Why become a member? ×

The new fleabass!

sshorepunk

Some of you may have seen this, there is a short article in the US bass mag and it was at NAMM apparently. A google search for flea bass is still showing mainly Modulus links, so not that much info around.

[url="http://www.fleabass.com/"]http://www.fleabass.com/[/url]

Some bright colours in there and a bold statement with "If they don't play great, they're not going to the stores. we'll set every one up and make sure it's perfect"

Even got a 30" scale model for small poeple!

Tony

Seems that it's being marketed as a bass for beginners IMO, or at least the amateur musician who just wants to have fun. Hence I wouldn't expect it to cost a lot, which would make you assume it's no where near the quality of his Modulus or say a Stingray etc...

Couldn't therefore imagine him actually endorsing this as his working instrument.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='415459' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:50 PM']well judging by his picture all over the website, I'd say they were very much endorsed by him....[/quote]
i meant he wont be using one on stage, they look like basses for kids...

[quote name='yorick' post='415465' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:53 PM']In the Bass player article Flea says he going to be using these basses exclusively!!! No jazz, modulus or stingrays to be seen...... But for how long?????[/quote]
;)

Flea was rescued from a potential life of crime and jail by getting into music and thus is doing what he can to help kids do the same. He has funded a college and this is his idea of a bass for kids and beginners.

He may play them on stage but they are not supposed to be as good as his endorsement instruments, that's not the point.

Nice to see someone putting something back into our instrument.

Be interesting to see if we get any over here.

[quote]“FLEABASS is born of my love of music education as a studier and a teacher of music, and a lover and a romanticizer of the tradition of it. I wanted students to have an instrument they could fall in love with, and I wanted them to be able to do it with the limited means that most of them have for acquiring one.”[/quote]

I love this. I'm a passionate educator, and having an affordable, decent, celebrity-endorsed product makes me excited. I have no doubt the younger students I teach will be after them, but it will encourage young musicians to play the bass and not just walk into a guitar shop with their parent or guardian saying "I can't play the guitar... buy me a bass".

I like it.

xxx

They are pretty hideous, but they're also very "Flea".

I'd expect the ones he plays onstage to be seriously tweaked (better pickup, hardware, etc), but that they will still look like the production instruments. I'll be interested to hear how they sound, if they've got that Stingray-ish punch he's known for.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415592' date='Feb 20 2009, 05:23 PM']If you look carefully at the pictures you can see his has better tuners. Just thought i'd mention it.[/quote]
theres several with clover like tuners and several of the smaller type, fleas arnt anything different in the pic

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415592' date='Feb 20 2009, 05:23 PM']If you look carefully at the pictures you can see his has better tuners. Just thought i'd mention it.[/quote]

I think his is one of the full-scale versions - you can see several with full-size tuners like the one he's holding.

This looks like a basic mass-produced cheapie to me, not really anything to distinguish it from the low-end Ibbys & Yams etc - apart from that name on the sharp end.

it suprises me flea hasn't gone for a musicman pickup or an active EQ this time. also, is that circle a pickguard, or just painted on? it looks painted on to me.

actually, i'm suprised flea hasn't got a more expensive version out, more "mature" colours, a 3 band EQ, the a musicman pickup, more like you'd expect flea himself to play.