Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Just a warning. I bought this bass (https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-mustang-bass-1975-sunburst-hard-case-2nd-hand/) and had it delivered. When I tried to change to flats the increased tension necessitated a turn on the truss rod. Unfortunately, the rod has seized which either means it needs some pretty major lubrication or it's at the end of its travel.

I pointed this out to them and they agreed to a rapid return. It was picked up yesterday and my refund was processed today. (Happy days)

Unfortunately, they seem to have just advertised it for sale again without acknowledging the issue. They may have fixed it in the last 3 hours, which is great. But I'd exercise caution. Other than the truss rod it was a lovely bass, so here's hoping they have fixed it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for the heads up BB, always good to know 

All good. I’ve bought a few bits from them and they’ve always been more than excellent. Perhaps they have fixed this issue. I just wanted to share my experience as it’s a good price for a really lovely bass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

All good. I’ve bought a few bits from them and they’ve always been more than excellent. Perhaps they have fixed this issue. I just wanted to share my experience as it’s a good price for a really lovely bass.

I’ve bought from them before too and all was good and nice people, they do get the occasional vintage bass or two in 

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Just a warning. I bought this bass (https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-mustang-bass-1975-sunburst-hard-case-2nd-hand/) and had it delivered. When I tried to change to flats the increased tension necessitated a turn on the truss rod. Unfortunately, the rod has seized which either means it needs some pretty major lubrication or it's at the end of its travel.

I pointed this out to them and they agreed to a rapid return. It was picked up yesterday and my refund was processed today. (Happy days)

Unfortunately, they seem to have just advertised it for sale again without acknowledging the issue. They may have fixed it in the last 3 hours, which is great. But I'd exercise caution. Other than the truss rod it was a lovely bass, so here's hoping they have fixed it!

Could be a nice price negotiation for someone. I bought a Warwick second hand on here but the truss was knackered. Even for a neck thru the gallery were able to put a new one in for £100 or so.

9 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Could be a nice price negotiation for someone. I bought a Warwick second hand on here but the truss was knackered. Even for a neck thru the gallery were able to put a new one in for £100 or so.

Very true but would affect value, of course:

I had seized truss rods in both 66 Tele & 65 Strat, local techs rightly nervous about damage and said leave as they are. Took them to Feline in Croydon. Sorted with zero drama. 
I understand they take off the neck and pour copious quantities of Plusgas down the hole. Works every time apparently. I love a low-tech fix.

Excellent service from them - highly recommended if you are within range.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Bassbros have got a nice 73 P in , if it had the original pickups I’d have been tempted 

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1973-fender-precision-bass-6/

It wouldn’t be the same price if it did though. You never know the new pickups might make it a much better bass. I’d love one in this kind of condition.

• Like 2

Just now, OliverBlackman said:

It wouldn’t be the same price if it did though. You never know the new pickups might make it a much better bass. I’d love one in this kind of condition.

I never really used to look at maple fingerboards, I’ve always gone for rosewood, but I’m quite liking them now , I think I need one 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

think I need one

I think you mean want ;) 

I have found maple boarded basses from Fender and MM tend to be much chunkier than their rosewood (or whatever) counterparts. However, my recently acquired Squier, maple board, P is very comfy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike f said:

You need to play that bass, man. Do it, we only pass this way once! 

It is a looker and a play wouldn’t hurt, would it? Good weight too. 

Man alive, we’re a hoard of enablers! :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It is a looker and a play wouldn’t hurt, would it? Good weight too. 

Man alive, we’re a hoard of enablers! :lol:

If any of you want to bully me into buying a maple necked early 70s jazz bass, fill your boots!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mike f said:

If any of you want to bully me into buying a maple necked early 70s jazz bass, fill your boots!

The ones I like are the sunburst maple with the black blocks, the Aston Barrett style, a friend of mine sold their one a while back and didn’t even tell me 

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The ones I like are the sunburst maple with the black blocks, the Aston Barrett style, a friend of mine sold their one a while back and didn’t even tell me 

I’m more black body and maple neck. Brownmark, Prince & the Revolution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuyR said:

This seems reasonable value and the same vintage as me https://jayrosen.com/collections/fender-basses/products/1965-fender-jazz-bass-blond

Oooft, that is very nice, and definitely a few grand less than others would be offering it for. Looking pretty original from the exterior, i.e. all the correct fittings for an L series and correct early 65 decal and placement, and worn in in a genuine way that Clive Brown couldn't replicate... Owner was clearly a serious knob-tweaker, they've worn the plating off the control plate! 😆

The Brazilian rosewood looks a bit fresh so I'm guessing they've done a bit of fretboard sanding as part of the refret... Always a bit of a shame as it usually removes the patina but perhaps there were some bumps and humps that needed to be addressed.

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Changed my mind! I want this one. Don’t see many with an A neck and the tone is perfect.

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/bass-guitars/products/1974-fender-precision-bass-black

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Owen said:

A poor picture of my 73 A neck bitsa. An A neck is where it is at. 

17124112677546006686475556281221.jpg

Now that looks like a proper Fender! You say it's a bitsa, is there a story behind it? 

Well.... seeing as you asked.....

I picked up the body and neck on here ages ago. The price was very good and I can remember typing a PM VERY quickly.

The machine heads are 2nd hand from here. Not sure what they are. There is a D tuner on there as well. Those and the bridge were fumigated in cement cleaner to take the shine off. I should have done the knobs but got bored as is my wont. The scratchplate is a Spitfire one which cost an inordinate amount of money. I ordered it super dirty. But it was too dirty so I cleaned it. Now the w/b/w ply is a bit too shiny so I need to stain that a bit. One day. Maybe. The pickups came from The Bass Doc and were wound by the guy who did pickups for Chris Rea. As you would expect, the jazz pickup is so close to the bridge it is pretty anaemic, but there is a hole there, so I had to fill it with something. The P pickup is just fabulous. The back of the body looks like someone has been sledging on tarmac with it and the neck has clearly been sanded and waxed. It is SO comfy. The flatwounds are second hand. They were 12 years old when I got them. They have to be 25 years old by now. They have the funk. It was only when I bought this that I realised why I did not like my Bravewood P. Those C width nuts are just not for me. Don't get me wrong, the Bravewood was a thing of joy, just not ergonimically suited to me. 

You did ask. 

20240406_191119.jpg

20240406_191136.jpg

20240406_191146.jpg

• Like 1