Why become a member? ×

Mixing and matching strings.

ambient

Does anyone do this?

I only play 6 string basses, I have done for fifteen years or more. I’ve often felt that the high C never quite sits right, tonally. I’ve also never really liked over-bright strings - I also dislike thuddy sounding strings.

Some double bassists have a mix and match approach to strings, mixing different brands to get their ideal sound and feel. 

I recently read an article about John Patitucci where it listed his gear. I was already aware of most of what it listed, and I knew he used two different types of strings on his double basses, I was surprised to read that he used the same approach with stringing his electric 6 string basses. I knew he used D’Addario half-wounds, apparently though he only uses the high C string, using nickel round wounds for the other strings.

Anyway, I tried it and I’m really happy with the results. I’ve used D’Addario nickel .130 and .105 round wound strings for the low B and E strings, and a D’Addario half-wound set for the rest.

I’ve previously found the low B and E in the half-wound sets to be very dull, almost dead sounding, whilst the top strings in a round wound set tend to be too bright for my tastes. This hybrid approach though solves both of those issues. The strings don’t sound too different. The low B and the E sound full and focused, whilst the higher strings sound clear without being too zingy.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 6

Yes, I mix on upright, and for a short while on bass guitar I had rounds on BE and flats on ADG.  The round has more clarity on the B string than a flat.  Sounded good, and they blended fine, but in the end I prefer flats tactilely.

• Like 1

I know how you feel with the high C, so many brands have really light gauge C's, Warwick had 0.25, I'm sure D'addario had 0.30, I always found I preferred 0.32 that Dunlop used. 

Then a got a 4 string that I really gelled with and I lost interest in the 5 string with the high C. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I think it’s one of those “if it works it works” things. If I recall correctly Dave Swift has a round wound low B on his basses with flats for the rest of the strings.

Thanks. I wasn’t aware that Dave Swift did that. Interesting.

This is a good idea. I have an Ibanez K5. The higher strings sound bright and zingy. Just what I want but the B is dull and thuddy sounding. The strings are all from the same set. Im gonna have to try and mix.

• Like 1

I totally recognize the problem. C string sounding sharper than the others. I had this with Warwick strings and D'Addario's.

Since switching to Fodera Custom Steels that problem vanished though. These strings are marvelous!

Even being stainless steels, they do not sound overly bright and have those nicely even mids I am always looking for.

Give them a go the next time you need new strings.

Edited by DiMarco
typo
  • Like 2