Why become a member? ×

Easier to get gigs?

Hector

Does anyone find it relatively easier to get gigs as a bass player compared to the plight of other instrumentalists?

Since arriving in oxford I've been recruited to 4 orchestras/ensembles, house band for a jazz jam, my own jazz standards band, performing in Grease, offered a place with a local funk/soul covers band, starting a post rock group, an acoustic/folky group and received countless offers to jam with various friends.

Not trying to brag, but just seems to be a really busy time workwise for me and was wondering if it was just luck or to do with playing upright and electric. I remember being told when I was just starting out that if I could play both that I'd be laughing, but this is pretty intense. Shame I'm supposed to be doing a degree at the same time!

So what do you guys think? Is it easier to get gigs as a bass player?

[quote]I bet drummers get a lot more offers.[/quote]

Finding one that can count & keep a steady tempo is a very very rare thing indeed.

Back on topic, since I moved to Perth I have had a few offers from different bands & have been tempted, but the missus wouldn't like me to join any more (they can be hard work sometimes). I've met countless guitards here too.

I've always found it to be quite easy to get gigs as I'm a fairly competant bass player, generally you find that guitarists are ten a penny but decent drummers and bass players are the hardest to find. I've also noticed that decent guitarists who actually have a theory background and don't just wiggle their fingers over a few licks they spent the last 10 years learning are very difficult to find too. It's basically cos kids think that bass is for failed guitarists and parents won't let their kids have a drum kit because of the noise so they learn guitar cos it's "cool" and never bother to learn how to actually play the instrument compentantly. Years later they've gotten really good at a handful of riffs they learned in their bedroom or a garage band and have all but lost the ability to try anything new. I've been working for a company called the Rock Project recently which aims to get kids into playing instruments instead of kicking round the streets and causing trouble. It's hard to break the mindset that bass is boring and is a "lesser" instrument but the thing that usually sells it is when you tell them "if you want to be in a band and get offered loads of gigs, learn how to play bass!"

I also massively agree with Warwickhunt about learning keys. I'm not a very good piano player by anyones standard but I know a few keys players and they are very very difficult to pin down as they are always gigging.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='425865' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:21 AM']THis is also true.

I had an audition recently with a covers band and they told me I was the 25th bassist they had auditioned.[/quote]
I'm presuming they were exaggerating slightly. :)

I'm in four bands now and I'm turning down offers all the time... because apparently, my missus would like to see me in the evenings and have coversations and stuff. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='426020' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:12 PM']I'm in four bands now and I'm turning down offers all the time... because apparently, my missus would like to see me in the evenings and have coversations and stuff. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Selfish cow! :)

I have NO doubt that I could triple the number of gigs I have if I played double bass but its too late for me. If any of you are thinking of turning pro, the double bass is the way to go. If you can nail it and play good time, you will work. Electric bass still gets a bad rap in jazz but I can't really complain as I am out as much as I probably can cope with with a day job and a dicky ticker. I also like other aspects of music (composition, recording etc) which accepting too many gigs can get in the way of. But, what I can say is that, as a bass player, I work as much as most of the people I know and a lot more than many of them.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='426020' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:12 PM']I'm presuming they were exaggerating slightly. :)

I'm in four bands now and I'm turning down offers all the time... because apparently, my missus would like to see me in the evenings and have coversations and stuff. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've got no reason to believe they were, although the process would have happened over several months. THe guy they settled on was the best player they tried but after a couple of months started turning up with a sixer and doing noodlie stuff and critisising the drummer so they started looking for a new bassist, which was when I met them.

They're a female fronted indie/rock band with a full diary for a year in advance doing interesting and fun to play material. THey could pretty much take their pick of available musicians.

I've been to auditions where I was one of 4 or 5 auditionees. There's a lot of bass players around although they are not necesarily any good.

[quote name='Hector' post='425574' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:07 PM']Does anyone find it relatively easier to get gigs as a bass player compared to the plight of other instrumentalists?

Since arriving in oxford I've been recruited to 4 orchestras/ensembles, house band for a jazz jam, my own jazz standards band, performing in Grease, offered a place with a local funk/soul covers band, starting a post rock group, an acoustic/folky group and received countless offers to jam with various friends.

Not trying to brag, but just seems to be a really busy time workwise for me and was wondering if it was just luck or to do with playing upright and electric. I remember being told when I was just starting out that if I could play both that I'd be laughing, but this is pretty intense. Shame I'm supposed to be doing a degree at the same time!

So what do you guys think? Is it easier to get gigs as a bass player?[/quote]
It might be if i was a bit more flexible, but i'm struggling to get much right now. I've had a few offers etc but people tend to be unreliable, and it's SOO hard to find a decent drummer. I've not played live since halloween.... oh well. That said, i do have a session job some time next week, mint :)

Still enjoying the jazz mate?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='The Funk' post='426859' date='Mar 6 2009, 02:13 AM']I got a call to come down to a blues jam tonight. Went down there. Got offered the house bassist job as I was leaving. It's not because I'm good - it's because there were no other bassists there.

Yes, it's real easy to get gigs as a bassist.[/quote]

I am get lots of offers at my school, have just done the Wiz. Learned the whole lot in two weeks.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='426932' date='Mar 6 2009, 09:24 AM']I am get lots of offers at my school, have just done the Wiz. Learned the whole lot in two weeks.[/quote]

The Wiz is a demanding show for a bass player! Anthony Jackson played bass for most of Quincy Jones's Wiz sessions, and I think Louis Johnson did the rest.