Why become a member? ×

Lakland Duck Dunn Skyline or Japanese Fender Precision?

Linus27

In my hunt for a Precision bass, I have now found myself at another crossroads. Either waiting for a Vintage Japanese Fender Precision comes up for sale or look at the Lakland Duck Dunn Precision. I know the Japanese Fender is going to be great but I know nothing about Lakland basses. My main concern is the sound. I am really after that 70's Fender Precision gritty growl. The sort of sound similar on the Stranglers song Peaches. Is this something the Lakland Duck Dunn can produce? Is this what it sounds like or is it more of a muddy Motown type of sound? I am also planning on this bass being my main workhorse so I want it to be reliable or sound right.

Is it worth me looking at the Lakland Duck Dunn or would it be wise to hold out for th Jap Fender Precision. My budget is about £500 so I am looking at secondhand.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Linus27

The DD with a Fralin pickup will give you a JJ Burnel or a Jamerson type sound depending how you EQ your amp, as will the Jap Fender P. They'll both give you the sound you want but I'd say that the Lakland would have the better quality pick ups, the Japan P pup is a bit thin but some come with US pups. DDs are great basses as all all Laklands.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='416207' date='Feb 21 2009, 03:49 PM']I'd personally look at the Lakland. They're top top quality. The only thing to bear in mind though is that the neck on the Duck Dunn is a Jazz bass profile, not a P neck.[/quote]

...not the one at Absolute... 1 3/4" nut and plays like a dream... want, want, want.

[quote name='Linus27' post='416170' date='Feb 21 2009, 02:49 PM']....In my hunt for a Precision bass, I have now found myself at another crossroads. Either waiting for a Vintage Japanese Fender Precision comes up for sale or look at the Lakland Duck Dunn Precision. I know the Japanese Fender is going to be great but I know nothing about Lakland basses. My main concern is the sound. I am really after that 70's Fender Precision gritty growl. The sort of sound similar on the Stranglers song Peaches. Is this something the Lakland Duck Dunn can produce? Is this what it sounds like or is it more of a muddy Motown type of sound? I am also planning on this bass being my main workhorse so I want it to be reliable or sound right.[/quote]
Any bass will sound like "Peaches" if you turn the treble up, hit the strings hard with a pick and use knackered speakers. The difference between a Lakland and a Fender will be minimal. If, on the other hand, you want the best, most versatile bass for your £500 then it has to be Lakland.

another vote for the lakland but if you want to compare like with like, the lakland bob glaub is the direct equivalent.

The japanese precision come with either a japanese made pick up, or a fender reissue pick up. The Lindy fralin is top notch replacement which I much prefer to the standard fender.

I think the neck finish is nicer on thre lakland as well.

[quote name='ShaunB' post='416299' date='Feb 21 2009, 06:43 PM']...not the one at Absolute... 1 3/4" nut and plays like a dream... want, want, want.[/quote]

The newer candy apple red Lakland DD has a 1.5" nut. The one at Absolute will be the original limited edition Lakland DD which is no longer in production. Very nice too.