Why become a member? ×

how our markets are different

Killed_by_Death

fun fact:

one of our Presidents had some Japanese masters of martial arts hired on to train the Secret Service & CIA in Jujutsu

I worked in Japan for a while & there's a pride in their work, read up on how many times they 'fold' the steel for a sword.

personally, I'd rate Japan's craftsmanship in general best on Earth

You might not guess it, but I found good products in Taiwan as well, when I was purchasing steel valves & piping products.

• Like 2

I'd well believe it. I'd go for a STR or Sugi over most brands, but that's just me. There is no reason at all why a Japanese manufacturer cannot make an instrument to the very highest of standards and, in my experience, they're right up there. There's still a stigma out there for some reason, which I find mystifying.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

Chinese pottery (Ming)

German cars

Swiss watchmakers

Apple and Samsung phones

Scotch Whisky

Japanese basses? Well I'd better shut up as 5 out 9 of my herd are Yamaha / Ibanez and were at least designed in Japan, but only my NE2 (RRP = ridiculous) was actually made there. 

But if I'm being honest I've not found any of my basses comes close to the craftsmanship shown in my Ken Smith.

Japanese Gotoh tuners on it like my Alembic? 😉

You're comparing mass-produced with hand-crafted. No matter where they're made there will be a difference in that.

29 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I worked in Japan for a while & there's a pride in their work, read up on how many times they 'fold' the steel for a sword.

personally, I'd rate Japan's craftsmanship in general best on Earth

I would share the opinion that Japanese craftsmanship is as good as it gets. Explore some of the non-mass production instrument builders (a fairer comparison with Ken Smith) and prepare to be impressed.

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well that's interesting. What is this bringing to the party for the additional $3k?

The fact it is made by the top people at Ibanez. Like the custom shop vs the squiers.

But at the end of the day it's an Ibanez not a Fodera

Obviously not, its not that ugly, but why are you paying that much for a fodera? same reason

There are plenty of "actual investment things" that will lose you orders of magnitude more than any bass - just ask the boys at Melvin who lost a cool $4.5 BILLION in January. Careless eh?

They weren't investing - they were gambling on the destruction of something, effectively they were a parasite, and sometimes the parasites get washed off.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Apparently some models that are produced in Indonesia are NOT available for sale in Indonesia.

No, I had a guy contact me about the SR2605 that I have for sale from indonesia, saying that you couldn't get that there and had to import it, even though he was a couple of miles from their factory.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously not, its not that ugly, but why are you paying that much for a fodera? same reason. 

Concur that a Fodera is not my cup of tea aesthetically either. But then we are both Ibby SR body shape fans. 

Ok let's maybe agree that Alembics and Ken Smiths are stunning?

The point I'm making is they are purely a premium brand and source their woods and electronics to match. As the OP pointed out this is essentially an Ibby Prestige, which for me lacks the premium sound of well.. err a £1k Ibby Premium. No way would I ever pay £5k for it. Ever. 

And more to the point, who on this thread honestly would? 

Put an Alembic, Wal or KS up for that price and you'll find they will shift, because they are recognised quality brands who have consistently delivered in that high end space. 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Put an Alembic, Wal or KS up for that price and you'll find they will shift, because they are recognised quality brands who have consistently delivered in that high end space. 

I wouldn't say that - I would say they are recognised brands that go for that much. I have never played a KS, but I have played both an alembic or a wal that I wouldn't swap my prestige for for quality reasons (I would swap for financial reasons!), but if you want one, that is the price you have to pay. 

There's a guy in Alaska who plays lefty, & he returned a Premium SR, because it had a spot where the finish has worn off.

Now he's kicking himself for losing the Nordtrand's & unable to find another Lefty Premium SR.

The one I regret is a 4004 Walnut Rickenbacker that I could have had for only $1,750 USD!

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling error

• 2 weeks later...

USA get some weird Hump Back SR, along with a 4 string Fan Fret SR.

Must say i likes the 'Warn Pebble SR Body Shape and the SR Neck Dimensions.

And only the GSR seem to come PJ Nowerdays, but Flat Contoured Body and Wider at Nut neck.

Would love a SR Body n Necked plain jane, natural finish, passive V T single P, Mk1 Barts are reverese split coil in a soap bar and Ibby seen to prefer reverse like on the GSR but there is something familiar about the look of the 2 brick split coil style P pickup what ever way round... and a Roadster-esq ish 4 in line headstock... 

Edited by PaulThePlug