Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

Having some issues with volume peaks from my bass, hoping someone can help me... I don't particularly like the compressor on my Fender Downtown Express pedal, I probably need to invest more time with it tbh, but wondering if the amp built in compressor can help me even out volume spikes from going fingers to pick and playing harder and softer? Whenever I've used the onboard compressor it's always been a bit too squashy, sucks the volume, and seems to take a bit of character out of the sound. Does anyone actually use it and can you advise a good way to get the best out of it and keep the bass sounding "natural" rather than dull and squashed?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Having some issues with volume peaks from my bass, hoping someone can help me... I don't particularly like the compressor on my Fender Downtown Express pedal, I probably need to invest more time with it tbh, but wondering if the amp built in compressor can help me even out volume spikes from going fingers to pick and playing harder and softer? Whenever I've used the onboard compressor it's always been a bit too squashy, sucks the volume, and seems to take a bit of character out of the sound. Does anyone actually use it and can you advise a good way to get the best out of it and keep the bass sounding "natural" rather than dull and squashed?

I've not used the Ashdown comp, but what your asking of a cheap compressor is probably too much. If the volume difference between the two is significant without compression, you'll struggle to get a sound your happy with due to the sheer amount of work being done by the compressor.

For this task, the built in single knob approach will never work. you need either a very good compressor that has attack, release gain make up at least, or simply switch between 2 pre amp setting depending on which ( fingers or pick ) you're using..

If you wanted to compress both styles equally this would need to be done after the pre amp volume correction ( FX loop for example )

Edited by DaleASmith
  • Thanks 1

On 15/02/2023 at 18:48, BassAdder60 said:

yes it’s quite common 

One of my ABM210H cabs is rated as 500w and my newer model is 300w !

Just checked inside the cab and the speakers ain't Ashdown at all. They're Eminence Beta 10b. They still have blue cones so I'm guessing they're standard issue with the cab..

Edited by DaleASmith

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I just used to set the abm iv comp at around 9 o'clock and it worked really well.

• Like 1

I've just downsized from my Peavey Century and Ampeg 1x15 to an ABM Evo II 300 C-110; I don't gig anymore so I don't need anything that size. I picked it up last night but haven't had a chance to play through it properly, other than when I tested it out at the seller's house last night. I had the ABM Evo II 300 head many moons ago, so I'm quite familiar with it. It certainly feels strange having such a small amp in the house now.

PXL_20230228_112530771.thumb.jpg.0bbec22c369407a8e3e9bb6a8305b423.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a spare screw cap/cover, please let me know.

There's a UK company i've used in the past called Vital-Parts to source replacement blanking plugs for various different Ashdown and TE models. The only thing is the originals do vary slightly depending on the year and model and it can be tricky finding an exact replacement. Ashdown seem to use the bigger plugs these days for approx 16mm hole with overlap and the older smaller ones are mostly between around 14.8 mm to 15.1 mm with an overlap. The size of screwhead on the M6 mounting bolts also makes a difference because earlier combos like yours had large M6 screw heads with narrow wall plugs and later ones had smaller chrome head screws which leave more room for thicker plug fittings. Plug depth varies a lot as well but mostly 1.5mm to 2mm panel depth works. 

Most of the time its a case of measuring an existing plug and seeing if you can match whats on offer.  

• Like 1

I noticed this when I was viewing the promo video for Ashdown's ABM EVO V - 750. Had to double take at the part where the insides are revealed to the camera. Begs the questions, does the EVO V sound more like an SMX than and ABM?🤔 And do those lovely people at Ashdown HQ keep a secret backroom stock of tasty NOS Trace Elliot branded valves from the nineties to use with their own personal /demo amplifiers? My EVO IV had a no brand ecc83 in it (which didn't last long!). Wouldn't have minded a wee TE branded one to try in its place🙄. And no I haven't asked them for one - yet!

304609269_Screenshot2023-03-02at01_27_52.thumb.png.148d7e71110bb7f10397c70b3d2ccb73.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DGBass said:

I noticed this when I was viewing the promo video for Ashdown's ABM EVO V - 750. Had to double take at the part where the insides are revealed to the camera. Begs the questions, does the EVO V sound more like an SMX than and ABM?🤔 And do those lovely people at Ashdown HQ keep a secret backroom stock of tasty NOS Trace Elliot branded valves from the nineties to use with their own personal /demo amplifiers? My EVO IV had a no brand ecc83 in it (which didn't last long!). Wouldn't have minded a wee TE branded one to try in its place🙄. And no I haven't asked them for one - yet!

304609269_Screenshot2023-03-02at01_27_52.thumb.png.148d7e71110bb7f10397c70b3d2ccb73.png

Their branded valves, like those for Fender, Marshall etc, will have been made by Sovtek or one of the other former eastern bloc manufacturers. I don’t think many were buying from China at that point. Valves were still relatively cheap then but a lot of snake oil hype pushed prices right up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - was mentioned in the release

Ahh..missed that post! Thanks for pointing it out, I obviously wasn't the only one who noticed. Thought it curious though that a possibly decades old TE branded valve would show up in an Ashdown EVO 5 demo amp and if that maybe says something about the current standard valves going in production amps. 

Looks like we have an ex abm user from Monday. This is Martin Glovers rig last night for Killing Joke. OK, I know it's probably rented or loaned and it was through a P.A, but it did cut through the sound (no mean feat) better than his abm rig in a small venue used to. Guy Pratt has been gushing about this rig and he was not exaggerating. Great job Ashdown. 

IMG_20230307_193444.jpg

• Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 16:58, BassAdder60 said:

I found the Ampeg Opto Comp was better but it sucked treble out slightly which wasn’t a bad thing swopping from fingers to pick ( it’s cheap as well )

I've got one of these I'm not using if anyone wants to buy it. (I have paid my subs)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a gig with my trusty BC110T cabinet and my ABM600. It was excellent but the main reason I'm writing this is because I've never seen anything written by someone who's used the ABM with a double bass. I wasn't sure as at least to me the ABM is seen as an electric bass amp. It was really rather good for double bass. The input impedance is high enough that I could just plug straight into the amp from the piezo pickup. Other amps that I've tried (lookin' at you Markbass) are horrible and really need a preamp.

A little bit of compression meant that I was able to do something I've never really done before: slap.

I also really don't take issue with weight that people seem to have. Yes it's heavier than my other amp, but it's by no means heavy, and it's probably one of the lighter items I need to carry to the venue.

DSC_7385.thumb.JPG.6c9a344da6f4443a4bbffc0c5d354b61.JPG

• Like 2

I'm curious as to why you arranged the amp to sit on its end with your BC110T? Is there a marked difference to the sound if the cab is laid on its side to accomodate the amp on top?🤔 Or was it just to avoid the dreaded bass overhang in the upright position? 😉