Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

£258 delivered for a Mk4 with all of the upgrades that have gone into it?! That's a really good deal! It's not a great deal more than used Mk3's were going for a couple of years back and so much else has had eye watering price increases since then.

I really tried to love my Mk3s (several attempts!) but couldn't get passed the tracking / glitchiness issues I was getting and I wasn't prepared to change my playing style to suit one pedal! I understand from @Quatschmacher that has now been sorted with the Mk 4 - and at that price I've no real excuse not to give it a spin. If it's good enough for Mohini Dey...

DV 247 are obviously feeling generous, they only charged me £257 😊

Yep. I paid £300 for my used FI I.

You will still need to feed it clean lines, there’s no sorcery involved. The algorithm is now faster and better at locking on to pitches. (There are some further improvements coming too. We had a routine running in beta testing that was even better, but the pedal was crashing occasionally. Some optimisation work has been done to significantly reduce processor load now so work on that new algorithm can continue. I’m pretty excited about that as it was just amazingly fast and accurate.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

And it’s not uncommon at all for the launch price of a product to be 10-20% higher than later on once more units have sold. I don’t think anyone who has already bought one is feeling ripped off.

I'd agree after a year of sales perhaps, but a few weeks? And I assume the number of units sold so far won't be massive.  I dunno, I didn't buy one, but I think i'd be peeved if I did.  Hell, the Quad Cortex came down by £100 after two years of me owning one and I was irked by that 😂

It's interesting, as around a month ago I was strongly considering buying one of them, had it in the basket etc, but I ruled it out as I couldn't stretch my budget past £300.  I went a different synth route instead (a route I'm VERY happy with) so its no longer a goer for me, but yeah, if they'd sold it direct for that price, I'd be part of the club by now.

33 minutes ago, Kev said:

I'd agree after a year of sales perhaps, but a few weeks? And I assume the number of units sold so far won't be massive.  I dunno, I didn't buy one, but I think i'd be peeved if I did.  Hell, the Quad Cortex came down by £100 after two years of me owning one and I was irked by that 😂

It's interesting, as around a month ago I was strongly considering buying one of them, had it in the basket etc, but I ruled it out as I couldn't stretch my budget past £300.  I went a different synth route instead (a route I'm VERY happy with) so its no longer a goer for me, but yeah, if they'd sold it direct for that price, I'd be part of the club by now.

Sometimes this happens early on too: I picked up my Prophet 10 for less than the Prophet 5 (from the same store) only about 4-6 weeks after it launched. It went back up by several hundred thereafter.

The new one has been selling very well, they haven’t stopped shipping out units since the launch.

What did you get instead? Pedal or keyboard?

I keep being so tempted to buy one again. But I’m worried that I’d only use it for noodling. 

Not to mention I don’t currently have board space for one currently… the 3D printed cases that were being done… i wonder if that would fit. Hmm

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Sometimes this happens early on too: I picked up my Prophet 10 for less than the Prophet 5 (from the same store) only about 4-6 weeks after it launched. It went back up by several hundred thereafter.

The new one has been selling very well, they haven’t stopped shipping out units since the launch.

What did you get instead? Pedal or keyboard?

It's promising to hear that they're selling well at least!

Pedal(s), I've gone for an Octavius Squeezer/OC-2 combo, with a bunch of modulation blocks on the Quad Cortex.  I'm absolutely in love with the Chunk, the filter and fuzz circuits are outstanding even before considering the VCO, and despite the interface from hell, I actually love being able to program everything on the pedal itself, without an external interface.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2024 at 22:49, Kev said:

I actually love being able to program everything on the pedal itself, without an external interface.

Said very few people ever!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Owen said:

V4 allows much more scope for that. If you set up the base patches intelligently, there’s a fair bit of variation possible. Using Mortrix, you can basically write a patch from scratch without the computer. 

