Why become a member? ×

EQ settings: separate for each pickup

Born 2B Mild

The Vigier, reviewed in the latest BGM, seems to have the ability to set the tone controls for each pup, then be able to blend both.

This seems such a perfect an idea for twin pickup active basses. Can this be found in other stock basses, or onboard pre-amps?

MY fortress has one double jazz pickup in the bridge position and has a preamp for each coil so you have a 2 band eq for each. Some might think that's overkill but it is so useful you can get a huge range of sounds from it. I plan on getting a bass with the same thing in the neck pick up so that would be 4 eq stacks but i think it would be the most flexible bass.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='422297' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:13 PM']Some passive Peaveys have a volume and tone knob for each pickup- not quite setting EQ but a similar idea?[/quote]

so do rickenbacker...

i think this is preferable since on a passive bass gives better control to the overall volume with each pup wired discreetly and not using the same cap

the standard fender jazz wiring defeats its own volume when using one pup just off vol and one on full with any increase in tone setting..
this will result in a drop in volume
so i have found in the past and use a pan pot for the pups...or dispense with the tone cut completely

adding bass to a neck pup is not always as necessary as adding to the bridge

independent shaping seems a better idea

for me one pup is enough

[quote name='mrcrow' post='422381' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:21 PM']so do rickenbacker...[/quote]
separate [b]amps[/b] per pick-up in stereo mode.... :) (Ovation Magnum 1 & 3 too)
Brilliant if you can be arsed to lug 2 rigs around!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='422438' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:24 PM']ACG 01 Pre-amp has a separate filter stack for each pickup.[/quote]
Cool! It gives me ideas for when I get round to ordering a custom bass.

Separate volume controls for each pickup is not unusual, but being able to adjust tone adjustments per pick up, before blending, just seems so right I can't think why it isn't more common!

Didn't the Warwick Pro M Streamer and Fortress Masterman basses havw separate EQ for each half of the "twinjazz" pick-up?

Played the S4 Arpege a couple of months ago.
Without guidance/instruction/longer to mess around, I couldn't squeeze what I wanted from it.
I could from the S3 Arpege, and I own an S3 Passion....