Why become a member? Ɨ

NBD Yamaha virgin!

Bassman666

So having owned plenty of basses I've never had a yamaha, until now šŸ˜. Thought I'd take a chance on this bb1025x as I've always wanted to try one. A fresh set of rounds later and I love it! Always been more of a jazz bass guy but figured I needed some sort of P in my life. This has got such a huge passive tone! The neck is a lovely satin finish and it plays great! It has definitely held its own against my other more expensive basses so happy days. I play my other basses in passive usually anyway however the simpleness of the bb's controls is so refreshing. Anyway, terrible picture incoming..Ā 

DSC_0928.JPG

• Like 12

Very nice. Yamaha is one of the few mainstream brands I haven't owned too. I've played a few BB's and have been impressed but always found the bodies a bit big aesthetically.
Ā 

They're definitely on the list to explore should I ever decide to buy another bass that doesn't have "Fender" on the headstock.Ā 

• Like 2

Congrats!Ā Having had several Yammy basses, the BB1025 (same model as yours but without the scratchplate and chrome knobs) is the one I've held on to;Ā as you say, completely holds its own against many more expensive basses, so I'm not surprised at all you're loving it!Ā 

• Like 2

On 02/09/2021 at 20:32, Bassman666 said:

So having owned plenty of basses I've never had a yamaha, until now šŸ˜. Thought I'd take a chance on this bb1025x as I've always wanted to try one. A fresh set of rounds later and I love it! Always been more of a jazz bass guy but figured I needed some sort of P in my life. This has got such a huge passive tone! The neck is a lovely satin finish and it plays great! It has definitely held its own against my other more expensive basses so happy days. I play my other basses in passive usually anyway however the simpleness of the bb's controls is so refreshing. Anyway, terrible picture incoming..Ā 

DSC_0928.JPG

Yours is identical to the First BB I'd bought since owning a BBNE1 in the late 90s. Definately converted Me to BB's especially that particular series (I'm not so keen on the latest versions, they are more Fender ish and not as elegant)

I bought a 424 at the same time and loved that even more. I currently hsveca 425 and a recent 80's BB350F fretless.

Ā 

The 1025x always had a nice bite with both pickups on, and the P pickup is a match for any Fender šŸ˜

Congratulations on a great buy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassman666 said:

I've found my preference is both pickups on, tone rolled back slightly. However the P pickup does sound fantastic!Ā 

It's a great combination.

My preference is to roll the treble right off for Motown numbers but dialled back up for the rest. You're in between - which just goes to show the versatility that you can get from this bass!

For me,Ā the 'flattened' underside of the neck is super comfortable to play.

It took me quite a while to appreciate the solo J bridge pup setting, but I find it'sĀ great for cutting through the mix if you've got something that is using a lot of the low B string (e.g. Uptown Funk).

• Like 2