Why become a member? ×

Tascam MPBT-1

Hot Tub

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='458078' date='Apr 9 2009, 08:32 AM']I know what it is and what it does, but what alternatives are there? Does anyone else do anything similar?

(I have actually tried searching this time! :rolleyes: )

:)[/quote]

I don't know about any identical alternative products, but I do own one of these, and its a great bit of kit. Particularly the ability to change key, which is a real benefit when you're learning songs for a covers band.

Again, not familiar with alternatives. Yes, great piece of kit, has proven indispensable on many occasions, for headphone practice, slowing down songs, changing pitch, emphasising bass, cutting bass for playing along. Simply a Swiss army knife of a practice tool.

Handy hint - if you have a PSP, you can use its power supply, the plug and the voltage/polarity/current supplied are perfect for it.

Criticisms - changing key/tempo can sound a bit odd/warbly. If you want a permanent shift, you'd be better loading the MP3 into Audacity and using the tools there to make the change and re-uploading the file to the Tascam.

I bought the guitar version as soon as it was available (I guessed there would be a bass version later, but I didn't want to wait and there was no comparable product)

If I didn't already have that (and the o5b-mobile: zoom H4), I'd get the newer [url="http://www.tascam.de/en/index.html"]tascam GTR1[/url] as it can do the MP3 trainer thing like the GT/BT with guitar & bass fx as well as rehearsal/gig recording like the H4. The big bonus for me is that it takes SDHC cards, I'd bung in a 8gb one (£10 from amazon for a sandisk one). I find having only 1GB available in my MP-GT1 is a bit of a pain whenever I have a new bunch of songs to learn as I keep it full.

The Boss BR Micro has similar features, although I believe you can't adjust mp3 volume (someone hear may be able to confirm/deny this) independently. I'll know soon enough as I should have one coming any day now.

I have a Tascam and the Boss Br micro. For quiet boppin'/practice the Tascam wins. The Boss will do that too but has a recorder and other clever bits.

I use the Tascam more often because it doesnt need recharging so often..... OR using with the power supply on.... the Boss seems quite power hungry.... Bit like the old CD BT1...

My opinion FWIW.....

that being said Boss have just bought a gucchi little Mic for teh BR which I have got to have....... (what a kid.... :) )

[quote name='tarcher' post='458732' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:15 PM']Sounds like a really useful piece of kit.
Could I record from a mic onto it and then use it for training,like if I got my teacher to lay down some guitar tracks then I could play my bass to it?[/quote]

Not sure if you can record directly to one but it will play any MP3's so all you need to do is record to your PC & save as MP3 & then copy across to the Tascam.

I have one of these at home & they are pretty useful for learning new songs :)