Why become a member? ×

Musicians depicted in films

Dom in Dorset

9 hours ago, rushbo said:

Eric Idle is a pretty useful guitarist, but the reason that he may not be 100% convincing as a Bassist here, is the fact that he’s a right handed musician, playing the role of someone who’s left handed. Here’s a little test- flip your bass around the other way and try and play something that sounds like music and look convincing while you do it. 

I can't play left handed, but I can convincingly hold a pick and move it up and down to make it look like I can!

It astounds me that in a film that makes such an effort with authenticity, Neil Innes didn't pull Eric to one side and have a word...  even people who can't play an instrument know it looks odd. 

Perhaps it was on purpose to wind up people like me.

The 'bass player' (Cynthia Myers ?) seems to do a reasonable impression of 'strumming' her bass at the beginning, but it all falls apart from there :)

Not the worst example from the film, but being a Russ Meyer film some of the others are somewhat NSFW.

Edited by ahpook

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Sorry, another one.  I adore That Thing You Do! - god knows how many times I've watched it.  It's also one of those films that I can just dip into from any point in the running time and enjoy.

Great film! As far as I can remember very accurate with the instruments and amps too. Tom Hanks is his usual brilliant self too, and a funny running gag about the band's name too - 'The Oneders'. Good performances from them all.

18 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Watch a film with a nurse and they will criticise any scenes involving medical procedures, watch a film with a rugby player and they will criticise any scenes involving rugby being played, watch a film with a soldier and they will criticise any scenes involving using weapons correctly.

I bet they even complain about it on their internet chat forums!

I never saw it at the time, but recently caught up with "The Detectorists" on iPlayer.

It is centred around some metal detector users, and whilst I don't know anything about detecting, thay seems to have researched all the details, such as how the detectorists cut a 'plug' of soil out of the ground and then replace it afterwards.

Those touches do add to the program IMO.