Why become a member? ×

pocket pod line6

fifeq

• 3 months later...

[quote name='fifeq' post='48118' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:24 AM'][url="http://line6.com/pocketpod/"]http://line6.com/pocketpod/[/url]
why there is not bass version?? after sansamp that would be my second GAS[/quote]

from the line 6 website:
Can I use Pocket POD with other instruments besides guitar?

Yes! We cooked up an entire set of presets specifically for use with [i]bass [/i]and vocals, but you can get creative and plug in anything you've got with a 1/4 inch instrument level out!

[quote]from the line 6 website:
Can I use Pocket POD with other instruments besides guitar?

Yes! We cooked up an entire set of presets specifically for use with [i]bass [/i]and vocals, but you can get creative and plug in anything you've got with a 1/4 inch instrument level out![/quote]

It looks like it [i]can[/i] be used with bass but there are no bass-specific amps or cabinet.

There is a "Tube Preamp" that according to the manual: [i]"Also try using it as a direct box for bass"[/i].

[quote name='BassManKev' post='104706' date='Dec 15 2007, 05:34 PM']no, i wouldnt have thought so

same as the boss bassman pedal was designed for guitar i guess[/quote]

from the Fender website:

The ’50s Fender Bassman was the pro bassist’s answer to amplifying a great new invention: the Fender Precision Bass® guitar. This powerful 50-watt rig could easily compete with the common instrumentation of the day: horns, piano, four-piece drum kit with calfskin heads, and maybe even an electric guitar through a nice, new 10-watt amp! By the ’60s and ’70s, the original all-tube “Tweed” 4x10 Bassman was popular with rock, country and blues guitarists as a reliably great-sounding and easy-to-use guitar amp. Even some emerging British amp designers of the day copied its circuitry for use in their most celebrated designs.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='104709' date='Dec 15 2007, 05:45 PM']from the Fender website:

The ’50s Fender Bassman was the pro bassist’s answer to amplifying a great new invention: the Fender Precision Bass® guitar. This powerful 50-watt rig could easily compete with the common instrumentation of the day: horns, piano, four-piece drum kit with calfskin heads, and maybe even an electric guitar through a nice, new 10-watt amp! By the ’60s and ’70s, the original all-tube “Tweed” 4x10 Bassman was popular with rock, country and blues guitarists as a reliably great-sounding and easy-to-use guitar amp. Even some emerging British amp designers of the day copied its circuitry for use in their most celebrated designs.[/quote]

Yep, and the Fender Dual-Showman preamp design, that is very similar to the Bassman has found its way into the likes of the best Alembic, Ampeg, Marshall & Trace Elliot amplification.. and there is no doubt more!

the bassman was indeed designed as a bass amp, but a lot of guitarists took a shine to them and started using them to amplify their six strings.

I suspect the amp model is included for the use of guitarists but if its an accurate emulation then it should sound great with bass. It all comes down to how close line 6 came when they created the program for this amp- the only way you're gonna find out if its any good is probaly to try it...

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd let you know my findings guyz.

My mate brought round his pocket POD tonight and we stuffed it into my stack. We didn't spend a great deal of time editing patches, but I can confirm it sounds AWESOME through my gear! Filthy distortions to clean woolly bottom end.. even managed a wierd mark king rattley sound as well!

I think if one comes up cheap, I may just say WHAT THE HELL and buy!! - the darn thang takes batteries as well, so you can use it as a personal practice amp with earphones (and an MP3/CD line in) for silent practice.

We tried it with my guitar too. Some brilliant sounds in there as well. Obviously as a guitar unit, it will be.. but I was excited about the bass tones as well!

The unit, despite being a plastic box, looks really sturdy! It features a number of different connections.. a belt clip!! and the best bit? USB to connect to your PC! genius! You can edit patches using the line6 software.. and I wonder if you can use the line6 drivers as per the XT for latency free recording? That I don't know yet.

I think I have just fallen in love with distortion again ;o)

[quote name='ped' post='118922' date='Jan 11 2008, 11:50 PM']Nice, I am getting one then. Line6 are the best!![/quote]

Yes.. I do have a rather painful reminder of a recent sale I had to make. If that wasn't bad enough.. my car siphened another 180 quid from my bank account today. It has been a very expensive couple of months!

[quote name='ped' post='118926' date='Jan 11 2008, 11:55 PM']Hmm the lil thing is about £60 odd - thought it was cheaper! Might stick to my XT pro then - maybe I can put a belt clip on it!![/quote]
I'll give you £60 for your XT Pro so you can get a pocketPOD...

• 3 years later...

I've had one since they came out.
IMO they're great little things for using with a guitar but are rubbish with bass. The few presets that are specifically for bass are awful & there is little to no tweakability on the guitar settings to make them usable for bass.