Why become a member? ×

The Police

The Funk

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='426449' date='Mar 5 2009, 05:01 PM']Excuse my ignorance but I've not really heard of this Colaiuta chappy but if that's a good example of his playing style then I can't see why you rate him over Copeland. They actually sound pretty similar to me. :)

Copeland is not a steady 4's (or even a reggae rules 1-2-[u]3[/u]-4) kind of guy. I've heard bands over the years covering The Police and not one of them has ever nailed Copeland's tricky little fills or syncopations correctly - even if they've managed to lock into his signature.[/quote]

It's cool. Vinnie is one of the most sought after drummers probably of all time, and he's been very widely recorded as a session musician. I don't necessarily rate him over Copeland (two different players I think) but I do prefer his drumming... to my ears he's tighter, more adept and generally more enjoyable to listen to. Like I say, all preference in this case.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='426469' date='Mar 5 2009, 05:14 PM']It's cool. Vinnie is one of the most sought after drummers probably of all time, and he's been very widely recorded as a session musician. I don't necessarily rate him over Copeland (two different players I think) but I do prefer his drumming... to my ears he's tighter, more adept and generally more enjoyable to listen to. Like I say, all preference in this case.[/quote]
I'll definitely be keeping an ear out for him from now on. :)

I love Copeland's drumming, I think he's fantastic. Synchronicity is a superb showcase of his skill behind a kit. If you're interested though, this is what Steve Vai said about Vinnie Colaiuta during a Frank Zappa recording:

[quote]He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there. Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar. It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing.[/quote]

Edited by liamcapleton

[quote name='The Funk' post='426427' date='Mar 5 2009, 04:50 PM']I'd go further and say they created their own trademark sound as a rhythm section - and if anyone tries to do anything along those lines, their influence is clear for everyone to hear.

They're one of the great rhythm sections because they gave us one of the classic rhythm section styles.[/quote]

+1.

I think they're fab; one of my favourite ever sections. Have to add I'm not really a groove guy (unless you're talking Bernard Edwards or Stu Z); I prefer a rhythmic tension (Sting/Copeland, Bruford/Squire, McVie/Fleetwood etc). They're also one of my favourite ever pop bands; not quite up there with ABBA but ahead of most others.

[quote name='The Funk' post='426463' date='Mar 5 2009, 05:09 PM']Colaiuta is definitely Copeland-influenced and is a fantastic drummer, much more technically competent but lacking some of Copeland's exuberance.[/quote]

Which is exactly why I prefer Copeland, because of his "exuberance".

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='426416' date='Mar 5 2009, 04:44 PM']Copeland's great... but hard to hold a flame to Vinnie Colaiuta playing on Sting's solo stuff... check it out: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RbOFm8W5Wk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RbOFm8W5Wk[/url][/quote]
Wow! That is just stunning. Never heard it before. Thanks for that.

Put in context (1977), The Police were really quite fresh and original. The fact that the songs and the sound were commercial doesn't take away from how they stood out in comparison to their contemporaries back then. Moving the guitar back a bit to give more room for creative drumming and bass wasn't that common, at least for a 'pop' group.

Having said that, the songs and image stand out more than the playing imho - and they are pretty awful live, but that's hardly unique to them :)

[quote name='Col' post='425576' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:11 PM']Sting plays exactly "the right thing" on so many Police tracks. Can anyone imagine "Walking on the Moon" with a different bassline, or "The Beds too Big Without You" for instance?[/quote]

Walking on the moon no, but I'm a huge fan of Sheila Hilton's cover of Beds too big. They didn't change the bassline, just shifted the back beat a bit.

[quote name='4000' post='426577' date='Mar 5 2009, 07:03 PM']Which is exactly why I prefer Copeland, because of his "exuberance".[/quote]

Same here. I couldn't use the word flair because they both have it. Character might be a better word but it's not like Vinnie's playing is exactly character-less. So exuberance was the word I settled on.

I've always enjoyed what the Police and Sting (solo) have turned out, I think Copeland is a great drummer

Saw them in Manchester on their comeback tour, one of the worst gigs I've ever been too (and I've been to a lot!) even worse considering the ticket price! They were one of the few bands on my "always wanted to see" list. Probably worth adding, Stuart Copeland was the best part of seeing them live, Andy Summers was terrible, sound, timing, not good!

I will always listen to them though!

Tony

I think they are one of the greatest groups ever!
Plus the tension between them always added to it.

Sting="the problem with our records is people cant dance to them and thats down to our drummer"

Stewart = "BULLSHIT i've been carried on crowds shoulders around discos" !