Why become a member? ×

Bernie Goodfellow Original

Modo74

For sale - My original Goodfellow Harlequin, handbuilt by Bernie. Its in great condition considering its 25+ years old. A couple of minor dings, nothing major. Plays great and sounds great.

To be honest I have no idea of its true value, so offers please.

Selling because times are as tough here in NZ right now as they are anywhere else in the world. No idea how much it would cost to freight from here to the UK. Will look into that if anyones genuinely interested.

Comes with original Goodfellow branded case, also in solid condition.

Cheers

[quote name='MB1' post='451488' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:58 PM']MB1. :rolleyes:
WOW!...that finish makes your eyes go funny! :)
BUMP![/quote]

Nice. Bernie has an old body in his workshop that is made with that harlequin pattern - it's stunning up close.

Good luck with the sale, have a bump on me.

Stu

Hi there, gorgeous, I had the only one of these that came to Scotland, bought it new for knock down £999 in the late eighties (if memory serves) God knows how much that would be now...., the finish is 'Harlequin' the model is a 'Player'. Seen the body he still has when I was down ordering my six... although it's bolt on it has much more in common with a Rumour than a Spitfire/Standard.. got to be worth about the same as a Rumour of the same spec.
Good luck.. if you have any issues Bernie's a top bloke and will happily help... see the GB Guitars website.

Andy

Thanks for all the advice and bumps guys.

Andy - I've already been in touch with Bernie, just to get a bit more info on the bass and to let him know how far across the world his work has travelled. He is indeed a top bloke.

Thanks again everyone.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='452586' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:07 PM']So how well do you know this guy, Andy?

:)[/quote]

Hi there, think Alex means the bass [i]he[/i] sold used to be mine... know the Beeps for .. oh let's just say over 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yrs. Don't know Modo.
Used my Harlequin on several albums.. records really well... does't look as though it would but does a fabby Jazz impression
Assuming it's me you're talking to... now i'm confused... not difflick.

Andy

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='452581' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:05 PM']I remember there was one in the Bass Centre in manchester, with LED's, was there for ages!

Tony[/quote]
I remember one in A1 Music in the 80s!

Didn't particularly like the finish then, and still not overly keen on it now. However, I loved Bernie's basses back then, and still love 'em now. One day......just one day.....

[attachment=23300:Picture_027.jpg][attachment=23299:Picture_018.jpg]

Yours is the 6th that I've seen now! Although I've never seen that finish ever before. I think each model is unique, but I'm not too sure on that - can I ask the serial no. please?? Theres one about to go on ebay if you want to look for a rough price estimate, I would say its an easy £900 depending on the dings - could you describe them if their not visible through the paintjob.

Schnozalee - Bernie told me the serial number is in the neck pocket and under the pups, so I'll need to get around to whipping the strings off and taking a look.

As far as the dints go, thers a couple of small chunks out of the laquer on the back of the headstock, and some minor scratching on the the lower left bout, mostly on the back, one on the front. I'll take some pics, might be hard to pick up the damage though as its not overly visible.

Will get the above done at some stage during the week. Thanks for the interest.

• 1 year later...

Bernies explanation of the harlequin effect :-

"The construction of this bass is a Brazilian Mahogany core with man made veneer back and front and on the headstock. The veneer is individual dyed
pieces of wood glued together and sliced at an angle which gives the Harlequin effect."

No worries, I probably shouldn't have resurrected a thread in the Marketplace as I'm actually not selling any more.

Its just that Schnozzalee asked me what the serial no. was ages ago, this is a (very) belated reply to that question.

Cheers.