Why become a member? ×

Your Sound

mcgraham

I've noticed that a number of BC regulars are moving on their entire setup of late, some of them seemingly without much of a settling in period (subjective I know...) But if it doesn't have 'your sound', the sound you are seeking from your instrument, then it makes sense to move onto something else...

Which makes me wonder, what 'sound' is everyone after? We all have different tastes, and we all have different styles that we have different sounds for. But what is 'your sound', the ideal bass tone in your head.

My 'sound' is almost wholly an MTD gospel sound. Round full bass, warm and defined, but not too thick (ala Thumb) or too open (ala traditional jazz single coils); ever so slightly scooped low to middle midrange to give that smooth sheen to the sound (ala Ken Smith basses); tight zing and sizzle on the top end (ala MTD) rather than clank (ala Musicman), but not overdoing it. Think Marcus Miller fingerstyle with higher voiced sizzle and deeper sounding bass.

There are other tones I enjoy and use a lot, but when playing bass, that's the tone I love to hear. My W&T gets them all. My Berg rig has a very flat and even sound, with a slightly enhanced bottom end that is thicker than Neo cabs (which to me introduce a bit more 'air' into the sound). Essentially I'm getting the sound I want from my bass and my rig.

What about you? What are you striving after?

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

TBH when I work a sound out at home I then normally find it doesn't sit right with the band!
I have found that my Precision or Jazz bass into the Sadowsky pre amp/D.I. pedal seems to do the job perfectly into pretty much any amp that'll keep up with a loud drummer.

JTB

The trouble is, what you've described sounds different to everyone. Describing sound is so subjective.

When I try a new amp, I usually look for amps with 3 knobs. The one on the left (Bass) I put most of the way up. The one in the middle (the one that does nothing apart from increase the clattering noise when you play) either gets turned turned most of the way down or off completely. The one furthest right, I can't really remeber where that goes (I think somewhere between in the middle and all the way up).

In terms of basses, I won't go near anything with batteries of 5 strings. I don't like new strings either. I like what could be described as a dull thud. I would probably like flats but can't be bothered trying them.

I like to sound like by playing has been recorded on really old and dusty cheapo studio gear.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='419863' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:32 AM']My Berg rig has a very flat and even sound, with a slightly enhanced bottom end that is thicker than Neo cabs (which to me introduce a bit more 'air' into the sound).[/quote]

My neo cabs laugh hysterically at your skinny-ass sounding non-neo cabs! ;)

My sound(s)? I stopped trying to quantify them years ago but I certainly have no problem getting them. Give me almost any bass and I'll usually be able to find some of my tone in there. The key word for all of them is BIG! A word you probably wouldn't use is pretty.

Alex

[quote]The trouble is, what you've described sounds different to everyone. Describing sound is so subjective[/quote]

Which is exactly why I've listed some basses with very distinctive sounds so you can relate to the identifiable attributes, rather than totally subjective terms like 'warm', or 'thick'. I think that how I've described my sound is about as objective as you can get with sound.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='419875' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:45 AM']Which is exactly why I've listed some basses with very distinctive sounds so you can relate to the identifiable attributes, rather than totally subjective terms like 'warm', or 'thick'. I think that how I've described my sound is about as objective as you can get with sound.

Mark[/quote]

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean when you say MTD gospel sound. Marcus with more sizzle.

I love sizzle.

[quote]Yeah, I know exactly what you mean when you say MTD gospel sound. Marcus with more sizzle.

I love sizzle.[/quote]

I didn't say it [i]was [/i]objective, I said it was about as objective as you could get. If you take the time to listen to a clip of either an MTD or Marcus Miller, you will get in the ballpark.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

As usual with these things, it's entirely subjective to our individual ears & down to several factors as goes equipment.

1. The bass is a big thing... I love the sound of my Status through-necked instruments. There's a huge low end growl (from the graphite through neck & phelonic fingerboard) along with creamy tone (probably from the tone block) and serious top end. My sound is like the old smiley-face graphic setting. Loads of treble & bass, and mids in the middle. Very scooped sound, but cuts through the mix with no trouble at all.

2. The amp. I like to run a lot more treble than bass. I have my bass settings on about 2 o'clock & my treble full on. That means I get full use of the twin hf horn units I'm running on the MarkBass & a full, rich bass frequency as well.

3. Playing style - I can either play gently & get the full tonal experience or dig in for that hard, graphite twang.

Rich

Hard to describe using words but 'creamy' would probably be closest. I am actually at the point where I am pretty much there but its cost me a fortune to get there ;)

Jazz bass with played in rounds.
Berg Rig with EBS or Summit Audio Pre

BUT the biggest things I have done recently too improve my tone are a) raise the action and :P concentrate on better technique.

Raising the action to about 3-4mm at the 12th fret seems to really let the full tone come through. I previously had the action at about 2mm and thought that I liked all that 'sizzle'. Thinking about how each note is fretted and using tips of fingers etc also seems to help me sound better.

Steve

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='419912' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:26 AM']I don't like graphic eqs either. Can never get those right. All those bloody sliders. It's like those clowns who say to the sound man at a sh*tty music pub in South London "can you boost me at 37Hz?".

All you need is 2 knobs.[/quote]

A guitarist and a drummer?

I'd describe my tone as full, lush, deep, sharp, thick, thin, and probably creamy, a bit rhubarby, subtle chunks of tarmac and sycamore, a suggestion of summer mornings waiting for the bus to go swimming, hints of unspeakable acts bent over Biffa bins and a wry smile at a fondly-remembered tug job.

But I can get it out of any bass.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='419912' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:26 AM']I don't like graphic eqs either. Can never get those right. All those bloody sliders. It's like those clowns who say to the sound man at a sh*tty music pub in South London "can you boost me at 37Hz?".

All you need is 2 knobs.[/quote]

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='419927' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:45 AM']A guitarist and a drummer?[/quote]

Excellent, that deserves to be in the Favourite Quotes thread.