Why become a member? ×

Does A Covers Band Need A Demo?

cytania

My new band is now rehearsing and I'm looking at what's beyond the first gig. We're playing covers; Killers, Raconteurs, Jam, Beatles, Lizzy that sort of thing. Should we bother with a demo CD to give to pub landlords or just a fancy flyer with picture and a list of the covers we play?

If a demo is a big must-have then do they expect CD or old-fashioned cassette?

I can sort of see why acts pick justone band to do as a tribute act. It gives people a clear idea of what to expect.

Where's my afro wig?

Just going through this now with my band.

I think a very definite YES. You have to provide something to a prospective venue - myspace link, CD or something that demos your skills/sounds.

If I had a venue I wouldn't book anyone without a demo (or if I hadn't seen them play).

I'd start with a paper pack and go and see them in person. Phone up and book a meeting with the promoter or the place, take paper info with good photos, a list of covers like you've posted here, your Myspace or web space url and phone numbers and email address, and then ask for a date. Be realistic and don't tell them it's your first or second gig either "We can add a few gigs to our normal schedule" Get a firm date and have an answer to the "What's your fee?" question. The answer will depend on the venue and type of gig. Ask on here for guidance but don't under charge unless everyone understands that's a one off trial and next time it will be full fee.

Demos can be great as a record of your playing to impress/annoy/embarrass your kids with :) but it may just end up on the pile in the corner of a gig booker's office so I'd not do that yet. You will probably make a better recording once you've been gigging together as a band for a while and if you do a decent one you can sell them at gigs.

As you have a first gig lined up you can use it to create a lot of effective publicity stuff. A YouTube style short film is easy to do and says a lot more about how good you are on stage than a demo CD.

At your gig make sure you have good stage lighting. Then get a few friends along with normal cameras that can take Video (most can), full batteries and empty SD cards :rolleyes:

Agree with everyone that they will film one number (your best one, preferably) and then set up one person to film the whole tune with a camera where they can see the whole band (the "wide shot"). Ask the other two or three to film shorter clips of the singer and lead instruments (during solos) and for a verse at a time, the whole solo etc. Also get some crowd shots of them dancing. (these are the "angle shots" and "cutaways") Then using the free programme Microsoft Movie Maker you can make a very good film of your playing that one tune with cut away shots, different angles etc.
It's not hard and will be very effective.
Here's one for Rich's band. It was done with pro gear, a desk recording and pro editing tools but with the stuff I mentioned above you could make a similar thing.

Also get your friends to take loads of pictures (without flash) of you playing and these live shots and a YouTube can form the basis of your future marketing.

If you can get one gig and you are good, ask for another straight away on the night and get a date even if it's months away.

Also get a copy of gig-getter the book on how to get loads of pub gigs.
[url="http://www.gig-getter.co.uk/indextest.htm"]http://www.gig-getter.co.uk/indextest.htm[/url]

A big +1 to the above.

Also be aware that the [b]absence[/b] of a demo CD is a very rapid way for the venue manager to get you [b]off [/b]the phone.

If all your ducks are firmly in a row [b]before[/b] you make contact, it makes it much more difficult for them to come up with an "objection" to booking you. :)

[quote name='cytania' post='429289' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:54 PM']My new band is now rehearsing and I'm looking at what's beyond the first gig. We're playing covers; Killers, Raconteurs, Jam, Beatles, Lizzy that sort of thing. Should we bother with a demo CD to give to pub landlords or just a fancy flyer with picture and a list of the covers we play?

If a demo is a big must-have then do they expect CD or old-fashioned cassette?

I can sort of see why acts pick justone band to do as a tribute act. It gives people a clear idea of what to expect.

Where's my afro wig?[/quote]

Either a cd or some tracks on your website/myspace, or both. Tape is long dead. The main hassle is doing the recording, of course. You can get good enough recordings quite cheaply with a bit of shopping around. You will also need a reasonably professional flyer with some basic information including set list, some photos and contact information (where you can actually be contacted). Don't forget to mention if you have PA and lighting etc.. Remember, the venue wants to know if you will fit, will his punters like you and wants to get some sort of impression that you will actually turn up. All this helps.

Edited by thepurpleblob

Yes if you expect a lot of work from Agents rather than doing it all yourself. No idea about pubs.

We are on a few agents books and they all needed demos before giving us any work.

The wedding agents also need something to give out to their clients and dont normally like to give out contact details/websites etc of the band incase the clients book the bands direct.

All IME of course.

Ironic really, as most bands' studio demos bear little if any resemblance to what the band is actually capable of delivering "live". :D

Hence, I'm quite a believer in live audio demos and reasonably good quality YouTube vidoe clips of live performance.

Potentially, very dangerous to raise the bar of expectation [b]too[/b][i][/i] high eh? :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='429510' date='Mar 9 2009, 04:24 PM']Ironic really, as most bands' studio demos bear little if any resemblance to what the band is actually capable of delivering "live". :D

Hence, I'm quite a believer in live audio demos and reasonably good quality YouTube vidoe clips of live performance.

