulous Red Lion in Brentford, RIP), all the stuff comes off the van... except for the long black case with 'Wal' on it... frantic phone calls all round, eventually in desperation I called the Majestic... "Ah yes, it's sitting in the manager's office...". A mate goes to pick it up, races up the M4 and puts it into my hands 5 mins before we go on...

It wasn't all a happy ending then. 😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rich said:

That can't be right... if she was your ex-wife, you must have presumably met her before when you got married. 

Unless it was an arranged marriage or something.

[/pedantry]

:D 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Rich said:

I should also mention that the fabulous Lawrie Keys at Tempo in Southall had been kind enough to lend me a bass for the night, so if the Wal hadn't arrived in time we'd still have been able to play.

• Like 2