Why become a member? ×

Gumplord

Gumplord

There was a programme about prog on the other night, and I had the great fortune to catch some of it.

Sadly, they were slightly lacking in the facts department.  They proudly trotted out their knowledge of prog trivia by telling us that Yes were the longest surviving prog band.  Never mind that Jethro Tull played their first gig under that name in February 1968, and numerpus gigs prior to that under different names♤, and those Johnny-come-latetelys at Yes wouldn't be arrissed to get put of bed until August. 

I was so upset I wrote an indignant letter of complaint to the Director General at the BBC before then becoming thoroughly confused when I remembered the programme had been on Sky Arts.

♤ In order not to risk being barred by venues who might not like their music Tull's promoter would change the bands name regularly.

Edited by Bassfinger
Went back through time to check

while we are on the topic of Prog and Punk...........

Coincidentally enough, I was listening to a podcast by brothers Steve and Paul Hanley of the Fall this weekend.

Younger brother Paul said that the slightly older people (like brother Steve) who were already into music pre-punk slagged off prog once punk came along, but secretly still listened to their prog collection.

The younger people, like Paul, who's first music was punk heard this call to to reject prog, and did.... and therefore never got the chance to really evaluate it.

9 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

while we are on the topic of Prog and Punk...........

Coincidentally enough, I was listening to a podcast by brothers Steve and Paul Hanley of the Fall this weekend.

Younger brother Paul said that the slightly older people (like brother Steve) who were already into music pre-punk slagged off prog once punk came along, but secretly still listened to their prog collection.

The younger people, like Paul, who's first music was punk heard this call to to reject prog, and did.... and therefore never got the chance to really evaluate it.

As with many music genres, film franchises etc etc IMO the hatred/dislike targeted at prog is probably less to do with the bands music rather than their, often rabid, fanbases. When groups of fanboys declare Rush/Tool etc are the greatest band ever and knock spots of everyone else that's what puts other people's backs up. It's fanboys on fora who keep harping on about things like these bands supreme technical prowess, use of complex time signatures blah blah. Diehard metalheads seem as bad. 

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

As with many music genres, film franchises etc etc IMO the hatred/dislike targeted at prog is probably less to do with the bands music rather than their, often rabid, fanbases. When groups of fanboys declare Rush/Tool etc are the greatest band ever and knock spots of everyone else that's what puts other people's backs up. It's fanboys on fora who keep harping on about things like these bands supreme technical prowess, use of complex time signatures blah blah. Diehard metalheads seem as bad. 

I think it’s just anyone that has a great interest in what they do or like personally😄

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

dislike targeted at prog

I got into punk as a 15 year old at school; previously I'd been into 50s type rock and roll, anything that jumped. But the 1st music that "spoke" was punk.

I remember all the other lads in my class (never the girls!) had nice clean denim jackets with Yes or Genesis (or similar) patches sewn on neatly by their mums. Me'n'Swamp'nSgav were the only ones in the school who dyed our hair pink, wore old prison jackets with "Slits" or "Members" handpainted (badly)on the back in fluorescent  orange (we couldn't afford to pay proper punk shop prices!). We were basically our own little tribe, with folks staring or shouting abuse or even attacking us. This feeling of rejection meant a reciprocal rejection - everything that wasn't punk was crap. Though Slits counted as punk, as did many new wave bands that most certainly didn't sound like punk; nowadays punk has to be a stereotype of what punk was, which was then a sort of rejection of the elitism of 70s rock and prog, basically an idea that anybody could have a voice or make music, even if they weren't fellows of the Royal Schools of Music!

Talking of which, my neighbour (Tull keyboards 76-80) tells a story of a tour in the US in early '78. They were waiting in the transit lounge of Chicago airport, which was like a hub for flights across America and bands would often meet there while touring. So Tull were there, as was Queen. Then in walked the Sex Pistols.

Freddie Mercury was at the bar, and Sid walks up to him and says "Oi, aren't you that geezer that did an album about faahkin ballet?". To which Freddie replies "I feel you were mistaken, it was about the opera, dear Mr. Ferocious"...

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 10:19, Rich said:

I think it's more about your user name :D

Thanks back to you for inventing jazz! 😎

You're most definitely welcome for the jazz! And perhaps the fact that I completely missed the Gumplord/ Forrest Gump connection speaks to the appropriateness of my username for me 🤣

10 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I tend to like Prog bands when they are not playing 'prog'.

Owner of a lonely heart, era Yes

Hold yor fire, era Rush

Invisible touch, era Genesis

Ha ha agreed, especially if they're sounding a bit Talking Heads ish..aka King Crimson's Discipline , not forgetting when they also went a bit dancefloor with Sleepless.