Why become a member? ×

USA JAzz VS Precision

Musicman20

Even though im 100% gassing for the Jazz still...that I still cannot get a hold of, I just keep looking at those P Basses. Ive got a Jap P Bass which is my workhorse....but I just keep thinking....P Bass + Orange...mmmmm.

I need persuading to make sure I get that Jazz as Ive been after one for years!

Being an owner of both, I'd go for a Jazz if you're set on a Fender. The Jazz had a degree more panache than the P and it give more tonal variation. That said, also being an owner of a Lakland DJ5, I'd say go and get a Lakland. There's one for sale on the forum (not mine).

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='448743' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:09 PM']Being an owner of both, I'd go for a Jazz if you're set on a Fender. The Jazz had a degree more panache than the P and it give more tonal variation. That said, also being an owner of a Lakland DJ5, I'd say go and get a Lakland. There's one for sale on the forum (not mine).

P[/quote]

+1 on Lakland. Agree with Ross too, mods on Fender basses sort it out!

Decide what neck you prefer, buy that bass, then if its a J, swap the neck pup out for a P - you can easily get hold of a pre-cut scratch plate to do this without having to mess around making one. And if its a P neck you love, slap a J pup in at the bridge. Go for it! You can always sell/swap it on here if you find its not what youre after.

Edited by karlthebassist

I've had a few of each & would say that the jazz always wins in my opinion. The jazz is always so much more playable and adaptable. When I try and play a precision it always seems to get buried in the mix. Only the one sound as well.

The USA jazzes with the through body stringing are the best sounding jazz basses around at the price, btw. Awesome.

So, Sob, Sob.

Gonna stop running down P basses please. I just bought a black one with maple neck on sunday! I tried it against the Lakeland P ( which was going for £699-£100 cheaper than the Fender ) but I went for the Fender as it sounded great and after years of owning active basses I came to the conclusion that I only needed one good sound and that`s all the p has.

Plus it looks damm cool, imo of course.

The Lakeland sounded great as well but what the heck.

Jez

I have a new MIA Jazz that I love, a CIJ P (with Wizard Thumpers) that I love and a Lakland BG P (with Lindy Fralin's) that is awasome. They all offer me something different IMO.
But if i [i]HAD[/i] to keep one only it would be the Jazz.

I don't get the 'P has One sound' though. Ok, its never going to have the variation of certain other basses with loads of EQ but you can get a fair amount of tone from a P by a twist of the tone pot and moving your right hand to play near the bridge/neck.

Sit back and wait for the backlash!!! :)

Edited by basswesty

[quote name='basswesty' post='450267' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:47 AM']I don't get the 'P has One sound' though. Ok, its never going to have the variation of certain other basses with loads of EQ but you can get a fair amount of tone from a P by a twist of the tone pot and moving your right hand to play near the bridge/neck.

Sit back and wait for the backlash!!! :)[/quote]
What backlash?

I agree 100%

For me the P-bass sound is (still) what a bass guitar sounds like. If I was a rocker I'd have a P bass.

I don't know if the Jazz has much more in the way of versatility though, in practical terms. I've had a couple of Jazzes and most of the available sounds weren't that useful. I think if you want a truly versatile bass the first place to look is the G&L L2000.