Why become a member? ×

LMII Head, now then, what cab...

karlthebassist

Hey

So, I have moved away from my Markbass 103H combo to a LMII head. I have a little 1x10 cab that I have made for practice and possibly using with my acousitc bass and guitars.
I'm after one or two 1x12 cabs, or maybe a 1x12 and a 2x10.

Lightweight would be nice, but I'm really not that fussed about weight, physical size is more important, but it must be fairly loud. I.e. be heard over Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards and Drums in a 5 piece blues/rnb/rock band. The guitarist uses a lovely Orange Rocker 30 combo 1x12 with 1x12 extension cab when used live on big gigs.

I'm liking the price and size of the Aguilar GS 112 cabs. I would probably want to add the GS112NT for large gigs...

Does anyone have any opinion on these cabs, or any other cabs I sould be looking at? I would like to spend around 350 quid per cab really, but 400 could be done...

Cheers guys
Karl

Edited by karlthebassist

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='438771' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:00 PM']I use a Shroeder 1212L with my LMII. Its very loud & very clear. Maybe a single 12 Schroeder could be worth investigating?[/quote]

I'll second that although the sound might not suit everyone.

A few weeks ago We did a gig where my Schroeder 1212L cab and LMII were used by all the bands. First band used a double bass mic-ed and I loved that.

When the second band came on I went to the back of the very large room to hear the Schroeder and was knocked out. Loud, thick, warm. Nothing like I was hearing during sound check. It gave me confidence in these little cabs all over again.

These things are amazing really. Small and light and well up to a very loud gig.

I was thinking about selling the Schroeder for two very small 1 x 12 cabs but it changed my mind.

Anyway, I hope this helps because everyone naturally recommends the gear they own, but hearing someone else use my Schroeder cab was amazing.

Frank

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='438748' date='Mar 18 2009, 10:37 PM']....I'm after one or two 1x12 cabs, or maybe a 1x12 and a 2x10.
I'm liking the price and size of the Aguilar GS 112 cabs. I would probably want to add the GS112NT for large gigs...
Does anyone have any opinion on these cabs, or any other cabs I sould be looking at?....[/quote]
Aguilar GS112 cabs sound great either on their own or together. I wanted a neo 112 so I sold mine and brought the Bergantino, but if Aguilar ever gets around to building a neo 112 cab I'll be checking them out.
You could have a look at the DB112's which are supposed to sound even better.

Edited by chris_b

I cant recall ever seeing a bad word about Aguillar cabs. Small but not light. You might want to look at the non Neo Bergs as well. Lightweight wise the little Berg AE's, Dr Bass, Genz Benz and the TecAmp (if you can find anyone selling them), Epifani, Accugrove etc etc all make good light cabs.

Alex is working on some Barefaced 12's that look good as well.

MarkBass cabs do not appear to be as popular as the amps.

One benefit of having 2 12"s rather than a 2x12" (or at least a ickle one like the Schroeder) is you get speaker closer to your ear. I'm always looking for stuff to put my Shroeder 1212 on so I can hear it on stage without deafening the audience.

But in portability terms, the 1212 is very cool. And I can't imagine ever needing two of them.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I'll 2nd-or 3rd- the LMII & GS112 combination. SWEET rig. & even greater w/ 2 x GS112's. The GS112 is a great sounding cab- I did our usual Sunday eve gig last week with this exact rig & was AGAIN blown away by how great it sounds!!! The GS112 & LMII combo = true bass sound, which is rich, thick, clear & classy!!! I USUALLY have the tweeter on about 1/4 (9 oclock) & the 2 filters at about 8 oclock on the LMII & all other EQ flat. I use a Fender PJ & also a modded Riley(palatino) EUB. Sounds GREAT for both these basses. I've also got an Aggie GS115 which I use w/ for bigger gigs, & find this to be a superb cab also, & w/ the GS112 it really adds some 'oooomph' :-) I HAVE used 2 GS112's together tho & am undecided as to which is better- the 2 GS112's or a GS112 & GS115?? But I LIKE having the 15" for use on it's own sometimes, or to pair w/ another 1x15" for an old sch. 2x15" rig!!!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='438843' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:12 AM']Alex is working on some Barefaced 12's that look good as well.[/quote]

However I suspect the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html"]Compact[/url] would do an even better job - a single cab that is lighter than one GS112 but louder than two of them!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='438893' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:00 AM']However I suspect the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html"]Compact[/url] would do an even better job - a single cab that is lighter than one GS112 but louder than two of them!

