Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that, I’ll be watching for that one, I think the provenance may take the price way too high for me but should be interesting 

Yes the story may affect the price but, so far, it is unproven and I wouldn’t want to put too much emphasis on that.  I would like to think it will attract a price that is commensurate with a standard bass of that period. An interesting one to watch for sure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greavesbass said:

68?  Thgt the bridge anomaly started in 70. Anyway it’s a just a bog standard P bass from the era...having said that a good one is a keeper.

The Entwistle connection is nonsense. Perhaps be owned it, maybe he didn’t. It won’t imbue this bog standard late 60s P with any mojo. The idea that GH don’t inflate valuations for some tenuous celebrity connection is also nonsense. The video literally illustrates that they would. 

Be sure to visit the sale room and check out the bass is my advice. 

My estimate in this mad world or Fender craziness is £6000 plus commission. If you want a vintage Fender with a realistic value go to a trusted dealer.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It's nice story, I enjoyed reading it. The finish is horrible, what's going on with the finish between the back pickup and the bridge? 

I do hope his "Best Offer" price is significantly lower too, maybe by about £7k.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Is it really a '61? The pencil mark on the neck is indistinct but, from what it looks like and the headstock logo, suggests it could be a '66

Andy Baxter has a '62 body only refinish with a very similar logo, so I think it's probably ok.

3 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Andy Baxter has a '62 body only refinish with a very similar logo, so I think it's probably ok.

Ah right, thanks. I was expecting a spaghetti logo but my knowledge is very limited. The serial number seems to check out as '61

Entwistle 'could of played' my Westfield, but Elvis was possibly using it at the time.

I don't believe either have, but 'could' of given the chance. 

This sort of smoke and mirrors boils my fosters, but auctions are very much buyer beware, retail not so, a very big difference when standing up in court. 

Ah right, thanks. I was expecting a spaghetti logo but my knowledge is very limited. The serial number seems to check out as '61

Well, you live and learn. It appears that the spaghetti logo was never used on the Jazz bass. This is from the Fender web site regarding the transition logo: -

"With input from Leo Fender himself, Perine perfected a new Fender logo, bolder and thicker, and with gold lettering bounded by a thin black outline. It was trademarked in 1960, and its first appearance on an instrument headstock came that year with the debut of the Jazz Bass guitar. Every new Fender model launched after that point would have the new logo, and by 1965 most Fender instruments and amplifiers used the new logo."

• Like 1

When you said that above I went to look at it again and thought, hey you're right, that's a transition logo. I then looked at Andy Baxter's site for comparisons. You would never find that style of logo on an early Strat or Tele, they would be spaghetti. So it seems the basses were different.

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Just checked and it looks pretty bad. Could be an additional pickup that has been badly filled in. 

I think it is simply a bad refin. There would be no earthly reason to have an extra pickup there.
It’s an interesting bass and the appointments look period correct, no reason to disbelieve the story, but the price is about double the value, in my opinion.

If it were originally a dark green colour, I can only think of sherwood green, which would make it a matter of considerable financial regret for the poor unfortunate who decided to repaint it. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, GuyR said:

I think it is simply a bad refin. There would be no earthly reason to have an extra pickup there.
It’s an interesting bass and the appointments look period correct, no reason to disbelieve the story, but the price is about double the value, in my opinion.

If it were originally a dark green colour, I can only think of sherwood green, which would make it a matter of considerable financial regret for the poor unfortunate who decided to repaint it. 

I’ve seen people do mad things to instruments.

For those who can’t access it, this is what we’re talking about… Given the even finish on the rest of the bass there’s obviously something going on here. Caveat emptor, etc.

D0698EB1-D7CA-48A3-886F-301D532D1BEA.jpeg

• Like 1