Why become a member? ×

bassists that can do no wrong

Golchen

Ok, so I've been hanging around on this forum for quite a while now, and one thing that has always surprised me is that some very 'big' names in bass playing seem to get a fairly hefty bashing from some quarters. Two that spring immediately to mind are Victor Wooten and Mark King, and I seen to recall having read negativity on Pastorius and Flea as well. Without wishing to start a feeding frenzy for those that seem to enjoy slating bassists, I thought that it would be good to focus on bassists that everyone loves, those that can do no wrong.

So a couple of nominations from me - Two bassists that I have yet to read a bad word on (I could have missed them of course!) are Pino Palladino and John Entwhistle.

Anyone else agree (or not!) with that?

Any other nominations?

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='417182' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:31 AM']I would agree with those suggestions. I love Pino's recent work with John Mayer. How about:

James Jamerson
Bernard Edwards
Paul McCartney

?[/quote]

All the players listed so far have been criticised at one time or another here with the possible exception of Jamerson. Oh, Duck Dunn, too. Good call, Wayne.

[quote name='Golchen' post='417167' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:23 AM']Ok, so I've been hanging around on this forum for quite a while now, and one thing that has always surprised me is that some very 'big' names in bass playing seem to get a fairly hefty bashing from some quarters. Two that spring immediately to mind are Victor Wooten and Mark King, and I seen to recall having read negativity on Pastorius and Flea as well. Without wishing to start a feeding frenzy for those that seem to enjoy slating bassists, I thought that it would be good to focus on bassists that everyone loves, those that can do no wrong...[/quote]

It's probably worth noting that many (most?) of us only put out our opinions on these people when directly asked to as part of question. A lot of the negative stuff is really just 'pub banter', nowt serious. Just because their music doesn't do anything for me doesn't mean that I've got anything at all against them personally.

I'd agree with everyone on this page so far on the players they've listed. Pino is amazing, and it goes without saying that Chuck Rainey is a genius. Same for Willie Weeks. But... I really like Guy Berryman from Coldplay, he can do no wrong in my eyes... say what you want about the band, but can you argue with his bass lines?

There's loads of bass players I love, I think the whole idea of people slagging off the likes of Flea or Pastorius is such a redundant argument, simply because it serves only to anger other people who like these sort of players. You can state stuff as fact but ultimately, it's only your opinion... IMO ;)

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='417431' date='Feb 23 2009, 02:07 PM']Never read anyone on here ever bag on Mani or Peter Hook. The occiasional 'not my cup of tea' but that's as far as anyone's gone.

I've definitely read criticisms of Enthwistle here.[/quote]

I saw a thread on here recently that had some very negative comments about Peter Hook.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='417392' date='Feb 23 2009, 01:33 PM']But... I really like Guy Berryman from Coldplay, he can do no wrong in my eyes... say what you want about the band, but can you argue with his bass lines?[/quote]

Having listened to a lot of Coldplay, none of the basslines stand out to me as amazing. Have I missed something???

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='417220' date='Feb 23 2009, 10:28 AM']Mr. Pratt loses a point or two for playing a Jazz on a Floyd tour. What was he thinking of? :P[/quote]
Money.... [ not the song ] ;)
Dave Gilmour loved the sound of that Jazz Bass.

Back OT...
Lee Sklar

Garry

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='417220' date='Feb 23 2009, 10:28 AM']Mr. Pratt loses a point or two for playing a Jazz on a Floyd tour. What was he thinking of? :P[/quote]

And another for living up to his name by telling my mate to bugger off when asked very politely for advice on bass playing - then letching over his bird.

It's me that's supposed to do that ;)

John McVie for me , Entwhistle , Jamerson , Lynott , Roger Glover - so many pro's doing their jobs well by being more interested in what they should do rather than what they can do.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='417431' date='Feb 23 2009, 02:07 PM']Never read anyone on here ever bag on Mani or Peter Hook. The occiasional 'not my cup of tea' but that's as far as anyone's gone.

I've definitely read criticisms of Enthwistle here.[/quote]

Really weird you mention Mani, I was going to bring him up. Great player ;)