Alex[/quote]

I've been meaning to ask: What's the max. power you can bung at one of those before it breaks? I can't see it mentioned on the page anywhere. I appreciate it's an 8ohm cab so it would probably have to be a big amp, but I'm curious.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='438899' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:12 AM']I've been meaning to ask: What's the max. power you can bung at one of those before it breaks? I can't see it mentioned on the page anywhere. I appreciate it's an 8ohm cab so it would probably have to be a big amp, but I'm curious.[/quote]

If the amp is running clean and you're not boosting the lows then probably over 1000W. The driver is thermally rated at 450W which means it's been run with a signal peaking at 1800W and averaging 450W over a multi-hour period without damage, and Xlim is high enough that it won't die from over-excursion with that amount of power right down to 40Hz. If you get really silly boosting down around 30Hz then you could kill it with a lot less power but the same is true of any ported cab.

Realistically the sensitivity is high enough that few players would need more than about 200W to gig with it which gives a nice margin of error!

Alex

The OP wanted a cab to use for his acoustic band and then add a cab for louder playing. A 112 would work there but maybe instead of a second 112, he could look at a barefaced cab, for instance, instead of another 12?
The GS112's are 42lbs which most people find ok for a 1 hand lift, but I don't! If the GS112's had 2 handles I might still be using them but I went for the Bergantino, which sounds great and is only 30lbs.

[quote name='chris_b' post='439130' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:39 PM']The OP wanted a cab to use for his acoustic band and then add a cab for louder playing. A 112 would work there but maybe instead of a second 112, he could look at a barefaced cab, for instance, instead of another 12?
The GS112's are 42lbs which most people find ok for a 1 hand lift, but I don't! If the GS112's had 2 handles I might still be using them but I went for the Bergantino, which sounds great and is only 30lbs.[/quote]
Here you go again :)

I know you are really happy with the sound you get from mixing cabs but it is a lottery, with increasing odds if you are buying blind (or should that be deaf). I am sure Alex does not know how one of his cabs would work with a different 112.

Mmmmm...
Some of you are going to cheer me on, others will be less enthusiastic, but I think I'm going to order a GS112 and see how I get on with it. I mean, they are only 355 quid. That sounds like a good price to me for something that so many people rate so highly. The Bergantino cabs are very cool, I heard them with markbass heads at last years Music LIVE at the NEC and was dead impressed. But they are a lot more expensive than I can justify.

I think I'm just going to have to put up with the weight. I guess players managed 20 years ago before Neo cabs were everywhere....

and Stevie yeah, I do have the facilities to make the cabs, but when it comes to designing the box, sourcing good qaulity speakers, tweeters and designing a crossover, I'd really have to do a lot of research - and I just can't be bothered at the moment. But it is certainly something I'd like to do in the future.

I imagine I'll end up with the same rig as GreeneKing.

Stuff is just so expensive :)

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='439490' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:59 PM']and Stevie yeah, I do have the facilities to make the cabs, but when it comes to designing the box, sourcing good qaulity speakers, tweeters and designing a crossover, I'd really have to do a lot of research - and I just can't be bothered at the moment. But it is certainly something I'd like to do in the future.[/quote]

Funny, I can design and source a speaker system in less time than you can make a cab. Crossovers take a little longer, but I've designed them for many well known companies and still have all the software and measuring equipment. Maybe we should do a cab at some future time and publish all the info on the forum. I think there might be a bit of interest.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='439422' date='Mar 19 2009, 04:48 PM']Here you go again :)

I know you are really happy with the sound you get from mixing cabs but it is a lottery, with increasing odds if you are buying blind (or should that be deaf). I am sure Alex does not know how one of his cabs would work with a different 112.[/quote]
That's not I'm not suggesting! Surely a Barefaced cab doesn't need any help from a 112? You really should have your tunnel vision looked at!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='438920' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:52 AM']I use a LMII and 2 x GS112's (one NT) and I'm totally happy.

In terms of lightness I would argue that if the cabs are a one handed carry how much lighter do they actually need to be?[/quote]

+1

I'm using the same cabs as Greeneking but with the SA450 and I couldn't be happier with my tone and the weight - I can get all my gear into a venue in two journeys tops or one if I use my sack truck.