Okay, so I didn't expect to find one of these so soon but thanks to @gareth it's New Vintage Squier Bullet Bass Day!

I used to have a USA Fender Bullet Bass Deluxe which, although a bit niche, was a great bass to play and was on some great records. When I had to sell it I was gutted, but on this forum I managed to score a MIJ Squier Bullet Bass. Which is even more niche, but I'm into the niche gear.

So this little oddball beauty arrived this afternoon. I tore into the package and unwrapped it, and... it's blowing me away! I'm fully aware that most folks wouldn't have these on their radar because why would they? Who's gonna get excited by the combination of a cut-down Precision body with Mustang pickups and a fat AF Tele bass neck? Well, me. Yeah, I'm that weirdo :) 

First impressions: much lighter than my old USA Bullet bass but still feels super solid. The neck is a dead ringer for the USA Bullet neck and feels the same as my old one. Win! 👍  The tug bar is on the wrong side of the strings for me 'cause I pluck with the side of my thumb, but that's an easy move. Overall, I'm getting a great vibe off this already.

Straight away I had to take off the roundwound strings and get some flats on there. Thought I'd experiment with a set of Fender 45-100 flats, they only cost me £14 so why not? Seemingly within a few minutes the stiffer string tension and higher action that I'm used to was there. Plugged it into the only amp I have (1970s Fender Vibro Champ) and started playing some Afrobeat and dub basslines. Lost a couple of hours, easy. Bonded with it instantly. Properly enjoyed meself. I'm looking forward to recording with it and eventually gigging it. Absolutely chuffed with it.

So, big thanks to Gareth for hooking me up with this one, I flipping love it. Great bass + nice price + pro packaging + hassle free delivery = happy Meterman. Cheers Gareth 🙏

image00001.thumb.jpeg.aef894f749419b21c19839ce9d24e998.jpeg

image00002.thumb.jpeg.adc472195c2ea65fcb40b401f3fbe635.jpeg

image00005.thumb.jpeg.be6415439fcd32bf3d728e596df64fa8.jpeg

image00004.thumb.jpeg.d347f146d5788da46db147f43d6620d5.jpeg

image00003.thumb.jpeg.78977f9270ad5b04f619f961bc5da70c.jpeg

• Like 12

That is a very neat/sleek looking instrument.  Me likely.  I wonder what it would look like with a black scratchplate?!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

That is a very neat/sleek looking instrument.  Me likely.  I wonder what it would look like with a black scratchplate?!

Great minds, etc! 😎 I'm going to get one made, so when I've got it I'll share a pic or two.

I'll need to get some black Mustang pickup covers as well...

• Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 10:13, meterman said:

Great minds, etc! 😎 I'm going to get one made, so when I've got it I'll share a pic or two.

I'll need to get some black Mustang pickup covers as well...

Got the black plate yet?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Got the black plate yet?

Sorry Pea, no :(

I've had no income for 5 months, no benefits, nothing at all. I just haven't been able to fritter £30 + P&P away on a replacement plate. I will do though, and I'll spam this thread with pics when I do, I promise 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Edited by meterman
double post double post
  • Like 1

Just now, meterman said:

Thanks man, I realise it's only a humble Squier but to me it's the absolute business.

I wish I could have found a blonde one like my original Fender Bullet (see pic), and the tug bar needs moving underneath the G, but otherwise I'm loving it. I've recorded a bit with it during lockdown and I heard today that it'll be on vinyl in a couple of months. Proof that it doesn't always have to be fancy gear to do the job. 

I would have loved a blonde one again tho!

IMG_0094.jpeg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Slug Ice
      1 set of Duncan Designed Jazz Bass Pickups from a very early Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. 
      £25 Inc. UK postage. 

