Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

2 hours ago, rwillett said:

I was just about to pull the trigger on this but the fact the strings were an 'unknown brand' stopped me. Oh well, I'll keep looking 😊

I've got standards, they may be very low standards, but I do have some....

1 hour ago, ped said:

One of the reasons I don't like sunburst very much is that often you can see the join between two bits of wood, like on the back of this one.

It doesn't look that bad to me, at least on the front. However, I also enjoy looking at highly expensive Gibson Les Paul guitars where the job of selecting matching maple caps to avoid obvious joins appears to have been assigned to a two year old. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Owen said:

I did read it and thought £27K? At least put a fresh set on there!

Agreed. What on earth was AB thinking when he typed the unknown string brand comment? For this price he should have written that the bass will be set up with new strings of the buyer's choice. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Agreed. What on earth was AB thinking when he typed the unknown string brand comment? For this price he should have written that the bass will be set up with new strings of the buyer's choice. 

Some people really like super old strings, so without being able to say with certainty that they were original strings, I guess some buyers might like the idea that they might be. I doubt anyone buying this will be buying it because it's functional but I hope I'm wrong!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

For this price, I'd expect the bass to be setup with the strings I'd like, a night at a five star hotel, a limo to pick me up from home and a kiss on the cheek from a super model of my choice.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ped said:

Some people really like super old strings, so without being able to say with certainty that they were original strings, I guess some buyers might like the idea that they might be. I doubt anyone buying this will be buying it because it's functional but I hope I'm wrong!

If they are roundwounds they won't be the originals and of course the buyer can ask for them to be left on. The offer of a new set is still the correct thing to do in my opinion. (That's an ugly burst though).

1 minute ago, Sparky Mark said:

If they are roundwounds they won't be the originals and of course the buyer can ask for them to be left on. The offer of a new set is still the correct thing to do in my opinion. (That's an ugly burst though).

Ah I missed that they were rounds. Pretty sure Baxter would put whatever you want on for that price though!

• Like 2

At that price, does anyone care about a new set of strings? You are not paying £27k to take it down to your gig at the Dog & Duck on Friday night - either it will go to a tech of your choice for a complete examination / set-up or into a locked display cabinet. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It is really nice and I know there’s not many around that are all original ,but I’m not sure I could part with 28K for it , I think it will sell though,

63 years old, original , and still going strong is amazing 

I couldn't drop that kind of money on a bass either. My recent '73 Jazz is sunburst/tort/rosewood, plays and sounds great and I love it. I could buy 7 or 8 of them for the price of this one. Also, I travelled on public transport yesterday to and from rehearsal, returning late, with it slung over my shoulder in a gig bag. I'm not sure I could wander around a city in the dark with that bass over my shoulder.

I wonder who will buy it though, and if it will get used the way I use mine.

Rob

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I couldn't drop that kind of money on a bass either. My recent '73 Jazz is sunburst/tort/rosewood, plays and sounds great and I love it. I could buy 7 or 8 of them for the price of this one. Also, I travelled on public transport yesterday to and from rehearsal, returning late, with it slung over my shoulder in a gig bag. I'm not sure I could wander around a city in the dark with that bass over my shoulder.

Rob

As has been discussed before, it’s all relative. Top 1% in UK alone could afford this after two months pay on average. I wouldn’t be surprised if it went abroad either. If it doesn’t get played then it will be really nice for the following owner, if it does then im sure the current owner is going to have fun doing so. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OliverBlackman said:

As has been discussed before, it’s all relative. Top 1% in UK alone could afford this after two months pay on average. I wouldn’t be surprised if it went abroad either. If it doesn’t get played then it will be really nice for the following owner, if it does then im sure the current owner is going to have fun doing so. 

As I don't live in UK and would like to have it, but I don't feel money to be funny in my world, so I can't afford it and it's not funny !

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

I very much doubt that whoever buys this will use it the way you use your bass. 

I assume that you paid about £3.5k or so for your 73 Jazz? That's quite a lot of money for an electric bass, but (to me) easily justifiable if you love it and are going to play it regularly. I'm sure that you would be upset if it was to get stolen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. That's the difference between getting a bass that is a 'player' and one that costs so much that it has to be viewed as an investment!

There's no way that a rare 1960 Jazz is objectively going to be seven times better than your 73, but it is rare and extremely collectable. It is going to be bought either by a collector, or someone (presumably a top session player) who spends a lot of time in recording studios and might think that it would give him an edge in getting high level work. Either way, they are not going to put it in a gigbag and take it on the bus at night, they will just have too much money in it and it is too valuable / rare. 

Of course some people will say that you could get away with a Harley Benton for £150, but that's just the opposite extreme! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

It is really nice and I know there’s not many around that are all original ,but I’m not sure I could part with 28K for it , I think it will sell though,

63 years old, original , and still going strong is amazing 

Not many Slab Rosewood fretboards around either...probably in 1970 buyers were saying Im not paying that and the same in 1980-1990-2000-2010-2023 etc.etc,

it will sell its just finding the right buyer who has surplus income..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rwillett said:

What would you expect the price difference to be? Is it a big issue or just slightly an issue?

I don’t know anything about entwistle , but from what I can gather from the story it’s not the 68 they thought it might be, perhaps some here might know more , id say price difference would be around 2K ish

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I don’t know anything about entwistle , but from what I can gather from the story it’s not the 68 they thought it might be, perhaps some here might know more , id say price difference would be around 2K ish

A good 72 is worth more than an average 68; they're basically of the same vintage. Pre 65 is where the big money is, with 65 and some 66 on the cusp.

68 is well into CBS territory so intrinsically no more attractive just because it's 4 years older than a 72. Dealers will continue to ratchet prices upwards based on age alone it seems, but we know there are great basses and dogs from all Fender era.

• Like 2