Why become a member? ×

Gumplord

Gumplord

1 hour ago, Gumplord said:

Hey my friends from across the pond... I've said it before, but thanks again for inventing progressive rock. It  could not have happened without the classical influence. 

You are quite welcome, my friend. Thank you for inventing the all-you-can-eat buffet and personal computers.

There was a long time in the UK when admitting to liking prog rock was akin to confessing to sex crimes but that has changed slightly in recent years. It still carries a stigma, that cannot be denied, but attitudes are slowly changing. Prog fans are now seen by most people as victims rather than criminals.

I am old enough to remember prog rock  back in the 1970s and it was a very strange time to be alive, both in a good way and a bad way. (Good way- King Crimson, bad way- too many to list!).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gumplord said:

I think the point is that you never know what you're going to get... not quite sure how that relates to this discussion. Like I said, you guys invented prog rock. Thanks for that!

I think it's more about your user name :D

Thanks back to you for inventing jazz! 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gumplord said:

Hey my friends from across the pond... I've said it before, but thanks again for inventing progressive rock. It  could not have happened without the classical influence. 

If I was in your position I'd be demanding reparations for the crimes of prog rock. 

Let us never forget the atrocities of artists such as Focus with their yodelling and Yes with their half hour keyboard solos. 

The only good prog band was Tool.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I guess A Perfect Circle and Puscifer could be included as well. 

I was just about to say, Prog Rock has developed quite a long way from the epic 70’s Hammond organ type offerings. Tool, Perfect circle and Porcupine tree showing that it can move with the times.  

A special thanks also has to go to the 70s progsters for making music go so far up its own arris that punk rock was born.

I don't mean all that fake underground US stuff like the New Yoick Dolls'n'MC5, but proper manufactured Sex Pistols-type punk, which gave rise to all sorts of exciting noises...

• Like 1

As a teenager in the seventies I associate liking prog with not being able to get a sh*g. It was a blessed relief when punk came along. Girls liked it too!

Luckily, I didn’t take the path of my cousin who pretended to ladies he liked T.Rex. He’s now got enough ex-wives and children to field his own football team. Plus subs bench.

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

A special thanks also has to go to the 70s progsters for making music go so far up its own arris that punk rock was born.

I don't mean all that fake underground US stuff like the New Yoick Dolls'n'MC5, but proper manufactured Sex Pistols-type punk, which gave rise to all sorts of exciting noises...

Absolutely.

That's a good example of DIY.

I'll extend the slight derailment with this: