Why become a member? ×

I found a used string in a pack...

chris7273

Hello

it seems unbelievable. I bought a set of a 45-105 double ball end strings from a well known brand. I placed them yesterday and the D string Looked different : upon close inspection,  the ball end is made of brass instead of chromed metal, the wire is darker and, tadam, there are wear marks at frets intervals ... 

incredible... 

I have contacted the online shop and I am waiting for an answer. I wonder how they will handle this case. My word against their word... 

i don’t give the details before having received their position. 

Did it happened to one of you ? It seems so impossible 🙂

1 hour ago, chris7273 said:

Hello

it seems unbelievable. I bought a set of a 45-105 double ball end strings from a well known brand. I placed them yesterday and the D string Looked different : upon close inspection,  the ball end is made of brass instead of chromed metal, the wire is darker and, tadam, there are wear marks at frets intervals ... 

incredible... 

I have contacted the online shop and I am waiting for an answer. I wonder how they will handle this case. My word against their word... 

i don’t give the details before having received their position. 

Did it happened to one of you ? It seems so impossible 🙂

Does the end of the string should look like it was wrapped around a tuner? It should if it is a used string.

21 minutes ago, gjones said:

Does the end of the string should look like it was wrapped around a tuner? It should if it is a used string.

Ye, as well all know if we've tried to carry used strings are spares, they are a nightmare to get flats because the headstock ends spiral. There'd have to be pretty poor manufacturing QC to not notice that!  

indeed : double ball ends. 

Sorry Andy, my English is quite basic and scholar. I don’t get it... maybe a private joke? Please educate me 🙂

the seller is going to send me a correct string... I will update when I have news. 

Just now, chris7273 said:

indeed : double ball ends. 

Sorry Andy, my English is quite basic and scholar. I don’t get it... maybe a private joke? Please educate me 🙂

the seller is going to send me a correct string... I will update when I have news. 

I’m just being childish, don’t worry - it makes very little or no sense with English as a first language 😂😉

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some news :

The string factory will send me a replacement pack but unfortunately their double ball end string machine broke down and the production is stopped for a few weeks... GREAT....

No explanation given on how it's possible to include a used string in a pack... 

Edited by chris7273

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2020 at 09:30, chris7273 said:

No explanation given on how it's possible to include a used string in a pack... 

Devils advocate - may not be them at fault. Could be a dishonest buyer buying them, carefully packing their old strings back in the packet, resealing the packet (as most string packets are resealable in my experience) and returning them to the shop for 'bought the wrong gauge / brand / etc'. A lot of shops are run by honest folk who'd never suspect that kind of behaviour, so wouldn't check.

A guitarist i was once in a band with had a major cash crisis once and sold his AC30 in a second hand music shop. The owner never tested it so didn't notice that our man had removed both the nice Vox drivers and replaced them with the equivalent weight in house bricks, stuck to the bottom of the cabinet with No More Nails. He pawned the speakers separately in a different shop down the road.

Edited by de003
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, de003 said:

Could be a dishonest buyer buying them, carefully packing their old strings back in the packet, resealing the packet (as most string packets are resealable in my experience) and returning them to the shop for 'bought the wrong gauge / brand / etc'. A lot of shops are run by honest folk who'd never suspect that kind of behaviour, so wouldn't check.

That's the most likely explanation

On 13/08/2020 at 15:34, chris7273 said:

That’s sad... 

I bought a light from Homebase, it didn't work had clearly been opened and returned - and I took it back for a replacement. They gave me another that had also clearly been bought and opened previously and didn't work either, so I took that one back. At which point the guy tried to replace it with the one I'd bought back the first time :) 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

End of story : I got my money back as the supllier can't provide me another set...

I have checked the original packaging : it looks original and never opened... AsI used a knife to open the packaging, the original seal (enveloppe style) is still there and it seems "untouched"...

I won't bash the vendor or the brand here as I got my money back (I would have for sure have prefered the strings I wanted...)...

Edited by chris7273

On 13/08/2020 at 03:16, de003 said:

A guitarist i was once in a band with had a major cash crisis once and sold his AC30 in a second hand music shop. The owner never tested it so didn't notice that our man had removed both the nice Vox drivers and replaced them with the equivalent weight in house bricks, stuck to the bottom of the cabinet with No More Nails. He pawned the speakers separately in a different shop down the road.

Cheeky sod!  (I spent a few years making AC30s) 😎 a while ago 😀