• By yourfurryfiend
      In very good condition, plays well. I find the pickups a little hot, in a good way.
      I prefer P/PJ basses so this doesn't get that much play, mostly sitting pretty on the wall hanger.
      Comes with a Fender Deluxe gig bag which the shop very kindly gave me, even though it should have been for a Mexican Fender (Wunjo, Denmark Street I believe).
      The bag is generally in a good condition.
      Will courier at buyer's expense.
      Body
          Body Material: Soft Maple
          Body Finish: Polyurethane
          Body Shape: Jazz Bass
      Neck
          Neck Material: Maple
          Neck Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss
          Neck Shape: "C" Shape
          Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
          Fingerboard: Maple
          Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
          Number of Frets: 20
          Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
          String Nut: Synthetic Bone
          Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)
          Position Inlays: Block

• By sunfish
      Here is my lovely Fender Japan FSR 62 Walnut Jazz bass. £850
      This is a stunning bass to play. Very punchy sound, with more kick than my USA jazz.
      The neck is a slim “C” shape with a rosewood fingerboard and exceptionally smooth and easy to play.
      Weight is 8.9lbs
      My drummer will be upset this is up for sale as the walnut finish matches his favourite snare drum!
      The walnut finish is lovely and very tricky to photograph. The machine heads and bridge are a smokey black which matches the walnut finish superbly.
      There is a small ding on the back of the headstock which is difficult to show. 
      it's difficult let go of this one go.
      Can meet up half way, within reason - not sure if we're allowed yet. Otherwise I will post it in the UK for £60 insured.

• By Zummerbass
      Bought from Basschatter Marc S in Nov 2017. PJ mods, Entwhistle p/ups done under his ownership ( Dave Dearnley iirc). The work has been done to a very high standard. I’ve barely played it and gigged it twice.Playing my Jazz bass almost exclusively now but even so I think I may regret letting this one go. Excellent condition just a couple of minor scratches on rear of body. Usual Classic Vibe build quality,one of the darkest rosewood boards i’ve ever seen. Weight- just a smidge over 9lb/4kg. I’ll include the gig bag it came with. Collection preferred (i’m not far from M5  junction 26)but could do a meet up. 

• By Sharkfinger
      Up for sale is my superb gigging PJ bass. I painstakingly built this up over a few years, trying out different combinations of bodies and pickups, centred around that superb Warmoth neck.
      Times they are a changin' and I’d like something shorter to practice with in my very small home office.
      This was superbly set up by Chris Ward of Bass Centre fame.  I even had him dress the fret ends.  It plays like an absolute dream and currently has an old set of GHS Pressurewounds that kinda sound like flats now.
      Will be sad to see it go.
      Here are the Specs:
      Neck: Warmoth USA
      Style:    Tele® Bass     Construction:    Super Bass Construction Scale:    34"     Orientation:    Right Handed     Neck Wood:    Roasted Maple Fingerboard Wood:    Indian Rosewood     Nut Width:    1-11/16"     Back Shape:    Slim Taper (about 21mm front-to-back at  nut) Stiffening Rods:    Graphite Rods  Fret Size:    6105     Tuner Ream:    Hipshot Ultra Lite (14mm)  Radius:    Straight 10"     Fret #:    21     Mounting Holes:    Standard 4 Bolt     Inlays:    Cream Face Dots     Side Dots:    White Side Dots     String Nut:    GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut  Finish: Tru-Oil (Gunstock Oil) finish (did this myself) Hipshot USA Ultralite Tuners Hipshot USA Ultralite Bass Xtender Hipshot String Retainer Body: Squier Affinity
      Original pickguard and bridge Copper shielding in pickup routes Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Pickup at neck Dimarzio UltraJazz (Split coil) at bridge.  Currently wired in series for high output, but you could put a toggle on the scratchplate for parallel. Kiogon wiring loom, with selector, vol, vol, tone. Weight of this bass is a very reasonable 3.75Kg.  There are a few minor scratches and a couple of dings here and there but nothing that jumps out.  Hit me up if you want close up pics of anything.
      Trade wise, I'm looking for a medium or short scale that's very light weight.  3.5Kg absolute maximum and preferably lighter. 
      Price is a firm £525 £450 plus delivery.  EDIT: That is the one and only price drop before being parted out.
      I estimate that insured, that will come out £40-50.  If you're local, you are welcome to look and try in a safe, socially distanced way, which probably means outside or in the garage.
      If this doesn't sell, I'd look to part it out but let's face it, no one wants that hassle and I've got at least 1 box I can use.  It would be such a shame to break this up, as it feels like these were meant to be together.
      Optionally, I can include the superb Mono M80 Case.  We'd have to work out a price for that.