1 hour ago, Owen said:

😅 I'm sure you're right, but I literally can't stand having to use desktop editors or midi to change settings.  I've owned a Quad Cortex for years now and still haven't once opened the desktop interface.

36 going on 76 😎

• Haha 1

This post is pretty similar to one I made in this thread back in 2020! I have new songs to learn with synth sounds, and this means my trusty V1 (V3.61 software) will be gigging again. So I stumbled back on this thread and I'm I'm delighted to see there is now a V4. I'm also very happy to see that the V4 has modern chips so here is a wish list:
'Midi Note Out' - The V4 'CV Out' so gives me a bit of hope.
Many more FLEXI controllers. I have a ton of midi controllers that transmit CC messages so it would be great to 
tweak patches at a gig without having to plug a computer in.

6 hours ago, Illinformed said:

This post is pretty similar to one I made in this thread back in 2020! I have new songs to learn with synth sounds, and this means my trusty V1 (V3.61 software) will be gigging again. So I stumbled back on this thread and I'm I'm delighted to see there is now a V4. I'm also very happy to see that the V4 has modern chips so here is a wish list:
'Midi Note Out' - The V4 'CV Out' so gives me a bit of hope.
Many more FLEXI controllers. I have a ton of midi controllers that transmit CC messages so it would be great to 
tweak patches at a gig without having to plug a computer in.

You can control all the synth parameters via their NRPNs already.

I wouldn’t mind an increase in the number of flexi controllers too but I don’t think that will happen. I can ask though. 

I’m hopeful that MIDI note out will be possible now that some recent optimisation work has been done. I’m pushing for it constantly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kev said:

😅 I'm sure you're right, but I literally can't stand having to use desktop editors or midi to change settings.  I've owned a Quad Cortex for years now and still haven't once opened the desktop interface.

36 going on 76 😎

Or get one and use it with something like a Behringer Model D or Moog Minitaur via CV. 

6 hours ago, GisserD said:

Midi note out would be a gamechanger for me. Id buy a V4 immediately without a 2nd thought.

So, for a midi novice like me, how would midi note out be a gamechanger?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You’d be able to trigger any MIDI instrument from it via your audio input, all with the FI’s fast and accurate tracking algorithm. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Or get one and use it with something like a Behringer Model D or Moog Minitaur via CV.

If only there was a way to get a Model D on the forum huh? :D

7 hours ago, GisserD said:

Midi note out would be a gamechanger for me. Id buy a V4 imediatly without a 2nd thought.

Same here - I would get one straight away. No idea why, but I would.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Haha, yes, doesn’t hurt to plug my sale. I could really do with the funds and it is a bit of a bargain as I’m including free postage via SD. Also sounds mega. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Same here - I would get one straight away. No idea why, but I would.

Welcome to try mine (FI4 and D) when I’m next in Bath (probably in a couple of weeks).

Edited by Quatschmacher

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Can trigger other hardware synths. Or more usefully to me... soft-synths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Can trigger other hardware synths. Or more usefully to me... soft-synths. 

So the midi through doesn't achieve that by itself then?

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Midi through takes what goes to the in and puts it out the through. So no, unless you are sending it note on midi messages

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Midi through takes what goes to the in and puts it out the through. So no, unless you are sending it note on midi messages

Precisely. If you feed it MIDI notes from a keyboard then it’ll pass these on. What most folks are asking for, however, is for the audio input from your bass to be converted to MIDI note data. It’s definitely possible to implement and I am hopeful it will be added in the next firmware update or two. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Illinformed said:

Wait what, all synth parameters, why have I missed this? Is this just for V4?

No, all versions. The NRPN data were made available a few years ago. At some point I plan on integrating the information into the manual. 

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

The NRPN data were made available a few years ago.

This is amazing. My Kenton Control Freak Studio can transmit NRPN so it would be the perfect buddy.

I think I'm being a bit dim as I can't find NRPN info, can you share it with me?