Jump to content
alembic1989

Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Bass

Recommended Posts

I've just seen this..looks intriguing..

 

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/stanley-clarke-releases-long-awaited-strat-style-bass-the-spellcaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Oneonta Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Bass is available now for $1,635...."

Expect to see many strat conversions appearing on eBay.

Sad Oh No GIF by Intel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how that would balance,  with the bridge being so far up the body? I  like the headstock shape, and expect it has lightweight tuners though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

“and incorporates features never before found in an electric bass guitar.” Like...what? Am I missing something?

 

Yup, that was my thought too.
I read the article and there's nothing special about it at all, even the concept of a short scale bass on a Strat style body with a traditional Strat pickup layout has been done before, commercially by Landing Bass Guitars, literally for YEARS.
Reverse headstock? Done.
Tremelo? Done.
25 frets? Nope, done by Sandberg on their 25th anniversary instruments.

The only thing that would've made this interesting is if Fender had actually made it, which I thought was the original plan. That would've been quite a departure for Fender from the usual constant rehashing of the same tired old thing again and again.

image.png.1f7efef934851c8b65f3369049285b7f.png

Eude

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see why this is a game changer.

Fender had a 3 pickup short scale bass 'The Rascal' out a few years ago.

The tremolo is unusual on a production 4 string bass but not unique.

Everything I've ever read about trems on standard basses including Neil Murray talking about his own Strat Bass suggests that they can't really replicate what a guitar trem does in terms of pitch bending, it tends to be more a vibrato effect with the strings going quieter when the trem is depressed.

Maybe this one is different.

 

Edited by Cato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

“and incorporates features never before found in an electric bass guitar.” Like...what? Am I missing something?

 

Well unless there's some secret sauce in the electronics, I doubt it. I think the PR company was paid on hyperbole.

Most of the pick-ups, switching and wang-bar-ness was nailed by Fender in the '60s.

Would still love to have a go on one though eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, visog said:

Would still love to have a go on one though eh?

Yep, totally! But wouldn't invest unless much wiser counsel than myself were convinced its price matched the quality and not just the hype

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eude said:

Yup, that was my thought too.
I read the article and there's nothing special about it at all, even the concept of a short scale bass on a Strat style body with a traditional Strat pickup layout has been done before, commercially by Landing Bass Guitars, literally for YEARS.
Reverse headstock? Done.
Tremelo? Done.
25 frets? Nope, done by Sandberg on their 25th anniversary instruments.

The only thing that would've made this interesting is if Fender had actually made it, which I thought was the original plan. That would've been quite a departure for Fender from the usual constant rehashing of the same tired old thing again and again.

image.png.1f7efef934851c8b65f3369049285b7f.png

Eude

 

The Thumb has 26 frets. 1985 that came out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cocco said:

The Thumb has 26 frets. 1985 that came out. 

He he :) 

To be fair, Les Claypool's first Carl Thompson has 29 frets and it was made in 1980!

image.png.191cfb3b3488c97a731afc2b1991fe50.png

Eude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...