Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

19 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

6BFD7D6D-CE31-41E5-8594-C43B19DF8DD2.thumb.jpeg.7e5f78495ce5046cfc386456bd8f5718.jpeg

Really cool rig! I will probably get also a pair of those new neo cabs. I've always been a fan of the 10" speakers, but I might try one 15" for a change.

Yesterday I was playing with my RM500 at home (using the DI) and the gain section drives me crazy. Maybe I should forget about the VU meter or I should forget if it clips sometimes. The thing is that, with the bass plugged into the active input, the red light it's lighting all the time. And the bass doesn't have a crazy output signal. But it drives me nuts. Or maybe I am too used to playing with my ABM that I needed to crank the Input gain up to 3 o'clock. Or maybe I'm not understanding the RM as I should... Any advice?

56 minutes ago, Merton said:

If it sounds bad with the red light flashing, turn it down. If it doesn’t, then keep playing :)

It doesn't sound like clipping actually. That's why I find it odd. And it lights when the VU meter needle is about 10-11 o'clock. I will have to close my eyes and trust my ears

Those 210H Pro Neo cabs are very punchy and full sounding. 

Not as deep as some ported cabs but deep enough and good dispersion too 

As a stack you can easily hear yourself and it looks good too !! 

The Tweeters are very bright so I turned both off.

Can carry in one hand and very compact 

Worth checking out 

31 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

You could ask Ashdown to check it out but sounds wrong if the VU needle is where you said and the red light comes on !

Is it a really hot output bass ?? 

I would definitely turn the input gain down until you no longer see the red light 

Nope, it doesn't have much output. 

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I tried the headphone socket on the rm500 last night for the first time, there’s a lot of interference, has anyone experienced this 

I use the headphone socket on my RM800 frequently and never had any issues at all.

Edited by lou24d53
  • Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 15:07, Reggaebass said:

You could give Dave a ring at ashdown and he will help I’ve got his number if you need it 

I sent Ashdown an email. They say it's normal because the RM has more gain than their previous models. Anyway, I've get used to it and I try different input gain settings. Thanks anyway! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I tried the headphone socket on the rm500 last night for the first time, there’s a lot of interference, has anyone experienced this 

I found the same, apparently the SMPS causes the interference and the suggestion is to use lesser headphones!

1 minute ago, Merton said:

I found the same, apparently the SMPS causes the interference and the suggestion is to use lesser headphones!

Funnily enough, I've got a GK MB500 and the headphone output is actually driven directly from the ICE power module via dropper resistors. If I look at the signal with a spectrum analyser (just REW running on my PC and using an audio interface) it is atrocious with all sorts of HF noise and artifacts - basically the switching crud from the class D power amp (which is made much worse without a proper low-impedence load connected). It's not a problem for my GK as it doesn't have an aux input, so I'm never going to use the headphone facility on that anyway.

I wonder if the RM does the same? Bad design choice if there's an aux input.

4 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

I use the headphone socket on my RM800 frequently and never had any issues at all.

I can't say I've noticed any at all...but no doubt I'll start listening out for it now after reading this thread...!! 😫

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

What’s smps , I’ve just bought the headphones as they are recommended for recording 

Switch Mode Power Supply. It’s the main component in bringing weight down as you don’t use a big transformer for the voltage drop from 230VAC. Basically does what it says on the tin, switches at a very high frequency. This can lead to the artefacts you’re experiencing on the headphone output.

@nilebodgers has raised a very good point - I suspect it is the same headphone amp design as it’s the same ICEPower module so I don’t know if there’s much flexibility on that. But yes the RM heads have a Line In...

• Thanks 1

I get a lot of background 'hiss' when using the headphones with the RM800.  Not noticeable when playing or with music in the aux feed, but on its own it's quite annoying. I just don't use it with headphones any more. 

• Like 1

I have the ABM210H EVO IV Pro Neo cabs and I think they are very similar to the RM cabs.

The ABM cabs have choices of fronts, mine are black metal grill and I think a little heavier than the RM cabs which may be the timber used ?

My first reaction was how small they are for a 210 cab but they are loud and punchy 

• 2 weeks later...

Liking my new settings on my RM800

Rock tone using a bit of drive and SUB

Inspired by the ABM600 I’ve recently acquired and suggested tones in the ABM manual. Sounds good finger or pick playing ( PBass tone backed off )

Grind and punch sounding yet with clarity 
4780A663-3B15-4ACC-94E9-932FB38940D1.thumb.jpeg.441e37605b68e000b0a40ff2a16b9251.jpeg

Considering a rm-300-evo-ii for home use and jamming. Can get it for 249 GBP. Paired with rm-115 cab it's 528 GBP or paired with a Toneman 1x15 cab it's 420. Any recommendations? I won't be gigging with it.

Or just get the Studio 15 combo for 340 GBP and be done with it?