Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If you have a decent meter then yes, you should be able to tell. The 4 ohm is actually slightly higher than 4 ohm, its actually a little over 5, as it is 3 sets of speakers in parallel giving:

1 / (1 / 8+8 + 1 / 8+8 + 1 / 8+8) = 1 / (3/16) = 5.333 ohms

if one speaker has blown that 8+8 bit would be failed, so that would be 8 ohms

Although the other way is just play a bass through it and see if only 4 cones move!

yeh im kinda hoping its just a gremlin in the old peavey, i guess it wont hurt an amp really as its getting lower in ohms so waiting for my LG1000 to show up on thursday, and then hopefully look at grabbing an abm around beginning of sep. 

18 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Rehearsal last night and used my ABM600 for a change 

Found adding more 100hz and less 40hz improved the punch 

Still a great amp 

IMG_4674.thumb.jpeg.e613db218f8e241a56f8496226b8933c.jpeg

100hz is the one!

Flat and boost low mids. Job done. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Shape selected, boost 2.6, 5 & treble were my settings.

Yes for pick playing definitely shape selected ( less mids more bass ) 

Shape Button pushed in “flat” with fingers is a must unless you wish to be buried with no mids !! 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2023 at 23:27, Woodinblack said:

If you have a decent meter then yes, you should be able to tell. The 4 ohm is actually slightly higher than 4 ohm, its actually a little over 5, as it is 3 sets of speakers in parallel giving:

1 / (1 / 8+8 + 1 / 8+8 + 1 / 8+8) = 1 / (3/16) = 5.333 ohms

if one speaker has blown that 8+8 bit would be failed, so that would be 8 ohms

Although the other way is just play a bass through it and see if only 4 cones move!

well tested the cab this morning and ohms wise we are 4.7 ohms so fingers crossed were all good and later today i can give it a try through the amp to make sure were all good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

well tested the cab this morning and ohms wise we are 4.7 ohms so fingers crossed were all good and later today i can give it a try through the amp to make sure were all good.

Sounds good, seems like everything is connected, and if the cones look good, all should be fine

About 5 pages ago I mentioned I had a noisy value drive on my new ABM. Thought I would provide an update for anyone who encounters a similar issue. Given I bought it interstate and the Aussie distributor is near me, they looked after me. Wasn't just a value replacement fix. They had to send off for parts from Ashdown, but it still had issues so ended up getting a new Amp. You guys often mention how helpful Ashdown is in the UK, had a similar experience here in Oz with their distributor.

• Like 5

I went ampless for my last gig. Space was small and I wanted to check out my "new" EBS Microbass ii pedal. Long story short, I'd prefer my ABM behind me any day of the week, given sufficient space and set up time. You just can't beat the depth of sound and yes, the "heft", an actual amp gives you. Just because you can do something with newer tech doesn't mean it's always better.

• Like 5

Yep, I gigged last Friday, was fully intending on going ampless with my Sansamp but my mate in the headlining band offered me the use of his ABM600, well it just had to be done, didn`t have it particularly loud as we`re not that loud a band but it was reassuringly solid.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

@Lozz196 would you normally di from your sansamp or from your abm di out? (Presuming you are running the sansamp effect signal to the abm)

I always go from the Sansamp, just use whatever amp is there for my on-stage sound as find that it`s the different speaker cabs that really changes the eq needs .

• Like 1

Anyone found a fix for the noisy DI on the ABM head?

I've had several MAG and ABM heads and all of them have had some degree of hum

I've made myself an XLR patch lead where I've cut the ground along with any connections to the shell of the XLR socket and it still hums. I'm not sure why?

Any ideas?

When I need a DI to the front of house I usually don't use the head and use my own Radial DI before the amp and it is always dead quite (don't need to usually lift the ground lift on it either)

No noise at all on my ABM750, my RM800 or my OriginAL pedal. I did have some on my ABM600 RC but I took it to Ashdown, Guy (now retired) fiddled with it for half an hour and fixed for a packet of biscuits. I'm sure he said it was something to do with the transformer.

• Like 1

OK, I guess the hum on the DI is not an issue with everyone? 

I can only state my experience in that I've had about 3 MAG heads and 2 ABM heads and hum has been an issue with all of them when using the DI.

On another note - I've just upgraded from an EVO III to an EVO IV ABM 600. Very pleased, I don't think its just my new buyers bias but it just sounds better. Even the pre-shape sound sounds more useable and less scooped.

The 5k slider I'm also loving for a bit more clarity on the top end.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is that the new gain and volume pots on the Evo IV are the clicky notched type, which are also on the RM heads. I like em, Just feel like better quality to me 👍 

I think there may have been a few pages dedicated to the subject of notched or smooth volume pots somewhere back in this thread. I prefer smooth and all my ABM's are that way. I llke my Trace elliots notched though. All my DI's are also whisper quiet and I always use a proper balanced DI cable as unbalanced XLR cables can cause noise issues.