Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It’s amazing how a bit of kit that doesn’t exactly blow us away isolated can work so well in the mix, isn’t it? Glad to hear the trusty RM112 worked well.

Yes! Some gear can not blow us away at first, but then grow up on us. It happened to me with my Yamaha BB605. I'd been looking for one for some years. After I finally got one (and in the finish I liked) when I played it it was just ok. But after some months I got used to it and I love it. 

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

Yes! Some gear can not blow us away at first, but then grow up on us. It happened to me with my Yamaha BB605. I'd been looking for one for some years. After I finally got one (and in the finish I liked) when I played it it was just ok. But after some months I got used to it and I love it. 

I had that when I first gigged a Les Paul. I absolutely hated it, couldn't believe I'd blown a months wages on it. Turned out to be too low on the strap!! Then it was my goto for quite some time

• Like 1

A bit like adjusting your bass amp settings at home only to hate that at band practice!

Cant see why anyone would want to use the Shape Feature.. The position where it creates a smiley face EQ 

At home on low volume it sounds great but turn it up and it’s horrible ! 

• 4 weeks later...

Moved to post again on this most excellent amp / cab set up. 

Every time I use it I'm reminded of how perfect it is for my needs. 

I am not interested in entering a slanging match with those of you who dislike the Shape feature. It's a rehash of the Trace Elliot argument and one man's meat is of course another's poison. 

The crucial thing as far as I'm concerned with my little RM500 1X12 combo is pairing it with the 1X12 extension cab. It just comes to life. Room filling bottom end and perfect defined melodic midrange. 

I use the shape button (it's never off!) and boost the mid control to taste, then I'm nearly good to go - wherever I'm playing. 

The only other thing I need to do is dial in just enough 'grit' from the overdrive and my 'clean' sound is complete. 

I have had a multitude of amps and cabs in the many, many years I've been playing. I have an embarrassment of options today of all shapes, designs, makes and sizes. I confess I usually take this out to save space in the car and to save my back. However every time I do I end up amazed by how good it sounds. 

It's a belter. 

• Like 4

Used my RM 800 head at last night's gig, shape feature off, mid and upper mid sightly boosted. Fender Precision, flats, Barefaced super compact. Sounds fine to my ears, and the guitarist's, who's not slow to tell me if the bass doesn't sound right.

The RM is my main amp now as I have sold the ABM 600 & Super Twin cab.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Cool rig!! And cool Sandberg

RM500 into two twelve inch speakers. Compact, lightweight, punchy as hell. 

Yeah the Sandberg is a rare treat for me. Seldom buy a bass over £400 but when a seller as good as @Frank Blank offers a bass as good as this I'm going to break the bank for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This might not be the best place to ask, but did anyone consider the Original heads/combos as well as the rootmasters?

I am interested to know what the differences are other than a bit more EQ on the rootmasters.

There’s a demo on the Andertons YouTube channel of the RM and the Original head; my personal feeling is the Original 500 head has a sweeter sounding EQ than the RM but the RM has the drive, sub and compressor which make it more versatile as a standalone head. Depends on how you do all your tone shaping I guess.

If I didn’t already have 3 million amps I’d have an Original 500 as a spare, especially at the current Andertons price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

They are a bit of a bargain at the moment, aren’t they? 

Yes. My wallet is sweating and it’s not just the heat 😅

PS also contemplating the Pro Neo cabs argh

Edited by Merton

56 minutes ago, Merton said:

There’s a demo on the Andertons YouTube channel of the RM and the Original head; my personal feeling is the Original 500 head has a sweeter sounding EQ than the RM but the RM has the drive, sub and compressor which make it more versatile as a standalone head. Depends on how you do all your tone shaping I guess.

If I didn’t already have 3 million amps I’d have an Original 500 as a spare, especially at the current Andertons price.

I was wondering if there was any difference in power section or whether it was as simple as different EQ and features.

3 minutes ago, NJE said:

I was wondering if there was any difference in power section or whether it was as simple as different EQ and features.

TBH I’m not sure what power stage the Original uses; I’d guess it’s the same ICEPower board that the RM500 uses but couldn’t be sure one way or the other.

The Original 300... less sure again but I have a vague recollection that Mark Gooday hinted it WASN’T an ICEPower board for once.

I've always been curious about the OriginAL heads too. It looked more straightforward in the sense that they only have the EQ section. And I think it's more or less the same (the frequeincies are the same I think). But I'm not sure if there are a lot of differencies beyond the Drive, Comp and Sub.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

My ABM600 is in the for sale section, decided to use my RM800 with my Ampeg pedal 

Tough decision as the ABM600 is a great amp but need to let it go I think 

Sad day, but unless playing very big stages the RM amps can sound very much like the ABMs. The difference only becomes apparent when on those big stages and the weight/heft of the sound of the ABM shows up. In regular pub type venues the RM more than fills them out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is what I used today with my cover band. Soundwise: amazing. I really really loved the tone I got. And really loud. It could keep up against two tube guitar amps.

The bad: the head was always moving. I was scared of it falling off the cab. I used to have a GK mbe212 which also moved, but not that much. Any piece of advice? My RM210T doesn't move (nor the head, of course) but the RM112 could not stop moving. It was more like vibrations I guess, because it made the head move.

20210729_194725.jpg

50 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

This is what I used today with my cover band. Soundwise: amazing. I really really loved the tone I got. And really loud. It could keep up against two tube guitar amps.

The bad: the head was always moving. I was scared of it falling off the cab. I used to have a GK mbe212 which also moved, but not that much. Any piece of advice? My RM210T doesn't move (nor the head, of course) but the RM112 could not stop moving. It was more like vibrations I guess, because it made the head move.

20210729_194725.jpg

This stuff?590C6738-6CD7-4A89-A295-4890A9D9ED92.thumb.png.ae215314a5f7c1e336fdffb2c124984f.png

• Thanks 1