Potentially, very dangerous to raise the bar of expectation [b]too[/b][i][/i] high eh? :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Actually we are better live than our old demo but i take your point.

I know a band that are very busy doing weddings every weekend and their latest demo was just a few backing tracks they got on line, over dubbed with a bit of live guitar and vocals. Nice and cheap but not strictly honest.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='429517' date='Mar 9 2009, 04:32 PM']Actually we are better live than our old demo but i take your point.

I know a band that are very busy doing weddings every weekend and their latest demo was just a few backing tracks they got on line, over dubbed with a bit of live guitar and vocals. Nice and cheap but not strictly honest.[/quote]

I take [b]your[/b] point too. :rolleyes:

Demos consisting of commercially obtained backing tracks overdubbed with live vocal/guitar is pretty shameful IMHO, but if it gets them the work and the bookers are stupid enough to believe that's what they'll get live, I don't suppose you can argue against it's efficiency.

More than a little deceptive though - unless the only live aspect of their show [b]IS[/b] the vocal and guitar, in which case ignore all of the above.!!

Kidology reigns supreme eh? :D :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='429553' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:11 PM']I know of a Free tribute band who gave out excerpts of "Free Live" as their demo. They never had any trouble getting gigs... (just make sure your promoter isn't a Free nut)[/quote]

Blimey!! :)

Talk about "The Magic of Thinking Big" eh? :rolleyes: ;)

Or should that be "Mr Big"? :D

A think a video would be more applicable. They're not your songs so you don't need to sell them - you need to sell the image and professionalism of the band. A good professional website with some good videos would be better than a "demo" CD. Just my opinion, and I'm not even in a covers band :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='429721' date='Mar 9 2009, 07:48 PM']A think a video would be more applicable. They're not your songs so you don't need to sell them - you need to sell the image and professionalism of the band. A good professional website with some good videos would be better than a "demo" CD. Just my opinion, and I'm not even in a covers band :D[/quote]

It amazes me the numers of venues who insist on a DVD and [b]refuse [/b]to contemplate looking at anything online. :)

Again, I think it is another very convenient hurdle for them to put in your way of getting a gig.

Seems also that the better the venue, the more likely it is to happen. Logical, I suppose, as the top venues have band queueing up to play there. ;) :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='429734' date='Mar 9 2009, 07:55 PM']It amazes me the numers of venues who insist on a DVD and [b]refuse [/b]to contemplate looking at anything online. :)

Again, I think it is another very convenient hurdle for them to put in your way of getting a gig.

Seems also that the better the venue, the more likely it is to happen. Logical, I suppose, as the top venues have band queueing up to play there. :D :rolleyes:[/quote]

If you’ve got reasonably good quality videos then it’ll take 10 minutes to put them on DVD. Pain in the arse though if you don’t have the knowhow or facilities to do so…

We recorded our demo live in a studio. ie the engineer set up all the mikes and recorded us playing for an hour or so. Then took the recording and mixed it. In total we recorded and mixed around 12 songs in a day.

At the time it was a fair representation of what we sounded like and we do need to make a new recording. All a pub is going to be interested in is whether you can play as a band or not.

Old Git is right about going in to hustle for the gigs, don't waste time on the phone other than to find out when the best time to go and see someone is. Go in and get a date. A lot of pubs book 3 or 4 months in adavance. Most people are on the net and posting MP3s is cheaper and easier than taking a CD. A photo of the band with a web address that they can look at next time they are on-line is really all you need.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='429478' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:43 PM']Also be aware that the [b]absence[/b] of a demo CD is a very rapid way for the venue manager to get you [b]off [/b]the phone.

If all your ducks are firmly in a row [b]before[/b] you make contact, it makes it much more difficult for them to come up with an "objection" to booking you. :)[/quote]
+1 to that. You need to do a demo and have it on CD and online. Most pub landlords aren't that technical, so CD is best. Also CD will prob get listened to on a hi-fi, MySpace etc on crappy PC speakers.

Would advise finding a little studio and spending the money getting a 4-track demo recorded properly - esp the drums and the vocals.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='429553' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:11 PM']I know of a Free tribute band who gave out excerpts of "Free Live" as their demo. They never had any trouble getting gigs... (just make sure your promoter isn't a Free nut)[/quote]

Those guys must be taking the piss.

Our Free tribute act "Stealer" wouldn't dream of doing anything like that, you should have complete confidence in your musical ability as a band.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/stealer1"]Visit My Website[/url]

We always do our demo's as a live take with no overdubbing etc, it gives the promoter/venue an honest sample of what the band actually sounds like.

We are about to go into a studio for two days to record some newer tracks for our demo CD.

We find that the majority of venues/promoters do require a demo prior to booking.

Ive worked both sides of the business, and I would never book a band when I was booking them without a demo tape (or disc... ahem) as you could never be sure what they sounded like. Simple really. Well, unless they could guarantee at least 50 people who would turn up and drink like fish...

The other situation is of course if you (or others in your group) are well known in the town / area already. I would happily book bands who had "Got previous" in their ranks :)