Why become a member? ×

Ovation Magnum..........which model?

ProfJames

Magnum 1 - eccentric "potato" shaped body (inspired by the Deacon and Breadwinner axe-shaped guitars), twin pickups, passive circuit with mono and stereo outputs.

Magnum 2,- as above but with 3-band active circuit (6 graphic sliders supposedly keep volume output constant when adjusting EQ), mono output.

Magnum 3 - as model 1 but with more traditional double cutaway body.

Magnum 4 - as model 2 but with more traditional double cutaway body.

Magnum 1 is my favourite (I have a factory fretless one) - love the original body shape, and the active circuit is known for being noisy and hungry with batteries.  All fab bases though! :i-m_so_happy:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a Magnum II fretless and a Magnum III fretted. They're both glorious sounding basses, and the quirks of the design are really quite fascinating (as is the back-story to Ovation generally), but they are undeniably heavy beasts.

That enormous mud-bucker at the neck does not produce the expected Gibson EB thud, but is far more musical and 'tailorable' thanks to individual volume controls for each pole-piece. The tones you can get when combining both pickups are well worth experimenting with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

That enormous mud-bucker at the neck does not produce the expected Gibson EB thud, but is far more musical and 'tailorable' thanks to individual volume controls for each pole-piece. The tones you can get when combining both pickups are well worth experimenting with.

It's not really a "mud-bucker" though, more individual single coil pickups for each string fitted into a single cover, and IIRC has more in common with Wal pickups than anything Gibson ever made.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fleabag said:

Didnt  Jah Wobble use a Mag 2  in Public Image Ltd ?

Just watched Death Disco and couldn't get a good view.............definitely his preferred bass was a Magnum though he stated somewhere he also used a BB1100s for some sounds........

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What's so bizarre about the pickup arrangement?

U-shaped pole pieces in the bridge and the quad coil in the neck that  was unusual at the time, with neck pup having gain control on each coil

Edited by fleabag