Why become a member? ×

Water Based Stain - how long to wait?

Stub Mandrel

I have used Northwest Guitars' water-based denim blue stain.

They suggest waiting 'a few weeks' for it to dry before over spraying with nitro lacquer. This seems excessive to me - I had no issues overspraying a body I first sprayed using blue ink with polyurethane after just a day or two.

I realise the stain (applied with a sponge) will take a bit longer to dry as it soaks in deeper, but do I really need to wait that long?

The stain works really well, BTW:

20210923_172425.thumb.jpg.83c73b5fd84a76bfeaf2a00609f8847f.jpg

• Like 7

Do you have a moisture meter. If so wait till the moisture level is the same as before stain was applied, or measure the moisture content of thre routed unstained areas?

I am tring to think of am alternative. I have a big dehumidifier and would probably lay it next to that for a day or two.

24 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Third pot so I can have VVT. The scratchplate I have is already drilled for standard VT and I wanted to keep the same spacing.

Nice...

Most PJ get the 3rd Pot in the Jack Hole...

With the jack relegated to the edge.

Didnt fancy the stacked pot option?

But nice to seea variation of the cause...

21 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice...

Most PJ get the 3rd Pot in the Jack Hole...

With the jack relegated to the edge.

Didnt fancy the stacked pot option?

But nice to seea variation of the cause...

I don't want to attempt the jack in the side as it's too easy to screw up, plus really you need a special bit to open up the hole from inside.

I have three (four!) matching knobs to use, so I took inspiration from a surprising source:

image.thumb.png.c463e1a4b531fac624fcc26c3a392c8c.png

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Personally I'd give it a second (possibly a third) coat.

Why?

Sorry- that seems very abrupt! Bot meant to be rude, I genuinely ask why? I don't want it to go any darker and I think more stain will just obscure the quilting.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

The colours look a bit washed out in places - another coat probably won't make it any darker - just more solid and uniform(if that makes sense).

I suspect you mean that bit right of the bridge. It's down to the way the grain goes there, it's a big patch all of similar orientation. I realised this morning that I needed to stain inside the lower pickup rout as it's not under the scratchplate - I did actually rub come extra stain into that area, but I'm not sure it made much difference.

Well I managed five days... it seems fine, but after five coats yesterday and today I've ordered a second can of lacquer. The grain has risen a little, despite being sanded back twice after staining. I should gave stuck with a single application of stain though, as it's coming out a bit dark. The ash looks as good as the maple though, and the ftont and back are both  bookmatched, which is good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...