Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan - Technique with no soul?

saibuster

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='439236' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:48 PM']There *is* something a bit sad about guys over 40 with a pony tail. Mind you, I'm as bald as a baldy thing so I'm not sure I'm allowed an opinion.[/quote]

:rolleyes: :D ;) I only got rid of mine less than a year ago, I'm 40....but still sad :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='439236' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:48 PM']There *is* something a bit sad about guys over 40 with a pony tail. Mind you, I'm as bald as a baldy thing so I'm not sure I'm allowed an opinion.[/quote]

Two more years for mine then! :)

[quote name='Jase' post='438827' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:38 AM']Talking of Hendrix

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F9bBAqb0o8"]Billy/Hendrix[/url][/quote]
And yet another gratuitous, extended, two-handed bass solo from the master. If he doesn't watch it he'll go blind. :)

[quote name='saibuster' post='438697' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:37 PM']I was always under the impression that Billy sheehan was all bells and whistles, playing with mad technique and thats about it.

but than i watched this video and technique, soul or whatever - its plain awesome!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5EDyD9D1Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5EDyD9D1Q[/url]

what do you guys think??[/quote]

Great sound in the lower register.

Can't wait to see the 'shreds' version of this...

Flame proof bunker built - check
Flame suit on - check
Flame proof table to hide under - check

Right, here goes, is that not just the same sort of thing as Maria Carey/Christina Aguilera doing all that voice warbling and vocal w*%£^^*%g. Is this just not fret w*%£^^*%g on a bass??

Runs and Hides to the safety of my flame proof bunker. :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='439437' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:05 PM']Right, here goes, is that not just the same sort of thing as Maria Carey/Christina Aguilera doing all that voice warbling and vocal w*%£^^*%g. Is this just not fret w*%£^^*%g on a bass??[/quote]

I'm with you all the way, Linus. I don't care how many notes you can play in a minute. I'd rather listen to BB King than Paul Gilbert. Still, I don't expect everyone to share my tastes - that would be boring.

My favourite version of Addicted To That Rush - billy and paul gilbert playing in a rehersal room with just a drum machine: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wkh14D_UN4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wkh14D_UN4...feature=related[/url]

Edited by peteb

I reckon that he's a talented man who makes music that loads of people enjoy which is great and shows that he's connecting with people and that's what music is for isn't it?

having said that I don't really like the music he plays.

i think billy sheehans excellent, he's one of my favourite players. ok, he might be a bit of a guitarist technique wise, but he's still brilliant. i'd much rather listen to him playing fast than say victor wooten or marcus miller double thumbing fast (i realise they're very different music and can't be compared, but i wasn't trying to compare them, i was just saying i'd rather listen to billy sheehan)

+1

i can't stand fully grown men with a pony tail, it always looks silly to me. no offence meant towards people with pony tails on here, i just don't like em.

but then again, i'm 16 and already got a receeding hair line, so i suppose im not allowed an opinion either.

[quote name='The Funk' post='439514' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:14 PM']Personally, I think Mariah Carey is an exceptionally good singer - who sings exceptionally boring songs.[/quote]
It's not the songs - it's the way she yodels them. Yes, she has a great voice.
[quote name='The Funk' post='439514' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:14 PM']And hey, one person's w***fest is another person's bukkake party.[/quote]
Oh dear. I take it you are a Mr Big fan.

[quote name='Linus27' post='439437' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:05 PM']Right, here goes, is that not just the same sort of thing as Maria Carey/Christina Aguilera doing all that voice warbling and vocal w*%£^^*%g. Is this just not fret w*%£^^*%g on a bass??

Runs and Hides to the safety of my flame proof bunker. :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

you better hide well calling Christina.....whats wrong with you ?

[quote name='The Funk' post='439514' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:14 PM']Personally, I think Mariah Carey is an exceptionally good singer - who sings exceptionally boring songs.

And hey, one person's w***fest is another person's bukkake party.[/quote]

Bukkake bass....! no thats wrong.

