Why become a member? ×

Things to never do ...

OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='446304' date='Mar 26 2009, 06:46 PM']To boldly split infinitives has been OK for a while now ...
Language moves on.
Oxford commas are too .. If Saint Lynne Truss says it's OK then that's fine with me :)[/quote]

[quote name='bremen' post='446358' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:33 PM']You mean 'if Saint Lynne Truss says it's OK, then that's fine with me'

;-)[/quote]

Beat me to it...

By a LONG way...

Edited by Telebass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='446304' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:46 PM']To boldly split infinitives has been OK for a while now ...
Language moves on.
Oxford commas are too .. If Saint Lynne Truss says it's OK then that's fine with me :)[/quote]
Actually, I'm quite happy with split infinitives, as long as people know how to elegantly split them. And I've used Oxford commas for years. But Lynne Truss - pah. I got into a minor flame war in one newsgroup about the apostrophe in "three day's/days notice". I think that the apostrophe is wrong and that it should be "three days notice". The reason put forward is that it is "notice of three days", to which I reply that "eyes of blue" wouldn't be written "blue's eyes". Then someone started citing web pages at me, so I wrote a web page that said that the apostrophe was wrong and cited it back at him... :rolleyes:

[quote name='tauzero' post='457594' date='Apr 8 2009, 04:52 PM']Actually, I'm quite happy with split infinitives, as long as people know how to elegantly split them. And I've used Oxford commas for years. But Lynne Truss - pah. I got into a minor flame war in one newsgroup about the apostrophe in "three day's/days notice". I think that the apostrophe is wrong and that it should be "three days notice". The reason put forward is that it is "notice of three days", to which I reply that "eyes of blue" wouldn't be written "blue's eyes". Then someone started citing web pages at me, so I wrote a web page that said that the apostrophe was wrong and cited it back at him... :)[/quote]

Arf
Trying to define what is correct in grammer is a bit like knitting fog ... It moves faster than ever now..

Heard a story about a Black Sabbath roadie falling out with Geezer Butler shortly before a big gig.

Mr Butler apparently walked onstage,the band then launched into their first song (which was in E), to find his bass had all four strings tuned to Eb.

[quote name='bassace' post='457625' date='Apr 8 2009, 05:25 PM']Pardon my ignorance, but what's an Oxford comma? Somebody tell me please.[/quote]

It's the comma before the "and" in a list of things. EG

Fender has produced several classics down the years: the Precision Bass, the Jazz Bass, the Mustang Bass, the Paisley P, and the Stratocaster

[quote name='casapete' post='457622' date='Apr 8 2009, 05:22 PM']Heard a story about a Black Sabbath roadie falling out with Geezer Butler shortly before a big gig.

Mr Butler apparently walked onstage,the band then launched into their first song (which was in E), to find his bass had all four strings tuned to Eb.[/quote]

Didn't all the members of Black Sabbath use Eb tuning?

[quote name='OldGit' post='457629' date='Apr 8 2009, 05:28 PM']It's the comma before the "and" in a list of things. EG

Fender has produced several classics down the years: the Precision Bass, the Jazz Bass, the Mustang Bass, the Paisley P, and the Stratocaster[/quote]

Thanks, OG. Something Clarkson would do, in other words.

[quote name='51m0n' post='458185' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:48 AM']No, he uses a paragraph

cos he's a t0553r[/quote]
The biggest to553r

in the world.

We occasionally play the "talk like a top gear presenter" game at home where you have to have that gap before the end of

every sentence..

[quote name='OldGit' post='458218' date='Apr 9 2009, 11:41 AM']The biggest to553r

in the world.

We occasionally play the "talk like a top gear presenter" game at home where you have to have that gap before the end of

every sentence..[/quote]

what about the 'dress like a top gear presenter'?

A suit jacket worn with jeans and trainers.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='458300' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:43 PM']what about the 'dress like a top gear presenter'?

A suit jacket worn with jeans and trainers.[/quote]

And 'hip' 'cool' bead necklaces if you are really trying to make people think you arent just another sad middle aged overpaid git with whitened teeth (hammond)

[quote name='51m0n' post='460304' date='Apr 12 2009, 12:55 AM']And 'hip' 'cool' bead necklaces if you are really trying to make people think you arent just another sad middle aged overpaid git with whitened teeth (hammond)[/quote]

That necklace was given to him after THAT crash from his wife and he never takes it off.

Edited by EBS_freak