Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

12 minutes ago, Sir Toby said:

Considering a rm-300-evo-ii for home use and jamming. Can get it for 249 GBP. Paired with rm-115 cab it's 528 GBP or paired with a Toneman 1x15 cab it's 420. Any recommendations? I won't be gigging with it.

Or just get the Studio 15 combo for 340 GBP and be done with it?

Since you won't be gigging, I'd go with the Studio combo. I have no experience with the Studio range, but I do with their AAA Vintage 12 and it sounds really good. 

If gigging could be a possibility, I'd go with the RM and RM cab. I love my RM head, but I cannot use it at low volume in my apartment. However, you could also play with people with the Studio 15. If I were you, I'd get the Studio combo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @javi_bassist

The Studio 15 looks great. The RM-300 has a compression knob that might come in handy but otherwise the Studio seems great. I don't see gigging happening for me in the near future, my playing is purely for enjoyment. If things change the Studio 15 is the perfect practice amp for home use anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

My RM500!!

I also want to ask you something. Even though I'm quite happy with that cab, I have just bought a RM112. The reason is that I wanted to downsize my rig because I sometimes play in small venues that prefer something smaller. And I want to swith to two 112 too. So I just bought one and I was curious if it is a good idea to use the 112 with the 210. I have never really liked to combine different size speakers. What do you guys think? 

185775120_10159312515329559_9070941406579775537_n.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Incidentally I noticed your input setting is very low ?? 

Yes. I wrote about here (in this thread or in the forum, but I don't remember where). I have to set the input relatively low because it starts clipping very soon. I wrote Ashdown about it and they told me that the RM has more gain (compared to the ABM that is the one that I used to compare it to). I more or less got used to it. It startrs clipping with the VU meter at 10-11

I must say that I love my RM500. It's been my main amp for a three years and, even though the year before the pandemic I was playing ampless, it makes me smile every time I plug my bass in the RM head. With just a little bit of drive and  a little bit comp I don't even need any pedals. However, since I play ampless 90% of the time, I bought the OriginAL preamp because it's the closest preamp to the RM. The valve drive is a really big difference. I know that someone here said that he asked Ashdown about creating a RM with a valve inside and they said it would be really difficult, but I'd really love that. Something like the Little Bastard550 but with the EQ of the RM. I have the Spyder 330 and I love it, but I prefer the preamp of the RM.

Anyway, I think the RM is one of the most underrated class D heads in the market and I love mine  

Edited by javi_bassist
  • Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 07:41, Merton said:

My latest idea with @eude is to find a way to mate the OriginAL preamp with an ABM power amp/PSU in a more compact housing, like the old Eden WT400/550 heads. We reckon Ashdown could clean up with something like that.

Something like this you mean?

https://ashdownmusic.com/collections/b-stock/products/abm-apm-1000-evo-ii-power-amp-b-stock

Just now, BassBunny said:

Not quite. Yes in so far as I want the power section (which that is) but no because I want to basically bastardise an ABM and OriginAL for parts and merge the two together into something with a smaller footprint.

The main things stopping me are:

1. Lack of electronickery know how (I might have done a degree in the subject but that was 20 years ago and I haven’t touched it since!)

2. Cost for getting all the parts together

3. Er, that’s it 🤓

3 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

You do realise that mentioning it to Mark Gooday would result in a, " yeah, we can do that".......at a price. 🙂

Funnily enough, we’ve tried already and so far been met with “no” sadly. Maybe we need more of us asking... just saying 😃😎

• Like 1

I just bought an Ashdown RM112 Evo II. I wanted something more compact and portable for small stages. Today it arrived and I was testing it for about 30 minutes. And I have to say that I'm a little bit dissapointed. My impression is that it has a lot of mids. I cut some mids and it sounded better, but I find it a lot of mid focused. What do you guys think?

20210518_202555.jpg

Not tried the RM cabs but the ABM is a similar sized small 210 cab and I find it has plenty of bass and warm punch 

I think the RM heads need the 240hz control turned down a fair bit to lose  the honk .. I don’t have this need on the ABM600 so both are voiced differently I think. 
A simple test is turn off your EQ and push in the shape button .. what does it sound like ? 
It will or should sound deep and full but a little boomy perhaps and seriously lacking mids ... Might show what the cab can do or not ? 

Edited by BassAdder27

Also ... I’ve spent ages on learning about the RM EQ and other controls and it’s nice having the ABM600 as a comparison head.

Since Ive changed to pick playing and for the first time felt the tone is exactly what I want from my PBass .. I’ve had to change my EQ settings to reflect this and also turn my bass tone to about 3/4 fully on to get a really full warm and punchy sound.

With fingers it was always a bit lacking however I tried adjusting the EQ and at times I thought it was the small cab size playing a part but it was the Amp EQ mostly and pick playing that really made it for me 

Edited by BassAdder27