Why become a member? ×

Burns Bison...anyone played one of the Korean versions?

thebeat

You're gassing for that monster? How?

I've played an old (very very old) one in a local music shop, and it just sounded and played awful. Really, really bad. It is probably different to the newer ones (which are almost certainly better) but I can't stress enough how hideous it was in terms of sound, playability, and of course looks.

Although it does look pretty cool. But I like bongos...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='455014' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:25 PM']Haha! I like Bongos, too!

I've always thought that the current Bison looks like a really cool alternative to a Precision - Especially in white with the gold hardware :)[/quote]

I actually love the looks too...but the white one is too tarty looking for me, the gold hardware kinda puts me off...would either be a black one or red one if i take the plunge...it's as an alternative to a Precision that i'm considering it. Suppose that i can always sell it if it i don't like it...at a loss if my past impulse buys are anything to go by :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a white Bison with gold gardware. The shop put it under the lights.
They knew how to make me pay!!!

Not sure where it was made (It's in the lockup as I type) but it's about 5-6 years old now.
It sounds great onstage and has more of a Ric sound than any of my Ric's!
It has a very long reach on the neck and a superb variety of sounds.
It also weighs a ton!

Edited by 12stringbassist

Shortest time I've owned a bass was one of the Korean Bisons. Think I turned it round in about 6 weeks, just couldn't get on with it. Neck seemed way too long (but I'm just under 5'8" without gorilla like arms) and I couldn't get comfy with it. Wasn't thrilled with the finish either, it was a black one but it was a matt finish and looked a bit cheap up close. Sounded OK but nothing special. Got pretty much what I paid for it and the buyer collected from me so no financial harm done ^_^

• 1 year later...

i know im diggin up an old thread here but just came across it and had to comment. Ive had my bison now for over a year and it STILL gets me giddy when i get it out of its case. Most times the novelty of a new bass lasts me about 4 months but this baby keeps me goin. Wanted one for ages and even tho i gas for other basses i could never top the feelin i have for the bison (only bass that could do it would be a Ricky 4005 in cherryburst!). Heres a pic of me rocking it at the Night N Day in Manchester

I tried a Korean one many moons ago, when trying (unsuccesfully) to find a Fender Jazz that I liked (tone-wise).
It was easily the best sounding bass I played that day! It played well, too (But this [i]was[/i] in the now legendary Wapping Bass Centre, and their instrumnents were nearly all superbly set up)
I liked the pick-up switching. The "wild dog" setting is good!
I'd have bought it, but it was white and gold, and looked like some tastless nouveau-riche individual's bathroom suite.
Had it been black/silver, I'd probably have bought it.
Now, I have too many black basses, and probably wouldn't bother... but only for that reason!

Always nice to see an old thread get a bit of new life...

I owned one at the height of my GAS around 2005. Nice bass, a bit too tricked out with all the settings (mad dog or snarling dog or whatever it was called was my favourite). Mine was the white Bison with the hardware. Good fun & it certainly had that vintage vibe.

I don't have a Burns bass, but I have a Double Six.

I played an original Double Six back in the day, just after Cliff & the Shads used one in 'On The Beach' from Summer Holiday.

That one was fitted with the special set of 'Octave Down' strings as used by Hank & was essentially a bass 12 string Fender VI equivalent(!!!!).

I can say that mine is better made, witha MUCH better bridge with 12 intonatable saddles (the original had an angled bar), has a great action and the TriSonics are a different flavour & hold their own.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem with a Bison Bass, although I'd actually prefer a Club Marquee bass - do they do a V?

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne