Why become a member? ×

Changed strings now got fret buzz

Jimothey

4 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Usual drill - capo on fret 1, hold down at last fret, release quarter turns till you get about 2.0mm -> 3.0mm at fret 8

2-3mm relief does sound huge. Unless you mean action height… and I’d be careful about letting it settle after each quarter turn - it can take a while for it to settle. 

8 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got 2 jazzes with daddario black tapes, really great strings, they are super smooth when played in 

Thats what I've changed to, I've never had nylon tapewounds before but I'm loving the feel and sound of them!....👍🏻 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I get fret buzz when I put new strings on, they soon bed in, I use DR neon's and it really shows up how the strings wear when they touch the frets, like a little groove 

This is a good point. If you remove all the strings at once, rather than changing them individually, the neck relaxes and angles back as the tension is taken out of it. When you put on the new strings, it can take a while to be puled back into its previous position by the string tension. It's worth leaving it for 24 hours before adjusting the truss rod, so it can settle.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

This is a good point. If you remove all the strings at once, rather than changing them individually, the neck relaxes and angles back as the tension is taken out of it. When you put on the new strings, it can take a while to be puled back into its previous position by the string tension. It's worth leaving it for 24 hours before adjusting the truss rod, so it can settle.

Good point, and I'll generally change one string at a time (A/D/G/E) but it depends a lot on the neck itself. I have a Westone Thunder where the neck seems very very stable and doesn't seem to 'be bothered'. It's laminated (I can see  as it's the natural finish) and I suspect that is related. And it's generally rock solid.

Meanwhile other basses, and I'm looking at OLP Musicman copies here, seem to need constant truss rod attention on string changes and generally.

Not laminated so I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Then you get into half sawn / quarter sawn timber etc.

Carbon Fibre ? - above my budget ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2021 at 22:51, Jimothey said:

Hi all

I changed strings from a set of flats to a set of black tapewounds and now I've got a fret buzz on the 1st fret on the E and A strings and can't figure out why its happening, any ideas anybody? 👍🏻 

You will need to do a full set-up. Going from flats to tapes is a huge tension change and the neck will have moved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

You will need to do a full set-up. Going from flats to tapes is a huge tension change and the neck will have moved. 

I have done a set up on it now the neck needed about 1/2 turn which I did in two 1/4 turns about 8 hours apart then I left it overnight, checked it this morning and the action needed to be lowered a little bit and it plays lovely now 

Thanks everyone for the advice....... 👍🏻 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

I have done a set up on it now the neck needed about 1/2 turn which I did in two 1/4 turns about 8 hours apart then I left it overnight, checked it this morning and the action needed to be lowered a little bit and it plays lovely now 

Thanks everyone for the advice....... 👍🏻 

Good job! Once you’ve done a few the truss rod adjustment becomes second nature, and you get used to how it affects action. You’ll also learn how the bass changes depending on the season and if it needs mid year tweaks as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2