Why become a member? ×

Refin MM Sub 5

Owen

I bought one of these by accident. I was playing Ebay Roulette with comedy offers and the seller accepted. I like it but the whole industrial textured pain thing is not for me. So I am stripping it back to wood (or possibly just primer) and having it done in Metal Flake Blue. With matching headstock, obv. I took it to the local repair bod this morning to strip out the electrics. I know my limits. I was discussing using Nitromors on it and he squirmed a little and said that it dried the wood. He whipped out a bottle of acetate, rubbed some in and scraped with a razor. The textured coat came off nicely. I am hoping that painting bod will be happy to paint on the primer coat. If so I will get stuck in. My one question is this. I saw the razor blade working but thought perhaps a cabinet scraper would do the job equally well. Am I correct? I will have to buy one or the other of them anyway.

I will have a forearm cut, a tummy cut and possibly some weight removed from under the scratchplate. Life is too short for heavy and uncomfortable basses. I am getting curvier and want my basses to be the same.

TIA

Edited by owen
  • Like 2

I had the 4 string version and whilst it was weighty (just like every MM I’ve owned) it was perfectly balanced on the strap. With this in mind, I’d probably shy away from weight reduction behind the p/g (contour that bad boy for sure though), especially given the additional headstock weight of a fiver.

If you can remove the textured coat but leave whatever's underneath intact then I'd go for. Going right back to wood is time consuming and you risk taking bits out of the wood, but will then need a load more work to grain fill etc, to get to a point where you can paint it. If it weren't textured I'd say just a very light sanding (800grit) would do you but I'd try and get all the textured finish off as you don't know what it is. Quite often an odd finish like that will react with the finished you will be applying, it might not but you don't want to risk it. 

As for cabinet scraper or razor, I don't know that one will be better than the other. A small razor might be easier is certain area but a larger cabinet scraper better on the bigger flat areas. A scraper with some convex and concave curves as well as a flat edge would be good as you could get pretty much everywhere with it. I don't really know what's available though. 

The good news for me is that painting bloke has said that he does not actually want me to strip it because he spends more time sorting out dogdy home sanding jobs than actually sanding them. He is obviously aware of my crafting abilities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I've got one of these basses and I really like it except for the awful checker-plate scratchplate. I replaced that with a normal one from a four string that I modified at the neck and pickup to make fit neatly. Chuffed with how it looks now.

IMG_2230.JPG

Metal flake blue sounds lovely!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Touched by the hand of our very own Andyjr1515. The textured stuff above the pickup came of with acetone and a razor blade. I am merely logging this because I do google searches to see how people do things.

imageproxy_php.jpg.ec98287cb0d647bf282a13e807182107.jpgimageproxy1_php.jpg.9817b665f526156ceedc14f2f30d9f1c.jpg

Edited by owen
because spelling.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'll be looking forward to see how the finish on this turns out. I've modified a standard MM style 4 string scratchplate for Owen so it will fit this 5 string using the template I'd made when I did the same thing to my own bass.

ceSHPux.jpg

Much cheaper than trying to source a 5 string one!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ceri the painter is quite particular about what he will and will not do.

"..... like I told you before though, I won’t do any old job, I have to be interested in the finish myself, all those white or surf green guitars can do one 🤣"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1