Why become a member? ×

Dennis Dunnaway

andy67

heard alice cooper's elected whilst driving to work yesterday. (Rock Radio FM 96.3)

I am an Alice Cooper fan and was instantly (and natrually, retrospectively) in awe of how good Dennis Dunaway is! the man must surely be given legendary status - he can feckin play!

I had actually forgotten how god he is and how much he influenced my style of playing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawhWb8Uu5E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawhWb8Uu5E[/url]

enjoy...

andy

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='45401' date='Aug 14 2007, 07:34 PM']Brilliant and under rated - just listen to the Schools Out album.[/quote]
+1 to that!

DD was one of my earliest bass influences. He was also a major contributor to the Alice Cooper band's songwriting and as you say, the School's Out album is almost built around his bass lines!

Great to see him getting some recognition.. :)

Nik

One of my earliest influences, & still one of my favourite players. Great melodic sense, scarily precise right-hand (plectrum) technique, and those basslines - [i]Halo Of Flies, Billion $ Babies, Blue Turk, Gutter Cat[/i]... Genius. :)

Jon.

awrighty folks...

had an idea and mods - take note!

Over the last few months, possibly longer (previous forums) we have discussed many famous players, their individual talents, musical style and the influence they had on our playing styles; we (the mods) should provide a new sub category consisting of bass players who would/should be included in a ' hall of fame' of which, we could put forward a list monthly/bi monthly of our favourite bass players which would provide a voting opportunity for all members of this forum to register their vote with the winning player/s gaining access to the hall of fame granting them legendary status!

anyone second this?

comments please....

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='Bassassin' post='45516' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:28 PM']One of my earliest influences, & still one of my favourite players. Great melodic sense, scarily precise right-hand (plectrum) technique, and those basslines - [i]Halo Of Flies, Billion $ Babies, Blue Turk, Gutter Cat[/i]... Genius. :)

Jon.[/quote]
+1 again...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='45516' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:28 PM']One of my earliest influences, & still one of my favourite players. Great melodic sense, scarily precise right-hand (plectrum) technique, and those basslines - [i]Halo Of Flies, Billion $ Babies, Blue Turk, Gutter Cat[/i]... Genius. :)

Jon.[/quote]

+1 The bass tone on halo of flies is FAT , that is one big monster of a bass tone on that song and the way that he adds melodies to the song with his bass and that his bass is high in the mix is awesome

• 2 years later...

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='626431' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:36 PM']Gotta bump this old thread as Dennis Dunaway is the bomb! He was crucial to my early bass listening. AC's original band was awesome. DD had really good tone & some amazing groove going on

[/quote]
+1

He was also incredibly melodic too and in the AC band, the bass was really influential in a lot of songs..and that's what caught my attention most when I first started playing bass..i.e. that it was okay to be 'musical' as a bass player..

Long before I got into the nerdy bassplayer scene where the 'best' players are being praised and pointed out all the time I had been exposed to the basslines on school's out through my dad playing the album all the time.

The pisstake of West Side Story (Gutter Cats vs The Jets) is really fun to play; especially after recently playing a fully orchestrated production of the show its self.

Great, original bassplayer!

PS - if anyone feels like throwing themselves into a pit (no pun intended) of dispair in terms of sheet music and musical acrobatics then I can't highly enough recommend hunting down the music for West Side Story!

• 5 weeks later...

After owning Alice Coopers Killer and Billion Dollar Babies albums years ago, I've just bought them again on CD, I knew they were good albums but I'd forgot how good. Dennis is incredible, they are true workbooks on how to play rock bass. Spotify Under my Wheels and Halo of Flies to see what I mean.

[quote name='Johngh' post='653893' date='Nov 13 2009, 06:06 PM']After owning Alice Coopers Killer and Billion Dollar Babies albums years ago, I've just bought them again on CD, I knew they were good albums but I'd forgot how good. Dennis is incredible, they are true workbooks on how to play rock bass. Spotify Under my Wheels and Halo of Flies to see what I mean.[/quote]
+1