Why become a member? ×

Big Band Rehearsal Amp?

Jonrh98

Posting my query here as well as TB as UK-specific input (particularly around Ashdown) could be useful.

I'm starting with a 20 piece big band soon and I need to upgrade my old Rumble 30 to something capable of managing in rehearsals and providing monitoring to myself on stage when DI'd to FOH. As a studio musician, amp sizes/requirements have never been a massive concern, so I'm pretty lost, and as you would imagine my advice so far has been incredibly mixed.

Essentially, I would like some recommendations up to the 400 quid mark on what could work. Lightweight/combo is a plus, but not everything. 

How would something like the 300W Ashdown Studio 15 do? The MAG C115-300 looks nice, but only puts out 180w ish without an ext cab, and offerings from brands like GK in that range seem like they won't be powerful enough. My Uncle's old 150w Trace was mega loud, but I can't imagine the Ashdown competing.

The TC electronic BAM200 and paired 208 looks great, but I can't imagine 8s supporting strong enough lows.

Any other ideas are more than welcome. 

As I've said, this rig is never going to be used on its own for gigging, it simply needs to deliver enough for rehearsals and be DI'd on stage.

FYI I'm running a passive fretless pj with flats, so a pretty flat and focused tone.

My big band has never been quite that big but I used a China made Ashdown 15'' combo in many rehearsals just fine. They do hit another gear at gigs but with FOH should still be fine.

One show had an old Trace Commando provided, 12'' I think maybe 15, and 100w. It worked fine for me but the kid big band on before us had it all distorted to hell.

RCF HD 10-A mk4, £390, 12kg.  Full range and flat response, so you'll be able to monitor accurately what you're sending to FOH.  Use either as a floor wedge in front of you, or stand it upright behind you.

• Like 1

The Ashdown Studio 15 would handle it, no problem. 

I've done big band gigs, with and without PA support, using my 240 watt Ashdown PiBass and a 1x12 and it's more than handled it. To be fair, I've also used my old Roland Cube 100 and it's been fine.

If you are set on ashdown keep an eye out for used 220 or 330 spyder combos in the 1x15 format (think the 220 maybe 1x12). As a die hard all valve fan (mainly ampeg) I absolutely LOVED the ashdown Spyder series

On 23/03/2021 at 00:10, G-Dog said:

How about the 350 watt Fender Rumble 500 combo at only 36.5 lb.s?

My choice exactly. Great sounding amp, and so portable. New they’re over your budget, but s/h ones often seem to crop up for around £350/£400.

• Thanks 1