Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton PB-20 SBK

Bobo_08

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

That’s a handsome beast!

How does it feel/sound?

It feels nice, a little on the heavier side, but i've not weighed it yet. Had to adjust the relief and tweeked saddle height a tiny bit, but otherwise it was good to go, I also replaced the strings with some HB 5 quid ones for now, which are an improvement on the originals. The neck feels nice and while is not as slip as my Yamaha, it isn't that much bigger and is definitely not as fat on on my Cort C4 plus. It had no sharp fret ends unlike my Yamaha TRBX304, which had several sharp fret edges especially towards the bottom of the neck, but I love the neck profile on that guitar. 

Sound wise I am playing through a TC electronics spectra drive, Dry the signal is a bit low, lower than my cort C4 plus in passive mode, but with the gain and compression engaged it's sounds good. It's my only P style bass so I have nothing to compare it too. 

Going forward I might consider dropping a Wilkinson Alnico V in there, a relatively cheap mod, but I am more inclined to replace the machine heads first, they are the weakest link i think... quite notchy and tough to turn, but for the price I am not complaining. 

Cheers

Edited by Bobo_08
  • Thanks 1

Wilkinson alnico pickups will be a big improvement on the sound, you'll definitely notice a difference if you do change them.

As for the tuners, a little vaseline on the spindle/cogs and they'll turn much better. Cheap tuners don't get lubricated, so it's metal rubbing on metal, which is why they're tough to turn.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

Going forward I might consider dropping a Wilkinson Alnico V in there, a relatively cheap mod, but I am more inclined to repalce the machine heads first, they are the weakest link i think... quite notchy and tough to turn, but for the price I am not complaining.

You could also consider Entwhistle pups - awesome and cheap as French fries.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Wilkinson alnico pickups will be a big improvement on the sound, you'll definitely notice a difference if you do change them.

As for the tuners, a little vaseline on the spindle/cogs and they'll turn much better. Cheap tuners don't get lubricated, so it's metal rubbing on metal, which is why they're tough to turn.

Thanks for the tip on the Vaseline... will defffo give that a shot!!

7 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

You could also consider Entwhistle pups - awesome and cheap as French fries.

Ahh... Entwhistle... I will have a look at that possibility too, thanks for the info. 

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

I have the exact model. Apart from the Kiogon tone switch I have to say I've left it as it arrived. 

It came set up how I like it, and sounded superb. 

One of the nicest finishes on any bass I've seen. 

On 28/09/2020 at 20:09, invertigo said:

Upgraded my kit HB P Bass with a Wilkinson MPB I believe it is, along with a Kiogon loom. Sounds lovely and old now when combined with LaBella Deep Talkin

Where or how do I obtain a Kiogon Loom, from searches I get the impression is a supplied by someone on the forums?

Cheers

14 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Hows the neck on these? Slim or chunky?

The website says modern C neck profile.....

I'd say its reasonably slim... not as slim as on my TRBX304... Don't know if there is a specific way of measuring that I could do to help give a more useful idea.

10 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Hows the neck on these? Slim or chunky?

The website says modern C neck profile.....

If you've played any standard P bass made in the last 20-25 years, it'll feel like that, that's basically a modern C neck. 50s and 70s style bass necks will be chunky. No P bass necks are slim - jazz necks are slim. 😀

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Like 1