Why become a member? ×

Song Recommendations for new Band

Marcus

Hi Guys,

i've been talked into doing a new project...... the group of lads are firmly against the classic rock stuff and the following bands have been proposed

Killers
Kings of Leon
Jet
Kaiser Chiefs
Franz Ferdinand
Stereophonics
Foo Fighters

I have to admin I don't really know the back catalogue of these bands too well......

I'm looking for recommendations of songs from these bands where the bass is interesting / prominent / integral to the song

I'm not really looking to just sit back and play ploddy 8th notes all night with a pick !!

I'm sure I won't be able to avoid playing whatever hits these guys have had, but could use some insight into their other songs too, I need to go along to our first get together with some ideas of what I want to play.....

Ofcourse i'm going to listen to their stuff myself but thought it might be an idea to get a quick roll call from my bass playing peers

Thanks Guys

ATB

Mark

Edited by Marcus

[quote name='Marcus' post='428655' date='Mar 8 2009, 04:11 PM']Hi Guys,

i've been talked into doing a new project...... the group of lads are firmly against the classic rock stuff and the following bands have been proposed

Killers
Kings of Leon
Jet
Kaiser Chiefs
Franz Ferdinand
Stereophonics
Foo Fighters

I have to admin I don't really know the back catalogue of these bands too well......

I'm looking for recommendations of songs from these bands where the bass is interesting / prominent / integral to the song

I'm not really looking to just sit back and play ploddy 8th notes all night with a pick !!

I'm sure I won't be able to avoid playing whatever hits these guys have had, but could use some insight into their other songs too, I need to go along to our first get together with some ideas of what I want to play.....

Ofcourse i'm going to listen to their stuff myself but tghought it might be an idea to get a quick roll call from my bass playing peers

Thanks Guys

ATB

Mark[/quote]
We do 'When you were Young' by the Killers which is great, but so are lots of their other tunes, especially the 'Are we human' single that was out recently..

Mr Brightside - The Killers. Great bass line.
Are you gonna be my girl? - Jet
Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
Everyday I love you less and less - Kaisers (I play the keyboard part on the bass, it's good fun)
Times like these - The Foo Fighters (thing is with them, is that there are quite a few songs with straight 8's)
I can't actually remember any Stereophonics tracks with a prominent bass line of the top of my head. I'm sure someone else will come along with some ideas though. :)

Pete

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Marcus' post='428697' date='Mar 8 2009, 05:00 PM']Thanks guys...... great stuff

Keep the suggestions coming

ATB

Mark[/quote]

we do

Dakota and local boy in the photograph by stereophonics, mr brightside killers, sex on fire kings of leon, all go down really well at any kind of gig

Killers: Mr Brightside (even though I cant stand the bloody band)

Kings of Leon: Sex on fire and The Bucket (The Bucket is damn boring but On call is a good one too)

Jet: Are you gonna be my girl (cant see past that one in a cover band and always goes down a storm)

Kaiser Chiefs: None. (I vetoed these jumped up nursery rhyme gits when I joined the band)

Franz Ferdinand: Ullysees (sp?) That or anything early (not a fan of the 2nd album)

Stereophonics: Local boy or Bartender and the thief (bartender is downtuned for guitar but I just play it normal tuning)

Foo Fighters: Times like these or Learn to fly (depending on your singer)

Would love to put some Foo's in our set but with a female vocalist it wouldnt really work :)

Kaiser's - Ruby is the one, never could get a grip on Riot...

Kings Of Leon - bass isn't a big thing for them. I've learnt Four Kicks, California Waiting and Use Somebody. Enjoy that last one most but I've no idea whether my band will go for any of them...

Killers - just spent the rainy part of today learning 'All These Things That I Have Done'. It's in F# but your guitarist may want to play it in G so they don't have to tune down or revamp any of the guitar lines they can see on YouTube.

Tabs have it up on fourth fret but watching the Killers bassist I reckon it's 9th fret. 5 notes cover the whole song but the feels range from balladesque (start and end) to pulsing eighths and what I call the 'kid creole' verse hits.

We do a whole bunch of this stuff.
Just get hold of the Killers first album for some interesting bass parts... to me the opening track 'Jenny was a friend of mine' is a great bass part and I never grow tired of that. There's even some harmonics in the middle eight for you! :)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='428776' date='Mar 8 2009, 06:53 PM']We do a whole bunch of this stuff.
Just get hold of the Killers first album for some interesting bass parts... to me the opening track 'Jenny was a friend of mine' is a great bass part and I never grow tired of that. There's even some harmonics in the middle eight for you! :)[/quote]

+1

thing with franz is that the parts are all quite simple and the 3 parts locking together is where it gets interesting.
KOL bass player does some fun things.

Also in the similar genera which may be fun
Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire
A certain romance - Arctic Monkeys
Whatever happend to my rock and roll -BRMC
Banquet - Bloc Party (great bass line)
So here we are - Bloc party
I will prossess your heart - Death Cab for Cutie
Evil- Interpol
Steady as she goes- the racontours
sleeping lessons - the shins (simple i guess but a fun song to bounce too)
Juice box- the strokes

i realise as i write that I have no idea actually what would be good.
You found the program "Spotify"? It lets you leagaly listen to prob most these bands. Look it up.

for [b]Kings of Leon[/b] i would recommend:

California Waiting
Four Kicks
Joe's Head (really fun bassline)
King of the Rodeo
Molly's Chambers
Red Morning Light
Slow Night, So Long (I love playing this btw - my wife hates it lol)
[b]
Arctic Mondays:[/b]

Mardi Bum
When The Sun Goes Down

[b]Queens Of The Stone Age:[/b]

3's and 7's
Little Sister
[b]
Sons and Daughters:[/b]

This Gift
Darling
Johnny Cash
[b]
The Von Bondies:[/b]

C'mon C'mon
Not That Social
[b]
The French Kicks:[/b]

Don't Thank Me

[b]Rilo Kiley:[/b]

Portions For Foxes

[b]The National:[/b]

Mistaken For Strangers

[b]
Longwave:[/b]

I Don't Dare

[b]Interpol:[/b]

PDA

[b]Remy Zero:[/b]

Impossibility

Anyway - I like these and learned most of em so they must be good! :)

Edited by agroupuk

The best Killers bass line has to be Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, surely!?!!!

There's quite a few interesting Kings Of Leon bass lines, I'm not a huge fan, but each album has 3 or 4 great songs on, so worth giving them all a listen and seeing what stands out for you.

Similar to a lot of our stuff - and some good new ideas on here.

Popular ones from our setlist, and similar sort of genre are:

Local Boy In The Photograph - Stereophonics
Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
Rocks - Primal Scream
Buck Rodgers - Feeder
Somebody Told Me - Killers
Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - Jet
Monster - The Automatic
Teenagers - My Chemical Romance
The Last Song - Foo Fighters
She Bangs The Drums - Stone Roses
Mr Brightside - Killers
Cigarettes And Alcohol - Oasis
I Predict A Riot - Kaisers
Burn Baby Burn - Ash
Banquet - Bloc Party
Plug In Baby - Muse

Edited by simon1964

You've got to include some Muse in this if you're looking for 'interesting' modern rock. It gives you an opportunity to try out some neat fx too. Hysteria... surely thats every coverband bass player's dream song?

Queens of the Stone Age... No One Knows, if you want to go a little heavier

Chelsea Dagger (Fratellis) is a great part too.