Why become a member? ×

Where is good to buy/try basses in London?

shoulderpet

After realising that I am going to have to return my most recent bass purchase I have come to the realisation that I would rather try basses in person than play the crapshoot game with buying online.

Just wondering where in London is good to try basses, am after somewhere with a decent selection where I will be left reasonably alone to try basses and where they are not going to have a heart attack if I lower the saddles on a bass if the factory action is a mile high

Thanks

Depends on what bass you're after really doesn't it? Basic Fender stuff is in most shops but if you're after a specific type of thing you're going to have to do some research yourself and track them down. Bass Gallery, GuitarGuitar, Wunjos and PMT amongst others are all in range around London. But i don't think any of them will let you loose with an allen key on a bass. Although having said that most of those places will check the bass out first if you think there is an issue with the set up.

Edited by Mudpup

Am sure all the others are good but the only one I've bought a bass through is Wunjo and they were superb. Just left me to it with the basses, didn't try to pressure me into the more expensive of the two I preferred... In fact didn't pressure me at all. Gave me a good deal on trade in for an old bass too. Can't speak highly enough of them.

36 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Am sure all the others are good but the only one I've bought a bass through is Wunjo and they were superb. Just left me to it with the basses, didn't try to pressure me into the more expensive of the two I preferred... In fact didn't pressure me at all. Gave me a good deal on trade in for an old bass too. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Brilliant, that sounds like exactly what I am after, will give them a visit

Given that you’re in Croydon, head over to Guitar Guitar in Epsom, it used to be my nearest outlet and I always found the staff helpful and not pushy. I was always also impressed by the way The Gallery just let you do your thing too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

Brilliant, that sounds like exactly what I am after, will give them a visit

Also, forgot to mention, when I bought my bass there in 2018 they gave free setups for life with it. Great if you're able to just drop in every now and then. If not, just shows they're wanting to look after their customers properly.

Another one for Wunjo. I’ve bought three (maybe four?) basses and a couple of amps from them and the experience has been consistently amazing. Good range of stock, no push, always happy for you to give stuff a try. 

Similarly to an earlier poster they have looked after me when I’ve done trades, and once same-day couriered a bass to my house because the weather was naff and they wanted to save me a journey to the shop. 

I mostly dealt with Laurence and Tom - if they’re still there, they’ll look after you.