Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Q&As at Talkbass.com

Mike

Hi guys - not sure if this has been posted yet - I couldn't find it, if it has.

Jeff Berlin went on Talkbass to field some questions. I think a lot of interesting ideas and useful stuff came out of this.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505003"]Link is here.[/url]

Sorry if it's a double-post!

Regards

Mike

[quote name='Mike' post='450243' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:05 AM']Hi guys - not sure if this has been posted yet - I couldn't find it, if it has.

Jeff Berlin went on Talkbass to field some questions. I think a lot of interesting ideas and useful stuff came out of this.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505003"]Link is here.[/url]

Sorry if it's a double-post!

Regards

Mike[/quote]

Wow, some great stuff in there. I always loved Jeff's columns in Bass Player, and quite often agreed with what he had to say. His playing might not be to everyone's tastes, but he sure knows what he's talking about.

Stu

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='450395' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:32 AM']Jeff has approached us as well through Funkle, so stay tuned while we work something out.[/quote]

That would be amazing. Ever had anything like that before on Basschat?

Just finished going through the massive Berlin Q&A Talkbass thread. Some interesting stuff in there about practising (quality over quantity) and learning (get a general music teacher, not instrument specific).

[quote name='bootleg' post='451440' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:14 PM']That would be amazing. Ever had anything like that before on Basschat?[/quote]
Not on Basschat as such. Hopefully it will stir up some interest though and who knows, we might be able to do it with other bass maestros as well. Whether the questions are subject to prior approval depends on whether we feel there's a risk that someone is going to be insulting to him or not.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='451771' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:43 PM']Should be interesting after what happened to Steve Lawson and Janek Gwizdala.[/quote]

Did something happen to Steve? Must have missed something, I'm sure I had a pm from not too long ago.

Edit:
Doh. PM was from Stu Clayton not Steve. Forget it, nothing to see here....

Edited by SteveO

Something happened with Steve Lawson? I remember him posting for a while at one point.

I remember the Janek Gwizdala incident. That was a real shame. You might not like him as a composer or even as a person but he's a good bass player and one of the few Brits making a name for himself in the jazz session scene in America. He could have been a great resource.

[quote name='The Funk' post='451783' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:51 PM']You might not like him as a composer or even as a person but he's a good bass player and one of the few Brits making a name for himself in the jazz session scene in America.[/quote]
Am I correct in believing he's polish?

Anyways, insulting people spoils it for those who have a genuine and serious interest in understanding what these people have to say, regardless of whether they agree with it or not.

That doesn't impose a requirement on everyone to suck up but chips-on-shoulders won't be welcome either.

[quote name='The Funk' post='451783' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:51 PM']Something happened with Steve Lawson? I remember him posting for a while at one point.

I remember the Janek Gwizdala incident. That was a real shame. You might not like him as a composer or even as a person but he's a good bass player and one of the few Brits making a name for himself in the jazz session scene in America. He could have been a great resource.[/quote]

Are we talking about the toothache thing?

Can't even remeber it now, but I think I was involved. Wasn't he going on about how much he hated writing about music, whilst writing on a bass forum, whilst writing articles for BGM?

The trouble with these "stars" is that they're a bit highly strung.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='451792' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:56 PM']The trouble with these "stars" is that they're a bit highly strung.[/quote]
Do you think Im gonna bother with the likes of you when I,eventually,hit the big time....?

Yeah....right :) :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='ARGH' post='451799' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:00 PM']Do you think Im gonna bother with the likes of you when I,eventually,hit the big time....?

Yeah....right :) :rolleyes: :D[/quote]

In the world of UK bass forums, I've already hit the big time. I'm probably more famous than Janek Hammer or whatever his name is.