Why become a member? ×

Zoot 'Wal-a-like' - FINISHED

Bass Culture

On 16/02/2022 at 14:14, Cosmicrain said:

I've been able to work a bit more on Mark's bass.  Here are the latest update pictures.

zal3.jpg

Saw this and immediately thought this bass would look mint with an ebony top!

On the rest of the build, looking awesome so far, Mike is so quick haha!

Whereabouts are you now @Cosmicrain? Last time I popped to see you was in Witham….long time ago!

Si

22 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Saw this and immediately thought this bass would look mint with an ebony top!

On the rest of the build, looking awesome so far, Mike is so quick haha!

Whereabouts are you now @Cosmicrain? Last time I popped to see you was in Witham….long time ago!

Si

Hi Si, I'm now working from a workshop at the rear of my house in Silver End, which is about 5 miles from Witham.  Mike.

• Like 1

Great catch-up with Mike yesterday - thanks @Cosmicrain.  The bass looks great, the wood is much more interesting close up than in the pictures and the shape works brilliantly.  Bit unsure about the gold but Mike’s convinced it will look good when the wood darkens after the finish is applied. Very happy with progress.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2022 at 10:10, Bass Culture said:

Great catch-up with Mike yesterday - thanks @Cosmicrain.  The bass looks great, the wood is much more interesting close up than in the pictures and the shape works brilliantly.  Bit unsure about the gold but Mike’s convinced it will look good when the wood darkens after the finish is applied. Very happy with progress.

I think the gold will look great. I've never been scared of gold hardware on the right bass (it looks awesome on a red bass, for example). Like you, I think gold screws would work really well for the pickup surrounds. The only thing I'm not totally sold on so far is the headstock shape, but a.) that's just me being picky and b.) it's your bass :D 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rich said:

The only thing I'm not totally sold on so far is the headstock shape, but a.) that's just me being picky and b.) it's your bass :D 

Yep, personal taste. We used this shape on my ZB-1000 too, as I like the symmetrical placement of the tuners.  It’s more in keeping with the Wal original too.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 18:16, MoonBassAlpha said:

Any feel for the weight yet? Looks hefty somehow, but I know mahogany can vary a lot. But I hear Wals can be on the weighty side, so that would be authentic!

It's feeling fairly, er 'substantial', but no final weight yet.  My Funkmeister, which has a mahogany body also, comes in - very approximately - at about 9lbs.

• Like 1