[quote name='rOB' post='439611' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:32 PM']I reckon that he's a talented man who makes music that loads of people enjoy which is great and shows that he's connecting with people and that's what music is for isn't it?

having said that I don't really like the music he plays.[/quote]

Agree totally , respect the man, music leaves me cold.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='439622' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:41 PM']i think billy sheehans excellent, he's one of my favourite players. ok, he might be a bit of a guitarist technique wise, but he's still brilliant. i'd much rather listen to him playing fast than say victor wooten or marcus miller double thumbing fast (i realise they're very different music and can't be compared, but i wasn't trying to compare them, i was just saying i'd rather listen to billy sheehan)

+1

i can't stand fully grown men with a pony tail, it always looks silly to me. no offence meant towards people with pony tails on here, i just don't like em.

but then again, i'm 16 and already got a receeding hair line, so i suppose im not allowed an opinion either.[/quote]

Of course you're allowed an opinion...Bill's a guitarist and men 40+ with ponytails are stupid......that's basically you're opinion. Now......this is what gets my ponytail wagging (although I don't have it any more) but still...look further into players, in this case "Sheehan" is nothing like a guitar player, his "bass playing" is the real thing ROCK BASS PLAYING!!! :) You darn kids :rolleyes:

[quote name='ARGH' post='439666' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:15 PM']Its a question of fashion,and do you really give a toss what people think you should look like.

What constitutes a 'Fully grown man' kiddo?[/quote]

i take it this was aimed at me?

i dont give a toss what other people think i should look like, and i sure hope they dont give a toss about what i think others should look like. just cos i dont like ponytails doesnt mean id expect anyone to cut theirs off, that would be stupid. like you said, its fashion. and life would be boring if we all looked the same.

and i dunno, what does constitute a fully grown man? thats also a matter of opinion.

[quote name='Jase' post='439694' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:36 PM']Of course you're allowed an opinion...Bill's a guitarist and men 40+ with ponytails are stupid......that's basically you're opinion. Now......this is what gets my ponytail wagging (although I don't have it any more) but still...look further into players, in this case "Sheehan" is nothing like a guitar player, his "bass playing" is the real thing ROCK BASS PLAYING!!! :) You darn kids :rolleyes:[/quote]

i know im allowed an opinion, i was joking because the person i quoted said he wasnt allowed an opinion because hes bald.

but you got me all wrong. bills not a guitarist. i think hes a fantastic bass player, but he does use techniques more prominent in guitar. however, think this makes him, if anything, an even better bass player, because he's doing something not a lot of other bassists do, and he makes it work.

and again, men 40+ with ponytails arent stupid. i got nothing against the men, i just dislike the ponytails. but its their hair, they can do what they like with it. if they like pponytails, its fine by me if they have a ponytail.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='439702' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:45 PM']i take it this was aimed at me?

i dont give a toss what other people think i should look like, and i sure hope they dont give a toss about what i think others should look like. just cos i dont like ponytails doesnt mean id expect anyone to cut theirs off, that would be stupid. like you said, its fashion. and life would be boring if we all looked the same.

and i dunno, what does constitute a fully grown man? thats also a matter of opinion.

i know im allowed an opinion, i was joking because the person i quoted said he wasnt allowed an opinion because hes bald.

but you got me all wrong. bills not a guitarist. i think hes a fantastic bass player, but he does use techniques more prominent in guitar. however, think this makes him, if anything, an even better bass player, because he's doing something not a lot of other bassists do, and he makes it work.

and again, men 40+ with ponytails arent stupid. i got nothing against the men, i just dislike the ponytails. but its their hair, they can do what they like with it. if they like pponytails, its fine by me if they have a ponytail.[/quote]

No worries mate...I'm not here to get personal, don't mind a bit of banter and I'm not having a go personally at you...tidy darts :)

[quote name='stevie' post='439717' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:57 PM']We should have guessed. I bet you're a closet John Denver fan, too. :)[/quote]
Jim Reeves and Conway Twitty...
That Denver boy needs a haircut and some manners!

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Jase' post='439721' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:00 PM']No worries mate...I'm not here to get personal, don't mind a bit of banter and I'm not having a go personally at you...tidy darts :)[/quote]

didn't think for a second you were, i was just saying that youre conclusion was incorrect.