Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Look at this ebay auction. Anyone willing to part with £5k on the basis of those photos and that description needs some kind of intervention.

This is the epitome of bulls**t marketing to me. There are so many changes on this bass it's hard to know where to start and it's just described as "modernised".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186035467121?hash=item2b5093f371%3Ag%3A0ZwAAOSwXWJk2r~p&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwNsirSGU7dQLKPfWXlOdBo6sjkRJ%2FGy3syhG9AP3370nPviK34bOdEFuOkr8oFtFD1IsKGtcHSjx7j%2Bu65512JNzKv2Ay%2BowbLOCpcg%2BNv9pKzF1k7Tcnd3aHzovUwXnxSs6S2NOp5Ng0yNSMY1in1UnCT1n6MzjBo7qNso6nf86yaCe8IW6kTzPnDiU1YMl34bA24NpbVMqzCaNUQ1RyQewU3MXt9Q%2BLlIzjSLK41%2BAEmT%2BZx9R7br6Wpq%2FDZiymQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4izsK3BYg&LH_ItemCondition=4

Edited by ossyrocks

56 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Look at this ebay auction. Anyone willing to part with £5k on the basis of those photos and that description needs some kind of intervention.

This is the epitome of bulls**t marketing to me. There are so many changes on this bass it's hard to know where to start and it's just described as "modernised".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186035467121?hash=item2b5093f371%3Ag%3A0ZwAAOSwXWJk2r~p&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwNsirSGU7dQLKPfWXlOdBo6sjkRJ%2FGy3syhG9AP3370nPviK34bOdEFuOkr8oFtFD1IsKGtcHSjx7j%2Bu65512JNzKv2Ay%2BowbLOCpcg%2BNv9pKzF1k7Tcnd3aHzovUwXnxSs6S2NOp5Ng0yNSMY1in1UnCT1n6MzjBo7qNso6nf86yaCe8IW6kTzPnDiU1YMl34bA24NpbVMqzCaNUQ1RyQewU3MXt9Q%2BLlIzjSLK41%2BAEmT%2BZx9R7br6Wpq%2FDZiymQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4izsK3BYg&LH_ItemCondition=4

That seller is a studio that appears to run a sideline business listing its instruments on Ebay for high prices. Take a look at its other items on Ebay.

8 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I wouldn’t buy a vintage bass from anyone other than Andy Baxter now that the prices are so high. But I got offered a ‘77 P bass for £500 around 5 or 6 years ago. Too good to be true? Well I thought even if the pickups aren’t original the other parts would be worth more than the price, so I went to see it. Well, the only thing that was original was the neck and body. The body weighed a tonne and the neck was covered in dings and miles from being straight. There wasn’t any foam under the pickups so they were so slammed they were barely producing any sound. If that bass had been on eBay like this one some unlucky sod would have taken a chance. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

That seller is a studio that appears to run a sideline business listing its instruments on Ebay for high prices. Take a look at its other items on Ebay.

Ahh, I see now. It's the seller that's delusional and needs an intervention. I only looked at the first few listings (there are many) and got to the Made In Korea Epiphone Korina Flying V for £1399. I had one of those in mint condition a few years ago and sold it for £200.

On 11/08/2023 at 10:44, Pow_22 said:

I keep toying with the idea of just selling everything gear wise and retiring to a nice vintage bass, a B15 and just noodle away pressure free at home.  This is the current ''this is the one'' bass

https://reverb.com/uk/item/72076949-fender-jazz-bass-1974

The same bass. Are you bidding? Ends today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-1974-Jazz-Bass/266371200445?pageci=41b94577-1f91-4b84-ac73-82fd12de4b76&redirect=mobile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

If it was closer to me I would have gone and had a look, looks like it’s near Liverpool , might be a good buy for someone 

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Sold for £2608. Quite a chunk of cash for a '74 with the wrong guard and changed pots, but probably about right today. For perspective, that's more money than I paid for my all original '73 Precision from a well known high end dealer...................last year.

Rob

3 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Sold for £2608. Quite a chunk of cash for a '74 with the wrong guard and changed pots, but probably about right today. For perspective, that's more money than I paid for my all original '73 Precision from a well known high end dealer...................last year.

Rob

Wow really? 

I was in wunjo guitars in Denmark street yesterday trying a 78 p bass which was £3495. 

loved it, played like a finger funk machine 😍. Didn’t like that the Tone control never stopped either side. The price was another put off also 

8 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Wow really? 

I was in wunjo guitars in Denmark street yesterday trying a 78 p bass which was £3495. 

loved it, played like a finger funk machine 😍. Didn’t like that the Tone control never stopped either side. The price was another put off also 

I agree with Tony @Reggaebass, that's too much for a '78. Perhaps more justified if it was mint, custom colour and original case. I have a '78/79 P bass too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I agree with Tony @Reggaebass, that's too much for a '78. Perhaps more justified if it was mint, custom colour and original case. I have a '78/79 P bass too.

I agree with both of your. 

This is the exact combo I’m after but I refuse to spend that kind of money tbh. It is funny how the 70’s pbass neck profile feels so at home compared to the early 60’s. 

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on the provenance and if you’re a fan of the band or previous owner, about 2 years ago I tried to buy this one but it was about £1000 overpriced because it had been used in the studio by K.K Downing of Judas Priest, I hadn’t really heard of him myself but the shop would not come down and it sold eventually 

IMG_0727.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I suppose it depends on the provenance and if you’re a fan of the band or previous owner, about 2 years ago I tried to buy this one but it was about £1000 overpriced because it had been used in the studio by K.K Downing of Judas Priest, I hadn’t really heard of him myself but the shop would not come down and it sold eventually 

IMG_0727.jpeg

Very true. If it was paul Jackson’s ex bass it would be already be in my house taking the spare room lol. 

The one you was after is a 72 also. Which site is this from? 

1 minute ago, soulstar89 said:

Very true. If it was paul Jackson’s ex bass it would be already be in my house taking the spare room lol. 

The one you was after is a 72 also. Which site is this from? 

It was a shop called Folkies music in Kilburn 

I sold a black / black / maple 1977 Jazz bass in 2012 for £1495. It looked really beaten up, had a lot of dings in the finish, a replacement Leo Quan bridge and it weighed a ton. But it sounded divine.

An old bandmate sold a ‘78 sunburst + maple Jazz in 2018 for £2000. Again, that one was a bit scruffy and weighed a ton but it was all original and sounded and played brilliant. That one sold on the same day he offered it for sale. 

I guess it comes down to what the individual buyer is prepared to pay for the bass, if it’s the right one for them?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Not sure this is the case...?

Obviously something is worth whatever you can get people to pay, but a decade ago these were the prices of 60s basses - I guess that is we have moved on a decade later, and there are a lot more year of birth basses in the 70s now then the 60s, and 60s have gone into wall hanger territory. 

There was a 76 jazz bass round the corner from me the other day for 2k, looked in good condition, but with the london shops and reverb pushing much higher prices for 70s basses, it sort of normalises it.

I guess my real problem with the 70s fender jazzes etc is that it is hard to get round the common knowledge of when I was starting that you didn't touch a 70s fender unless it was cheap (and they were very cheap)